Windows 10: External hard drive problem

Discus and support External hard drive problem in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I got an USB cable to hook up an internal hard drive to my laptop. It will not see the drive. I am trying to use it so I can retrieve the data and also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Miss Bad Wolf, May 25, 2017.

1. External hard drive problem

I got an USB cable to hook up an internal hard drive to my laptop. It will not see the drive. I am trying to use it so I can retrieve the data and also use it to put my one drive stuff on it.

What can I do to troubleshoot this problem?

:)

Miss Bad Wolf, May 25, 2017

2. What about bluetooth3+HS in Symbian Anna ?

An N8 can recognize a big external hard drive, the largest tested that works is a 250Gb external hard drive. The problem in recognizing is if the hard drive can be powered using the measly output of an N8.

chanchan05, May 25, 2017
  3. Snowy11 Win User
    External hard drive problem

Hi all

My pc can't pick up my external hard drive it was working perfectly them all of a sudden it stopped.theres no light on the hard drive anymore.on my pc It doesn't appear in file explorer,it shoes at the bottom on the notification panel that a drive is connected.
    When I go to device manager it's there and it says working properly,there is no drive detected in disk management.i went to devices and printers and right clicked on the drive but it says unavaliable.i downloaded easeus recovery but it can't pick up the drive.
    I've literally tried everything.is there anyway to fix it?I I tried it on another pc and the same thing happened. Is it possible that my external hardrive is broken?I contacted the manufacturer and they sent me instructions but it isn't working. Please can
    you help me resolve it.

Snowy11, May 25, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Is it a laptop (2.5") hard drive or a desktop (3.5") hard drive that you are trying to connect with the cable? If it is a 3.5" desktop hard drive, then you need a power supply/usb cable combination because USB by itself will not provide enough power to a 3.5" desktop hard drive.

Does the drive sound like it is powering up correctly? You should hear it spin up, make a couple of fairly loud clicking noises, then just keep whirring with more subtle clicking noises. What is bad is if the initial, louder clicking noises just keep repeating.

Is the drive showing up in disk management and you just need to assign drive letters to the partitions?

Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

NavyLCDR, May 25, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    If I may expand on the other reply, you have options. The first is the type of drive involved, PATA/Parallel ATA or SATA/Serial ATA. The SATA drives for Desktops and Notebooks use the same type/size physical connections to the motherboard. The PATA Desktop/3.5" use a 40/80-pin/conductor cable and 4-pin Molex power cable. The Notebook PATA has a different number of pins which include the power in the plug or socket. A USB cable in itself may not work but there's kits available to do what you need, latest I've gotten handles both PATA and SATA.
    https://www.cyberguys.com/product-de...=13779&rH=1628
    Note that both SATA and PATA are IDE [the circuit board on them] but PATA as a term came about after the SATA drive became popular so in older uses IDE refers to PATA drives.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. External hard drive problem - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. External Hard Drive Problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive Problems: External Hard connects to pc sound when connecting but is not shown in My PC on explorer - how do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-problems/2c02eed4-8548-4518-b309-27e1c253e5d6
  3. External Hard Drive Problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Problems: External Hard connects to pc sound when connecting but is not shown in My PC on explorer - how do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-problems/2c02eed4-8548-4518-b309-27e1c253e5d6
  4. External Hard Drive Problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External hard drive problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive problem: I had been using my hard drive for a year and a half and today my laptop suddenly stopped detecting it even when it appears on the Devices under Settings. I tried every trick that's usually given like checking if the drivers were up-to-date if the USB cable was the problem,...
  6. External hard drive problem

External hard drive problem: I had been using my hard drive for a year and a half and today my laptop suddenly stopped detecting it even when it appears on the Devices under Settings. I tried every trick that's usually given like checking if the drivers were up-to-date if the USB cable was the problem,...
  7. External hard drive problem

8. External hard drive problem

External hard drive problem: I have 2TB seaget hard disk (HD) . As soon as I attach my hard disk to surface go it shows 100% performance in task manager with 0 reading and writing speed. No antivirus is working as I start scanning it, it stays at 0% for long time until it detaches itself. Even the...
  9. External hard drive problem

External hard drive problem: My Lenovo laptop has Windows 10. I was using a Sony 1 TB external hard drive to store files. Couldn't transfer any more files after it was half full, showing error 0x8007045D. So I saved all my external hard disc files and formatted it. Maybe I made a mistake when I...
  10. Photos and external hard drive problem

Photos and external hard drive problem: Hello, I have an external hard drive full of photos. I am hoping to link these photos to the Windows 10 Photos app without moving them to the laptop's internal hard drive. I want them to stay on the external drive and, furthermore, want any new photos added (from my phone,...