Windows 10: External HD space not restored after deleting macrium image.

Discus and support External HD space not restored after deleting macrium image. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I booted with macrium 7.1 rescue media usb stick. After verifying new image, deleted old image. As there is no recycle bin, I thought it is permenantly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by lvgandhi, Sep 29, 2017.

1. lvgandhi Win User

External HD space not restored after deleting macrium image.

I booted with macrium 7.1 rescue media usb stick. After verifying new image, deleted old image. As there is no recycle bin, I thought it is permenantly deleted. But when I booted, I found space not restored for deledted image.
    I made one more image again in normal laptop boot and deleted it. Then I emptied recycle bin. Even then only space was restored for newly created and deleted image, not for old deleted image.

How to recover the space?

:)

lvgandhi, Sep 29, 2017
  2. Phil_A1 Win User

Loading an image (Macrium Reflect) of my C drive into a brand-new pc to retain browser settings, etc.

Thanks for the reply Gordon. So, connect the external HD that has the image, to the new pc, boot it up, and then run the 'restore' function of Macrium Reflect, for that particular image, is that correct?

Phil_A1, Sep 29, 2017
  3. FRN2016 Win User
    Need driver to restore system image from external HD?

I just upgraded win7 ultimate 64 bits to win10 pro 64 bits. My HD is partitioned in drive C (system) and drive D (only data). In windows 7 I used the backup option to save the system image on an external HD. At least once a month, I restore the image, run
    all the updates and make a new system image. So I am sure that I get rid of any unwanted stuff that sneaked in without my knowledge. I have this habit since my Windows 2000 once crashed and I needed to install everything from scratch - that is when I got acronis to
    do the imaging.

After I upgraded to windows 10, same way, I made a system image on my external HD plus the new restore CD. To see if the restore image will work, I booted with the restore cd and external HD connected to the usb. To my surprise, the file WindowsImageBackup
    not shows on the list, like it happened in Windows 7 restore. It shows 3 options: from DVD, from network or from external HD. I chose the external HD (there is where my backup file is) and it asks me to install a driver. When I click on the button, it opens
    a window where lots of files are listed, including, I was able to search the external HD for the desired driver (so if it can access my external HD, why it not finds the image file???). All files that I chose, the restore software rejected, it was not what
    it wanted. I restarted windows and went to "Devices and Printers" to see what drivers are connected with the external HD, copied the drivers to the external HD, restarted with the restore CD, and no, no one of that drivers made the restore software happy.
    I not know what driver it is talking about. It`s frustrating!

I made another test: copied WindowsImageBackup from external HD to drive D on computer, booted with the restore CD, but it not finds the file there also, he wants me to have it on dvds, on network or, if external hd, it wants a driver installed that I not
    know what driver that is.

External HD is WD "my passport ultra metal edition 2 TB". Any idea what to do? I want to be able to restore my system images from the external HD, not from tons of DVDs that also may want, who knows, what mysterious drivers?

Has any one of you tried to restore the system image in windows 10?

FRN2016, Sep 29, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

I am afraid this is not clear. Are you saying that when you deleted image on external drive space is not freed?

Also, are you running Free version?

cereberus, Sep 29, 2017
  5. lvgandhi Win User
    Yes, for deleted image space is not freed.
    Today I downloaded free 7.1 refelect free for home. Installed and made rescue usb stick.
    After verifying latest image while booting with latest rescue disk, I deleted old image. As there is no recycle bin, I thought it will be fully deleted.
    But when I booted as normal laptop, I saw external HDD spacewas not freed. I made one more image in same location of external HDD and deleted it. However when I emptied recycle bin, it only emptied latest deletion. that much space for latest only freed.

lvgandhi, Sep 29, 2017
  6. Bastet Win User
    Are you using the trial version of MR home or did you decline the offer & are using the free version?
    Version 7.1 home now has Macrium Image Guardian which prevents deleting images unless from inside MR, this feature is to prevent malware from removing images to prevent recovery.

Bastet, Sep 29, 2017
  7. lvgandhi Win User
    I am using macrium home 7.1 free.

