Windows 10: External Hard Drive Permissions Not Working Across Local Computers

Discus and support External Hard Drive Permissions Not Working Across Local Computers in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello! I'm stuck on something that I just do not understand. I cannot get my external hard drives to give me write permissions over my local network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lifereinspired, Mar 28, 2016.

1. External Hard Drive Permissions Not Working Across Local Computers

Hello!

I'm stuck on something that I just do not understand. I cannot get my external hard drives to give me write permissions over my local network in some directions.

I recently replaced our hard drives with SSDs and with the reinstall, I had some difficulty getting the permissions on my external hard drives working correctly. I did several Google searches and read a procedure that I needed to go through adding a user called "Everyone" to each of my drives that I wanted to access and share. I did this and gave "Everyone" full read/write permissions and also went into advanced options (or wherever it is) and chose the checkbox to give all child files and folders these same permissions. It took ages but eventually it all seemed OK. I had one folder which could not be corrected this way and ended up having go change each file individually. Total pain. Anyway, I thought I was all set but if I try to move a file from Machine A to Machine B (the drives are attached to B), I get an error that I don't have permission to do this. No overrides or Admin permissions are an option and when I check the specifics it *is* correctly shared with not only Everyone but this machine as well (so it attempted to fix the permissions itself at some point). However, if I go to Machine B and grab the files from Machine A over the network, I can drag them to the correct location without problem.

I want to understand why this is happening and what I need to do to fix it. Clearly, something isn't correct in the permissions somewhere but I cannot understand what or why. Any help troubleshooting this would be so, so wonderful and very much appreciated. I love to learn as I do this and would really appreciate understanding what went wrong.

Thanks so much!
    PS Both machines are Win 10 Pro and are connected to the same local network, Homegroup and workgroup.

:)

lifereinspired, Mar 28, 2016

2. My external Hard Drive is not been recognize by Windows 10

My external hard drive (Seagate) is not been recognize by Windows 10, before when I was using Windows 7 my external hard drive was working fine. Windows 10 updated on its own with out my permission. The only way it works is if I unplug the hard drive from
    the computer and plug it back in, I have to do this several time so the computer recognize the hard drive. Sometimes I even have to restart my computer so it can be recognize. I need help regarding my issue due to that the hard drive I use has all of my job
    projects.

MarthaZapata81, Mar 28, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    i need microsoft to help me to format a external hardrive,but they need a 6 digit code,where do i find it?

They are using an application, perhaps Team Viewer or something similar, to remote into your computer. You need to install the client on your computer; that's where you get the code number.

Are you sure this really is Microsoft that you're talking to?

To format an external hard drive:

• Attach the external hard drive to a USB port directly on your computer.
    • Sign in to an account with Administrator permissions.
    • Open Disk Management: Settings > System > About > Additional administrative tools > Computer Management > Disk Management
    • Right-click on the external hard drive > Format

Everything on the external hard drive will be erased.

BulldogXX, Mar 28, 2016
  4. External Hard Drive Permissions Not Working Across Local Computers

I thought it may be helpful to be more specific about the error message I receive.

I get an error box that pops up and says "Destination Folder Access Denied" then "You need permission to perform this action" then "(folder name), Type: File Folder, Date Modified: (xyz). My options are "Try Again", "Skip" or "Cancel". This is what is so weird. I get no option to "Continue" for it to try to gain permission and I get no option to override it as an Administrator action which is often another option. I'm really quite stuck. It doesn't matter if I'm trying to use the internal SSD or one of the external hard drives, the error message is the same. I know the permissions work as I can see everything and it's perfect backwards from that computer to this one.

lifereinspired, Mar 28, 2016
  5. krash Win User
    Found this thread trying to solve the same issue.

krash, Apr 1, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

1) are these external HDD's defined as SHARED on the computer these HDD's are connected to
    For example HDD G might be defined originally as shared when it was connected to Computer A - but if you have it now connected to Computer B it won't necessarily be defined as shared so the rest of the network won't have access.

2) Who has permission -- in the permissions tab on Disk properties you might need to add the user who needs to have access.

Windows Networking as I've often said before is really primitive in all sorts of ways --this is one of them.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

External Hard Drive Permissions Not Working Across Local Computers

1. External Hard Drive Permissions Not Working Across Local Computers - Similar Threads - External Hard Drive

2. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hard drive not working: I've been messing around with my external hard drive because I tried to put it in my xbox one s and I didn't really need it in there, i mostly need it for my laptop. I formatted the hard drive on the xbox and now i've put it back into my laptop, the noise comes on when its...
  3. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external hard drive not working: I've been messing around with my external hard drive because I tried to put it in my xbox one s and I didn't really need it in there, i mostly need it for my laptop. I formatted the hard drive on the xbox and now i've put it back into my laptop, the noise comes on when its...
  4. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hard drive not working: I have a 5TB seagate external hard drive, I damaged the pcb usb port and got a replacement and everything works just fine. I'm trying to set up my external storage drive. I plugged it in, noise comes on that it is plugged into the computer, the enclosure power light is on and...
  5. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external hard drive not working: I have a 5TB seagate external hard drive, I damaged the pcb usb port and got a replacement and everything works just fine. I'm trying to set up my external storage drive. I plugged it in, noise comes on that it is plugged into the computer, the enclosure power light is on and...
  6. Sharing a hard drive across computers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sharing a hard drive across computers: Hey everyone, I have multiple Windows 10 computers in my home, and I work with various art and video editing programs. I would like the hard drive that contains the work files and the raw assets to be shared among my computers so that I can edit from any computer in the...
  7. Permissions error on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Permissions error on external hard drive: my permissions are all messed up on my external hard drive and now I can not open my Quickbooks company file that is backed up to it..need some help here..thank you! ***Moved From: Windows 10/Security & privacy***...
  8. Permissions error on external hard drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Permissions error on external hard drive: my permissions are all messed up on my external hard drive and now I can not open my Quickbooks company file that is backed up to it..need some help here..thank you!...
  9. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    external hard drive not working: my external hard drive is not working and idk how to fix it, it is detected it just doesn't do anything... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-not-working/65f9db49-d585-48c4-b39c-5f14565207ca
  10. External hard drives saying local disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drives saying local disk: Hello. I brought a 4 bay external harddrive enclosure and have it hooked up to my laptop ( I will get a computer one day) The issue I have is this. Bay 2 3 and 4 no issues. I have 5 external harddrives. 2 x 2tb 2 x 1 tb a nd 1x 4tb 4 of these drives I wish to keep...