Windows 10: External Hard Drive Questions

Discus and support External Hard Drive Questions in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; There are currently only 2 brands in the world: WD and Seagate, the rest are just re-branded... There may be three, I understand Toshiba make their... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Jesse Williams, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Bree New Member

External Hard Drive Questions

There may be three, I understand Toshiba make their own...
    https://www.backblaze.com/blog/a-loo...a-hard-drives/

2. Bree New Member

That's what I though when I got my first one - I have five now *Biggrin

3. Wiley Coyote, Nov 9, 2017
  4. MrHudson Win User

I would use a USB stick for secondary back up on photos. driver do fail over a period of time.

MrHudson, Nov 13, 2017
  5. I Use 5tb Seagate Backup Plus. Very cost effective. $125.00 or so. Great for Macrium Image backups. Also literally millions of photo storage.

lagunasrfr, Dec 1, 2017
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I'd actually choose the passport size SELF POWERED 4TB external drives -- incredibly portable and easy to move between systems. No power supplies needed either ==> although if running say 3 of these concurrently through a USB3 hub make sure the HUB is powered. I've found even for a basic laptop 2 of these work perfectly concurrenty connected to non charging USB 3 ports.

Backup to these and then remove offline

Cloud etc is fine for small amounts of data but if it's important stuff you can't always guarantee you have Internet access when you need the data.

Different colours too

Seagate Expansion 4 TB USB 3.0 Portable 2.5 inch External Hard Drive for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4: Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories

Outside UK you don't pay 20% VAT so subtract 20% off the price. In UK unlike USA price is shown INCLUDING TAX.

In a lot of countries you won't pay import duties either as these count as "Educational Material". !!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 10, 2017
  7. RolandJS Win User
    "...I would use a USB stick for secondary back up on photos. driver do fail over a period of time..."
    I have learned not to use USB sticks for anything other than: USB trouble-shooting boots and for "sneaker-netting" amongst my home and school laptops. While platter-driven HDs can fail, eventually fail - often early-bird data recovery attempts succeed, mostly.
    Any sudden logical or physical failure of a USB stick usually, mostly, although not always, for me anyhow -- spelled the end of, the doom of, whatever data was on that USB stick. All things considered, USB sticks as secondary backups (meaning such back up the primary backups) can work -- if there is sufficient space on them.

RolandJS, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. External Hard Drive Questions - Similar Threads - External Hard Drive

2. Question about external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about external hard drive: I have an external hard drive and I'm using BitLocker on it. What will happen to it if I connect to the computer using windows under 10? Can I access this?...
  3. Question about external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about external hard drive: I have an external hard drive and I'm using BitLocker on it. What will happen to it if I connect to the computer using windows under 10? Can I access this?...
  4. External Hard drive sharing question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External Hard drive sharing question: Hi there i was wondering you can help me. On my PC, i have setup an external hardrive so it is visible on a network and accesible via a smart hisense TV. Normally it works great but the past few days i have noticed that if i am watching something via the TV on my external...
  5. External Drive question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Drive question: I am planning to buy a new External Drive. At the moment, I have a WD My Passport Ultra which has a pinhole light on its connecting side; do other brands also have a light on them? I am looking at the Toshiba Canvio specifically. I know the question is a little trivial, but...
  6. External Hard Drive Question - seeing two Drive Fs

External Hard Drive Question - seeing two Drive Fs: I have Win 10 Home with two internal drives 128GB SSD (C) containing the Windows OS and a I TB data drive (D). I recently made a disk image of the two drives as source driveswith Macrium and an external Iomega 500GB destination drive (F). Macrium verified that the image was...
  7. Hard Drive Questions

Hard Drive Questions: Hello All Wondering for best compatiblity if i should try to find a Western Digital Black 2TB or it doesn't matter and will work fine with my Western Digital Blue 250GB SSD if i go for say a Seagate 2TB storage drive, Right now have Toshiba 1tb storage drive, kinda thinking...
  8. Wiping External Hard Drive Questions

Wiping External Hard Drive Questions: I have a laptop that i do everything on mostly. I have a usb drive that i back up information on and also a 1tb external hard drive as well. However, the thing is a while back i had an issue with an old laptop that did not work anymore and went to a repair shop and they were...
  9. Hard Drive question

Hard Drive question: Hello Guys, I know this sounds like a hardware question, but I couldn't find the Ten Forums version of the Seven Forums ''Seagate for Dos, how to use'' anywhere after a search. If I may.. does anyone here know how the bad sector repair functions? After performing a long...
  10. Question regarding external hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Question regarding external hard drive: hi there, I have an 500 gigs external HDD connected to my desktop. Is it ok to temporarily remove it to my laptop? I am worried about the label. Will it get different label on the laptop than on the desktop and is that something to worry about. In other words, will the...