External HD space not restored after deleting macrium image. [​IMG]

As I saw Image Guardian needs to upgrade from free to paid version.

lvgandhi, Sep 30, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Run Treesize on external drive and post image.

cereberus, Sep 30, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    But OP has deleted file. MIG just does not allow you to delete it and you get an error.nessage albeit obscure.

I have actually turned MIG off as I save backups offline, and regularly make/delete images, and frankly it just gets in my way.

cereberus, Sep 30, 2017
  10. Bastet Win User
    I was thinking the backup image wasn’t fully deleted. Also that the OP had begun using the trial of the full version when he/she downloaded the free version.

Bastet, Sep 30, 2017
  11. lvgandhi Win User
    Thanks for the response. I have copied all folders from problematic external HDD to laptop and another external drive and formatted that drive. Hence I can not do it.

As I have said and put the pic, I have installed and used only home free 7.1. I have not used trial version.

lvgandhi, Sep 30, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    Then mark this thread as closed as there is nothing else we can do.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. External HD space not restored after deleting macrium image. - Similar Threads - External space restored

2. Macrium: image and restore to smaller drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium: image and restore to smaller drive: Hey all, First-time poster and also new to Macrium. I have a 1TB M.2 SSD in my laptop that I want to image, transfer to another computer, and then I want to restore the image to a smaller (500GB) replacement M.2 drive. I'm working with only 1 M.2 slot, so I created a Macrium...
  3. Restoring Macrium Reflect image

Restoring Macrium Reflect image: I really need help. Let me say first that the image I made with MR is about 1.5 yrs old. I see no reason why that should matter. I opened Macrium Reflect and went to the Restore heading. There I browsed to and selected the image I wanted to restore. This is what I see:...
  4. Issues after Restoring image to a bigger SSD with Macrium

Issues after Restoring image to a bigger SSD with Macrium: Hi, I wanted to upgrade my pc replacing a 256GB SSD with a 512GB SSD. So I followed this guide (Upgrading laptop SSD to larger SSD using Macrium and external HDD): Capture an IMAGE of the ENTIRE original drive to a file on your external drive. Swap out the SSD. Boot into...
  5. Macrium Restore Image

Macrium Restore Image: I just performed a clean install from 1809 ISO saved the MR image of the clean install to my ext. USB HD and 64GB 3.0 flash drive. This morning I tested the clean install from the flash drive, MR went through all the image restore set up then I received an error message...
  6. Macrium Reflect Restoring a Failed HD Image

Macrium Reflect Restoring a Failed HD Image: I have been finding my way. While I can navigate through my original file tree in the image I am now inferring that I cannot directly extract portions of it, say my User files. Restoring an image is an all or nothing proposition?. Is this correct? If so I am thinking...
  7. Macrium Reflect image will not delete?

Macrium Reflect image will not delete?: I've been using the free version for a few years. I downloaded the paid home version's 30 day trial. Before running my daily, scheduled backup to an external drive, I ran a test image to a flash drive (T:\Macrium TEST Onedrive\BE1C13BDDEE1C020-00-00.mrbak). I tried to delete...
  8. Questions concerning restored images in macrium

Questions concerning restored images in macrium: I know cloning a drive will in essence replicate it, but I have a question about imaging your OS and data partitions. If you image the OS and data partitions and restore them on a target drive...... will the restored target drive be able to boot Windows or just...
  9. Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable

Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable: Good day, I bought a new desktop (Lenovo Gaming IdeaCentre Computer, Y710 Cube-15). It comes with a pitiful 100 GB SSD + 1 TB HD. My existing desktop has a 460GB SSD + 3 TB HD. I'd like to move my existing SSD + HD over to the new Lenovo desktop. It seems that this could...
  10. Safe to use external HD for both 'Macrium Images' and Personal files?

Safe to use external HD for both 'Macrium Images' and Personal files?: -I have a 2TB external HD (lets call this ExHD_1) that I am currently using to create 'Images' of only my SSD. I think having 2 months worth of the SSD image is enough, then when I create a new one, I then delete the one at the back of the queue...if that makes sense......