Windows 10: External Hard drive shuts down Windows 10

Discus and support External Hard drive shuts down Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Ever since the anniversary update, for some reason, when I unplug my external hard drive Windows 10 decides to close down, not crash, as it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by joanchop, Aug 19, 2016.

1. joanchop Win User

External Hard drive shuts down Windows 10

Hi
    Ever since the anniversary update, for some reason, when I unplug my external hard drive Windows 10 decides to close down, not crash, as it politely tells me it is shutting down. I use the 'eject external usb/hard drive etc' button and wait for the safely eject comment. How can I eject the hard drive without Windows closing please?

:)

joanchop, Aug 19, 2016

2. Stuck on the shutdown screen

I have a hp laptop running windows 10, i have no idea the make maybe an evy but not really sure.
    It shut down properly and when i opened it it is stuck on the shut down screen, i cannot hold the power button or cut the power as i have an external hard drive still attached (that has been installed and stuff properly, trust)
    My question is can i shut it down without corrupting the external hard drive partitions and assigned letter ect.
    I have had this issue before on several occasions and powering down fixs the laptop but corrupts the external hard drive (i know i sould of removed the hard drive before shutting, but i didn't so there) and i need the information on the external hard drive
    as this is my back-ups back-up.
    If its a simple case of 'no your going to loose all the information on it' then thats what it is...BUT if there IS a way to shut it down without powering down or taking the battery out then it would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Lewialex91, Aug 19, 2016
  3. Windows 10 external hard drive driver

My way to make SCSI External Hard Drive work with Windows 10:

1. Plug in SCSI Hard drive to computer ( Ex: Samsung T3, All external hard drive Seagate..)

2. Open Device Manager ( Right Click on Windows Logo then choose Device Manager)

3. Explore Disk Drive we will see the SCSI device with a yellow triangle.

4. Left click to open SCSI device properties.

5. Choose tap Driver

6. Click Disable device.

7. The Device Manager window will become unresponsible.

8. Ignore this symptom then wait about 30 second.

9. Shut down computer then UNPLUG the SCSI external hard drive AFTER the computer ready shut down. ( If Windows do not shut down we might forced it shut down)

10. Turn On the computer then wait until it's ready stable.

11. Plug SCSI external hard drive back to computer.

12. Open Device Manager.

13. Explore Disk Drive, this time we will see the SCSI device with a + inside a circle.

14. Left click to open SCSI device properties.

15. Choose tap Driver.

16. Click Enable device.

17. Now the SCSI will begin working.

18. Before shut down the computer ALWAYS come back to the SCSI driver to Disable device so next time when we plug it in , it will work after we ENABLE DEVICE.

the SCSI will work after we enable

TNguyen_SAT, Aug 19, 2016
Thema:

External Hard drive shuts down Windows 10

1. External Hard drive shuts down Windows 10 - Similar Threads - External Hard drive

2. NAS shut down, causing problems with connected external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NAS shut down, causing problems with connected external hard drive: Windows 10 Home 21H1 Should this happen or is this a glitch in Windows 10? I have Windows 10 set up to Store files to a Synology NAS from a Windows PC within the local network, using Map Network Drive. I turned the NAS off (due to having some electrical work done) and forgot...
  3. External hard drives and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drives and Windows 10: I have 2 hard drives. When I connect them to Windows 7, there are no issues ejecting them. They always eject seamlessly. In Windows 10, however, what happens are: 1. I often have to resort to going to Control Panel, Device Manager to uninstall an external hard drive as...
  4. External Hard Drive and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive and Windows 10: So I’ve been using two external hard drives on Windows 7. I just use them for file storage and not for Windows automated back-up. I have a different external hard drive for the automated back-up. Can I just physically connect the two external hard drives I use for file...
  5. External hard drive

External hard drive: When I plug in my hard drive I get a message (F:\is not accessible.) Access is denied. Why, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/7469afee-e3f1-4499-9926-b55a995943bb
  6. external hard drive

external hard drive: Why is windows not recognizing my external hard drive, its fn 2019 this s should be plug and play your os is garbage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/8a51c6c8-175f-4d84-b6e7-84ab2697752f
  7. external hard drives

external hard drives: Earlier this week windows did an update and since then it is failing to recognise some of my external hard drive, also windows keeps crashing and re-booting, everything was working fine until update...
  8. Windows 10 keeps External Hard Drive running during shut down

Windows 10 keeps External Hard Drive running during shut down: I switched over to Windows 10 and noticed my external hard drive stays on after shut down. I think it has to do with Fastboot. Is this ok or should I always eject before shutdown? 117779
  9. Windows 10 keeps External Hard Drive running during shut down

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 keeps External Hard Drive running during shut down: I switched over to Windows 10 and noticed my external hard drive stays on after shut down. I think it has to do with Fastboot. Is this ok or should I always eject before shutdown? 117779
  10. External Hard Drive (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External Hard Drive (Windows 10): Hello, I have been using 2TB external hard drive for a couple of months and at the beginning I had no problems with it. Recently I noticed that my hard drive was taking longer and longer to load and open up the files although I only had like 600 GB filled. Just now, the...