Windows 10: External HDD disappears after a few minutes

Discus and support External HDD disappears after a few minutes in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Good afternoon all, One of my external HDD's disappears after a few minutes; this only started happening since I upgraded to Windows 10. It will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Falcocherrug, Aug 30, 2016.

1. External HDD disappears after a few minutes

Good afternoon all,

One of my external HDD's disappears after a few minutes; this only started happening since I upgraded to Windows 10.

It will show up again after unplugging and plugging it in again, but again only for a few minutes.

Here is what I have done so far:

• Tried both USB 2 and USP 3 ports.
    • Disabled the automatic power off in power management.
    • Tried running the HDD on my laptop (a Mac), where it just works fine.
    • It will not show up in the disk management so I cannot reassign another drive number.
    • I checked in the device manager if there were any issues but everything seems fine.

So briefly, I have run out of options and would be very thankful for any help.

Best regards,

Hanno

:)

Falcocherrug, Aug 30, 2016
  2. trbogt Win User

sound disappears after a few minutes, must reboot to restore

Hi...Ya' I have issues with some audio sounds going off @ times with one of my Windows 8.1 systems....I have to 'Un-install' the driver and Restart the computer.

Sometimes it takes a few times.

It's happened a couple times on my Win 10 systems ....a restart always fixed it.

The best solution is to 'Re-install ' Windows 10

You can get the latest
    Windows 10 Anniversary Download

External HDD disappears after a few minutes [​IMG]

or the latest
    Windows 10 Upgrade and Media Tool

External HDD disappears after a few minutes [​IMG]

*john

trbogt, Aug 30, 2016
  3. sound disappears after a few minutes, must reboot to restore

My Toshiba laptop loses all sounds after a few minutes. Has gotten worse over the past few months. Would last for a few hours, then about 40 minutes, now about 5-10 minutes. Troubleshooting says all devices are working properly. Drivers are up to date.
    I'm not sure if this was happening before I downloaded Windows 10. Sound always returns after restart. Headphone jack not working also. Any ideas?

martinmacdonaldbc, Aug 30, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

External HDD disappears after a few minutes

Solved Suddenly Windows Will Not Recognize My 2TB Seagate USB External Drive - Windows 10 Forums
    Solved External Drive Cannot be Found in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    External drive not detected by computer - Windows 10 Forums
    External Hard Drive Issue. - Windows 10 Forums
    After the anniversary update I can't access my external hard drives anymore! : windows

Hi, many issues with external (and even internal) drives have been reported in the context of Win 10.
    Here's a small sample of posts. See if they give you any suggestions, then post back. Feel free to search for more.

I am beginning to wonder if these problems tend to correlate with certain manufacturers' drives. For example, I've not seen Toshiba mentioned.. which I use and with which I've had no problems - yet.

dalchina, Sep 1, 2016
  5. Bastet Win User
    The majority seem to be Seagate drives so it's possible the problems correlate to certain manufacturers' drives.

Bastet, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

External HDD disappears after a few minutes

1. External HDD disappears after a few minutes - Similar Threads - External HDD disappears

2. Pc freezes after a few minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc freezes after a few minutes: Ive had my pc for a few years but the most recent upgrade was December of 2022. Ive had problems with the pc not booting in may, but that was solved by turning off c-state in bios. For the past week my pc has been freezeing on idle and the only way to fix it was a hard...
  3. Bluetooth keeps disappearing after a few minutes of use

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bluetooth keeps disappearing after a few minutes of use: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/keimarr [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gho8n0/bluetooth_keeps_disappearing_after_a_few_minutes/
  4. Black screen after a few minutes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen after a few minutes: I can boot windows just fine but it always goes black and forces a hard restart with the power button after some minutes. Some times its 2 or sometimes it's 20. Fresh install but problem persists. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. submitted by /u/milofelix [link]...
  5. Notification popping up then disappearing every few minutes.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Notification popping up then disappearing every few minutes.: At random time intervals, usually between a few minutes to an hour, I get a notification saying: "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub... Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access...
  6. Desktop blinks a few minutes after startup, then printer disappears

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Desktop blinks a few minutes after startup, then printer disappears: I installed Windows 10 version 1903 on 9/13/2019. Since then, I have experienced the following behavior. Within five or so minutes of system startup, the screen goes black for a couple of seconds, then the desktop reappears. This always happens twice in a row, a few seconds...
  7. Desktop blinks a few minutes after startup, then printer disappears

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop blinks a few minutes after startup, then printer disappears: I installed Windows 10 version 1903 on 9/13/2019. Since then, I have experienced the following behavior. Within five or so minutes of system startup, the screen goes black for a couple of seconds, then the desktop reappears. This always happens twice in a row, a few seconds...
  8. BSOD after a few minutes of idle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after a few minutes of idle: After leaving my computer alone for a few minutes my computer restarts with a REGISTRY_ERROR BSOD. I have disabled ".NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319 Critical" and ".NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319 64 Critical" and also ran sfc/scannow with no integrity violation. I uninstalled...
  9. WLan disappears after a few minutes. Hama Usb Stick / FritzBox 6360

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WLan disappears after a few minutes. Hama Usb Stick / FritzBox 6360: Greetings, yesterday I updated my Windows 7 Home Premium to windows 10 and actually I really like it. But I got a huge problem that needs to be solved. My computer information Acer Aspire M5810 Desktop-PC: Amazon.de: Computer Zubehör I always used the Hama Usb stick...
  10. USB 3.0 external hard drive disconnects after a few minutes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB 3.0 external hard drive disconnects after a few minutes: I connect my USB 3.0 external hard drive to my laptop and it works but after a few minutes of not using it the disk stops spinning and when I to use it again my computer locks up and after 30-60 seconds it disconnects and reconnects some times. Else I have to pull it out. If...