Windows 10: External harddisk - No access in Windows 10

Discus and support External harddisk - No access in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have this WD 3707a external HDD that I use as a third backup for my Synology NAS. In the NAS I use a feature called Hyper Backup to back up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Hoggorm, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Hoggorm Win User

External harddisk - No access in Windows 10

Hi,

I have this WD 3707a external HDD that I use as a third backup for my Synology NAS. In the NAS I use a feature called Hyper Backup to back up pictures to the WD HDD.

Hyper Backup and the NAS can easily read the contents of the NAS, however when plugging the HDD into a Windows 10 PC, it is reported to be not accessible...

External harddisk - No access in Windows 10 [​IMG]

The text in the image say:

Location not available

F:\ is not available

The file or folder is damaged and cannot be read

Can this be fixed somehow?

Thank you

:)

Hoggorm, Jan 18, 2018

2. my harddisk can't delete a file showing error 0x80070570 in windows 10,saw online to perform chkdsk function,will it delete my files,what does it do

my harddisk can't delete a file showing error 0x80070570 in windows 10,saw online to perform chkdsk function,will it delete my files,what does it do,how long does it take..

And how to delete the file without further issues on the external harddisk

hellbreaker, Jan 18, 2018
  3. External hard drive does not show up in File Explorer on Windows 10.

NOT HELFUL

NEITHER WD ELEMENT IS WORKING NOR THE SEAGATE EXTERNAL HARDDISK IS WORKING OR SHOWING.

WINDOW 8 WAS EXCELLENT BUT WINDOW 10 IS SO BAD /POOR /IRRETATING

THDEEPAKCHANDEL, Jan 18, 2018
  4. External harddisk - No access in Windows 10

What file system is your Synology NAS using and is it setting any kind of protection status?

Caledon Ken, Jan 19, 2018
  5. Hoggorm Win User
    It uses NTFS and there is no protection on these backups. The strange thing is that I had three external disks where two of them was not able to be read in Windows. They were perfectly fine when opened via the NAS.

After formatting one of the two broken disks it works fine in Windows 10. The reason I do not want to format the last drive as well is because it contains more backup versions...

Hoggorm, Jan 19, 2018
  6. Maybe it would help if you posted disk mgmt shot with all columns opened.

Someone might spot something.

Caledon Ken, Jan 19, 2018
  7. Hoggorm Win User
    I'm sorry that I mislead you... The filesystem on the affected HDD is RAW, not NTFS... I have three external disks connected to the NAS from time to time, and the other two are NTFS. This last one not working is RAW... I assume that is the issue then? I do not know how that happened... I am sure I formatted it to NTFS, but apparently, I have not...

External harddisk - No access in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Hoggorm, Jan 20, 2018
  8. External harddisk - No access in Windows 10

Raw is no file system as far as I know.

If you plug it back into where it belongs, I think you said you use it as a backup to NAS do the files show.

I will try to get someone who I think is the best on the forum with data issues.

Caledon Ken, Jan 21, 2018
  9. zbook New Member
    A drive that is RAW is being interpreted as RAW. It does not mean the drive is RAW.
    For example you could move a windows drive from one computer to the secondary bay of another computer.
    The second computer could read it as a RAW drive but it still has all of the files intact.

There is a boot error: inaccessible boot drive
    When the drive is viewed in diskpart it will typically display the drive as RAW.
    There are troubleshooting steps to fix the RAW interpretation so that the files can be read.

zbook, Jan 21, 2018
  10. jumanji Win User
    "Hyper Backup and the NAS can easily read the contents of the NAS",

If that is the case, can you not copy the files to another HDD and then format the drive as you did in the case of other two HDDs? ( Or am I naive and that is why I skipped this thread? *Biggrin)

jumanji, Jan 23, 2018
  11. zbook New Member
    zbook, Jan 23, 2018
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

probably the easiest solution is for the NAS to copy relevant files to another device - then you can re-format / repair the other HDD.

You could also possibly try booting a live Linux distro and see if it can read the files -- if so you can then copy them to another device in case your NAS can't do it.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 23, 2018
  13. Hoggorm Win User

You are not naive at all, and this was actually the solution to the problem *Biggrin I connected both the affected HDD and a spare HDD to the NAS, and copied the contents over to the spare. After connecting it to the Windows computer everything was working perfectly and I could once again read the contents!

Thank you all for the help, and sorry for the delayed response.

Hoggorm, Jan 27, 2018
  14. Happy ending. Glad you got your data back.

Caledon Ken, Jan 28, 2018
  15. jumanji Win User
    Copying the data visible and accessible on the NAS to another drive was an obvious solution and we took it. Even jimbo45 recommended it later.
    OK, fine. Make no mistake. I am still naive *Biggrin . 1. I still do not know why that drive was all true on the NAS but RAW when plugged into directly on Windows. Someone has to enllighten me. 2. I still do not know or makeout what you did further on the "affected drive". ( I am late to the party due to other exigencies and also I lost track of this thread.)

Notwithstanding, I am reporting to admins/mods to mark this thread solved on your behalf..(Oops... it is already marked as solved)

jumanji, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. External harddisk - No access in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - External harddisk access

2. External Harddisk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Harddisk: I do have a 1 TB harddisk and want to confirm whether it is physically damaged or there's another problem.The issues that I am facing with the harddisk are:1. It is not instantly recognized by my pc, it takes more than 5 seconds unlike other memory devices.2. Harddisk always...
  3. External Harddisk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Harddisk: I do have a 1 TB harddisk and want to confirm whether it is physically damaged or there's another problem.The issues that I am facing with the harddisk are:1. It is not instantly recognized by my pc, it takes more than 5 seconds unlike other memory devices.2. Harddisk always...
  4. External Harddisk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Access to an external harddisk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Access to an external harddisk: I am trying to access my external harddisk. I get the following message: Location is not available D: is not accessible Access is denied https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-to-an-external-harddisk/524318e6-229a-4616-827c-8ad132e5817a
  6. External Harddisk

External Harddisk: Hello guys! Please help me with this, I will try my best at explaining the problem. First of all, I have a Seagate expansion hard disk 1TB HDD in which I have really important files. And it worked perfectly until 1 hour ago, when it was plugged in the computer USB port works...
  7. Problem of external harddisk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem of external harddisk: [IMG] I have external hard disk wd..I have problem to transfer from my external hard disk to laptop.it too slow to transfer data..it takes 3 hours to transfer 2gb only..I already chkdsk but have error at examining file name linkage..how to solve my problem..thank you...
  8. Accessing external harddisk connected via USB

Accessing external harddisk connected via USB: How do I make a connected USB drive (ie, an external harddisk connected via a USB port) visible in the File Explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/accessing-external-harddisk-connected-via-usb/2ca4e8e3-10bc-4bc6-a639-4c7676d320a2
  9. Taking backup on External Harddisk

Taking backup on External Harddisk: I need to take back-up from Laptop (where Encryption bit locker is enabled) to External hard disk. When I connect my External hard disk, Win 10 OS is asking me to enable Encryption without which OS will not allow me to copy the data. Pls can you let me know if I enable...
  10. Problem accessing my external harddisk Iomega HDD

Problem accessing my external harddisk Iomega HDD: My harddisk Iomega HDD seems to connect to a drive, and I see folders, but when I click on the folders, I can't access it. It seems a Windows 10 problem. Have it after the latest update. No problem on windows 7 This is the error I see in device manager: Device...