Windows 10: External HDD can't be read completely and causes lag

Discus and support External HDD can't be read completely and causes lag in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; good day. i have a toshiba canvio 3.0 1tb that can be read by my laptop. the long story is my ehdd had bad sectors and causes corruption in my files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Yves0105, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Yves0105 Win User

External HDD can't be read completely and causes lag

good day. i have a toshiba canvio 3.0 1tb that can be read by my laptop. the long story is my ehdd had bad sectors and causes corruption in my files thus i formatted it. After a while i wen into an internet cafe to copy some games after going back to my house and plugging it in my laptop it doesn't stop loading and thus cannot be opened i cant detect it from disk management too since file explorer can't be load by it either ill post some screenshots.

External HDD can't be read completely and causes lag [​IMG]

edit: chkdsk in drive E: can't even continue

:)

Yves0105, Oct 25, 2017
  2. Rheegeaux Win User

Can I clone my laptops OEM windows 10 to an ssd?

I have newly bought a dell laptop with windows 10 preinstalled. I thought that it is better to clone my drive to an ssd and then use my hdd as an external hard drive rather than buying a retail external HDD. Will doing this cause any problems? I have read
    that cloning OEM windows causes motherboard problems.

Rheegeaux, Oct 25, 2017
  3. win10 wont recognise my external HDD

An external HDD is a second disk.

OutbackJoe, Oct 25, 2017
  4. External HDD can't be read completely and causes lag

You may need a new drive. What do you have on it? As far as Data? Is The Cable OK? Can it be read from another PC?

Josey Wales, Oct 25, 2017
  5. If you do not respond it will be hard to help you???

Josey Wales, Oct 25, 2017
  6. Yves0105 Win User
    hello good day i just get back from school i left the chkdsk open while i was in school and it progress through. im trying now to see if my files are corrupted. ill get back to you thanks for answering

Yves0105, Oct 25, 2017
  7. jumanji Win User
    "the long story is my ehdd had bad sectors and causes corruption in my files thus i formatted it."

Once bad sectors started showing and you also knew that the files were getting corrupted, you should have stopped using it and gotten a new drive.

Check disk is not going to repair the bad sectors.

You can check to see whether a Live Linux booted from a flash drive can read your drive and recover any data.
    ( No guarantee whatsoever)

How to create a bootable Lucid Puppy flash drive my post #8 here

https://www.sevenforums.com/hardware...ml#post2936753

Note: Use an empty Flash drive. If there is any data in it all that data will be lost when creating the Lucid Puppy drive.

How to use Lucid Puppy: Lucid Puppy way to recover files from a non-bootable computer - Windows 7 Help Forums

In your case it will be your unreadable external drive.

If Lucid Puppy cannot read your external drive, I don't think there is any other viable solution.

jumanji, Oct 25, 2017
  8. Yves0105 Win User

thanks for the reply. i dont need to recover my data in the external hard drive since its mainly games, i just need to make it bootable again can this lucid puppy format or make the external drive bootable again?

Yves0105, Oct 26, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    If a drive is starting to develop bad sectors then it's going to continue to get worse. You may well need a new one. You can check it's condition with Crystal Disk Info which will read it's SMART data. Any number above 0 for 'Relocated sector count', 'Current Pending Sector Count' or 'Uncorrectable Sector Count' is a bad sign. Chckdsk or other software can mark bad sectors so they don't get used, but it's only a Band-Aid - more are likely to develop later.

The only case where chkdsk may help is if the bad sectors were due to you dropping the drive while it was running - if there's a known cause for the bad blocks the rest of the drive may be OK to use. If they appeared for no apparent reason the drive is probably failing.

Crystal Disk Info is available as a Portable App that doesn't need an install.
    https://portableapps.com/apps/utilit...kinfo_portable

10. jumanji Win User
    Lucid Puppy as well as any other Live Linux will have a formatting Utility - mostly G Parted.

But why do you want to resurrect a bad drive? Are you getting the message? You have to discard the drive. No two ways about it.

jumanji, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. External HDD can't be read completely and causes lag - Similar Threads - External HDD can't

2. External HDD unable to read or write anything on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD unable to read or write anything on it: I've recently bought a 2TB Toshiba Hard drive and i am unable to use it.Every time i try to save anything to it or open anything on it, my whole PC becomes unresponsive. Even if it is just plugged in it stop me from using programs on my PC until i unplug it again and...
  3. External HDD unable to read or write anything on it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HDD unable to read or write anything on it: I've recently bought a 2TB Toshiba Hard drive and i am unable to use it.Every time i try to save anything to it or open anything on it, my whole PC becomes unresponsive. Even if it is just plugged in it stop me from using programs on my PC until i unplug it again and...
  4. Can't safely eject an external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't safely eject an external HDD: I used an external HDD to download a game Forza Horizon 5 and now I can't safely eject it I get the "Device in use prompt". Before whenever I turned off the laptop or ejected the HDD the power light turned off but now even when I shut down the laptop the power light stays on....
  5. Can't safely eject an external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't safely eject an external HDD: I used an external HDD to download a game Forza Horizon 5 and now I can't safely eject it I get the "Device in use prompt". Before whenever I turned off the laptop or ejected the HDD the power light turned off but now even when I shut down the laptop the power light stays on....
  6. Can't safely eject an external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. no connect external hdd cause bsod

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    no connect external hdd cause bsod: hi, my laptop connect external hdd via usb3.0 everything works fine, but no connect external hdd will cause bsod. I already update latest version of intel driver dump: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkO_gpBnT93mg0-afcWWElU6QBEt?e=BRH0jk...
  8. Windows can't access external hdd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows can't access external hdd: Hello So I use a western digital my passport external hdd and windows 10. Previously its been a bit finicky, I assumed its been the cable. Typically it works fine and I store all my media on it. Yesterday I plugged it into my Samsung Q60T TV for the first time, hoping to...
  9. could game lag sometimes be caused by hdd write/read speeds?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    could game lag sometimes be caused by hdd write/read speeds?: I have Minecraft bedrock on my laptop, and it crashes all the time, no matter what. I've also noticed lots of lag, even on the lowest settings on java & bedrcock. I've got a 2015 Toshiba satellite c55-b5100 and, well. Lets say, the hard drive is kind of slow and old, 5...
  10. HDD not reading

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD not reading: Hello, I have a custom built system and I have an SSD and 2 HDD, one is a WD 1TB and the other is a Seagate 3TB. The 3TB drive however does not show in disk management however the disk is shown in device manager and in the properties it reads connected and working properly...