Windows 10: External Hard Drives no longer working

Discus and support External Hard Drives no longer working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, having some really frustrating issues with my laptop and had to create a profile on this site as nothing seems to be working. I have an Acer Aspire... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by fac1987, Dec 24, 2015.

1. fac1987 Win User

External Hard Drives no longer working

Hi, having some really frustrating issues with my laptop and had to create a profile on this site as nothing seems to be working. I have an Acer Aspire running Windows 10 (version 1511, OS Build 10586.36). I have been travelling for a while so haven't updated for quite some time, I think it was an update from a few weeks ago. Most things seem ok but seems to be a problem with the USB drives. Prior to the update, I had an external mouse and four extrenal hard drives (1 NTFS, 2 exFAT, 1 HFS+ which I connect use with Paragi HFS+), all of which worked fine. However, after the update, the external mouse works fine but only one of the hard drives (I think an exFAT one) appears in Windows Explorer. The mouse still works when I connect it. All the drives show up in the Devices list (and I can eject them). I have both USB 2 and USB 3 ports, neither work. The hard drives all still work on my girlfriend's Mac so there is no hardware problem. A quick search online seems to say that I should change the letter on the hard drive but when I go to disk management to change the letters, I get an error along the lines of 'The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-tp-date.....' It then tells me to refresh/restart, both of which I have done. I have even tried to run as administrator and then I get an error saying the path is not specified or something like that. I have no idea where to turn now. Can anyone help please?

:)

fac1987, Dec 24, 2015

2. External hard drive no longer recognized

I have tried what was recommended. I believe my problems extends to a "program" or 'drivers installed in 2003 to present" which have something written with in and whenever I yes to update the existing problem continues. I believe that is how 3 brand
    new computers that had gotten the "parameters within the big brother computer" and no matter how many thousands of dollars I put into professionals looking to see what is wrong they haven't been able to find it. Oh except for the company who protected the
    work group and home group who wants me to spend another 200.00 so they can "fix" it. I realize now after trusting those who took care of the home "business, work, and home group" that the reason my Bluetooth stopped, letters would repeat themselves, my optical
    drive stated that "it was no longer available" and many other aspects which ignored any privacy, for me as well many other issues. At the present time, if I have this specific company's firewall up it knocks me offline completely and there isn't anyway
    of getting online except to uncheck the box that has their software in. Mind you not only have I paid for their software to protect my computers they have given me a 24/7 number that never answers. And a supervisor at this company stated it is always manned
    because it is 24/7. The company has been less than helpful. I need to be able to change every driver as well as other tools with in these 3 computers. I already had my laptop fixed by a professional. It is a almost 3 years old, used one month to get on
    the web, then I couldn't stay on line, it sat for 2 3/4 years until I brought it in under warranty, but the warranty didn't cover the problems. I don't think there is a way to fix these problems as there could be problems with the server also. I just don't
    know. I am thankful to the responses I have received. I would appreciate any advice others who read this can give me. Big Brother has died, thus all computers are accessible to me. Thank you.

cindechurm, Dec 24, 2015
  3. External hard drive no longer recognized

I had windows 7 and updated to Windows 10. Windows 7 did recognize my external hard drive but now after using it several times with windows 10 it doesn't recognize it. How can this happen? What am I doing that I need to do or not do?

<Original title - External hard drive >

cindechurm, Dec 24, 2015
Thema:

External Hard Drives no longer working

1. External Hard Drives no longer working - Similar Threads - External Hard Drives

2. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hard drive not working: I've been messing around with my external hard drive because I tried to put it in my xbox one s and I didn't really need it in there, i mostly need it for my laptop. I formatted the hard drive on the xbox and now i've put it back into my laptop, the noise comes on when its...
  3. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external hard drive not working: I've been messing around with my external hard drive because I tried to put it in my xbox one s and I didn't really need it in there, i mostly need it for my laptop. I formatted the hard drive on the xbox and now i've put it back into my laptop, the noise comes on when its...
  4. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hard drive not working: I have a 5TB seagate external hard drive, I damaged the pcb usb port and got a replacement and everything works just fine. I'm trying to set up my external storage drive. I plugged it in, noise comes on that it is plugged into the computer, the enclosure power light is on and...
  5. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external hard drive not working: I have a 5TB seagate external hard drive, I damaged the pcb usb port and got a replacement and everything works just fine. I'm trying to set up my external storage drive. I plugged it in, noise comes on that it is plugged into the computer, the enclosure power light is on and...
  6. Seagate External Hard Drive not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate External Hard Drive not working: I have been trying for several months to understand why my external drive is not working, there are no drive lights flashing although it is humming. I have checked it all out in Device Manager, etc and it recorded as healthy and running correctly. In frustration I have...
  7. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    external hard drive not working: my external hard drive is not working and idk how to fix it, it is detected it just doesn't do anything... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-not-working/65f9db49-d585-48c4-b39c-5f14565207ca
  8. Bipra external USB Hard Drive no longer connects

Bipra external USB Hard Drive no longer connects: My BIPRA external USB Hard Drive has stopped connecting. I use it to provide ample extra storage for my 2-in-1 tablet PC, mainly for backup purposes, which it did very well until recently. Now it either does not connect at all, or if it does it is not good enough to enable...
  9. External Hard Drive stopped working

External Hard Drive stopped working: I have windows 10 and my external hard drive suddenly stopped appearing on My Computer. It does appear on the device manager. I tried to update the drivers and uninstall the Drive and nothing works....
  10. External Hard drive No Longer Working! [urgent]

External Hard drive No Longer Working! [urgent]: PLEASE HELP! Okay so i have an external hard drive, western digital, almost exactly a year old. i was tagging/playing.organizing some music when things went really weird. I wasn't able to access certain files, files and folder were undeletable because they were not there...