Windows 10: external hard drives impacting startup performance

Discus and support external hard drives impacting startup performance in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My PC performance with Windows 10 is very good except when it isn't *Smile One of the things that is perplexing me is that my external hard drives... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by tankbuster, Jan 23, 2016.

1. external hard drives impacting startup performance

My PC performance with Windows 10 is very good except when it isn't *Smile

One of the things that is perplexing me is that my external hard drives seem to be impacting my startup performance. Following start up Task Manager performance tab shows one of my external drives (G) working at nearly 100% and the noisy disk drive suggests that it is working hard. The disk transfer rate also indicates movement between the PC and the drive. This is despite Drive G being used only as a storage/backup device with no automated actions configured. Yesterday Drive G became very hot as a result.

If I disconnect Drive G, my second external hard drive Drive F takes its place and task manager shows the same activity as previously shown on G. If both drives are connected F shows no activity.

Can anybody explain what is going on. All feedback will be very greatly appreciated

:)

tankbuster, Jan 23, 2016
  2. Erdeslawe Win User

LOST ALL MY FILES IN UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10

If your backups are not stored on an external drive (or preferably multiple drives) that can be easily detached from your PC, then they are at nearly as much risk as copies of the original data on the C:\ Drive, as the potential impact of a major system
    crash, or significant electrical spike is not limited solely to the 'main' Hard Drive. if they were stored safely on an external drive then the cause of the loss cannot possibly be directly related to any software upgrade that went wrong.

Erdeslawe, Jan 23, 2016
  3. Windows 10 scans an external drive at startup

Why does Windows 10 perform a scan and repair on my external hard drive at startup? This took 4 hours!

Is there setting that I need to change to prevent this from re-occurring?

***Post moved to the appropriate forum category, and subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***

[Original Title: Windows 10 Startup]

YsbeerLombard, Jan 23, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

external hard drives impacting startup performance

Do you have your AV set to scan external drives upon connection?
    Still that wouldn't cause a drive to become "hot".
    Did your laptop come with W10 installed? Have you removed all unnecessary Acer bloatware?

simrick, Jan 23, 2016
  5. I don't know, I don't think so, I will check
    I have removed a lot of bloatware but probably not all, I shall have a look and see what else I can get rid of

I am currently looking at Control Panel/Hardware and Sound in case that has something to do with it. I have Autoplay for all devices ticked, I will try unticking

Thanks for the ideas

tankbuster, Jan 23, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    You're welcome. If you want to research this more, we'd have to employ Task Manager and probably Process Explorer for clues.

simrick, Jan 23, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    Everytime Windows has to boot up. It has to index any files on connected drives.

If the drive is making a lot of noise. That is a sign that it is failing.

bro67, Jan 24, 2016
  8. external hard drives impacting startup performance

Thanks for your thoughts. My thoughts follow.
    1. That means that this happens everytime I boot up and has always done so. Possible. I only investigated because startup was getting a bit slow.
    2. The flaw in what you say is that my G drive is showing 99% capacity for a good 5 minutes or so after boot up but my second external drive F does not show anything other than a very minor recognition for a second. If I disconnect G than F takes over as the 99% which suggests that it is not a drive problem.
    3. If I am worried about it I could just disconnect both drives and just plug them in when I need them

Thanks again, your input is apprceiated

tankbuster, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

external hard drives impacting startup performance

1. external hard drives impacting startup performance - Similar Threads - external hard drives

2. Is driver performance impacted by if its on a SSD or SATA drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is driver performance impacted by if its on a SSD or SATA drive?: Does a driver need a fast hard drive to work its best? Does it matter? Many programs don't care if they are on a fast SSD or a typical 7200 rpm SATA drive. But some do. But what about drivers? Say for a video card?...
  3. Is driver performance impacted by if its on a SSD or SATA drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is driver performance impacted by if its on a SSD or SATA drive?: Does a driver need a fast hard drive to work its best? Does it matter? Many programs don't care if they are on a fast SSD or a typical 7200 rpm SATA drive. But some do. But what about drivers? Say for a video card?...
  4. Startup impact not measured

in Windows 10 Customization
    Startup impact not measured: A month before when i went to task manger i saw that all the startup impact were not measured. I saw many solutions to fix the problem and i also tried all of them but none of them worked and at last performed a formated C: drive and performed a clean installation of windows...
  5. External Drive impacting computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Drive impacting computer: Running Windows 10, and when I connect a Western Digital external drive My Passport 5TB it severely impacts the performance of my computer. The keyboard locks up, and the mouse performance is severely impacted..... Solution?...
  6. external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external hard drive: What external hard drive do you recommend for back-up on Dell Inspiron 3671. I do not want to save to the cloud. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/c23fb5c0-2b97-457d-81ca-3a824c7e6f1a
  7. External hard drive

External hard drive: When I plug in my hard drive I get a message (F:\is not accessible.) Access is denied. Why, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/7469afee-e3f1-4499-9926-b55a995943bb
  8. external hard drive

external hard drive: Why is windows not recognizing my external hard drive, its fn 2019 this s should be plug and play your os is garbage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/8a51c6c8-175f-4d84-b6e7-84ab2697752f
  9. external hard drives

external hard drives: Earlier this week windows did an update and since then it is failing to recognise some of my external hard drive, also windows keeps crashing and re-booting, everything was working fine until update...
  10. external hard drives

external hard drives: I have two external hard drives I used on two different computers. On both computers I backed up all information onto the external hard drives before installing windows 10 on both computers. I was running windows 7 on both computers before the installation. On both computers...