Windows 10: External HDD is corrupted and unreadable

Discus and support External HDD is corrupted and unreadable in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I ran chkdsk /f and now I get the "inaccessible" message. Is there any way to recover this drive without losing all my video files that are on it? 79455 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by trembuzz, Mar 15, 2017.

1. trembuzz Win User

External HDD is corrupted and unreadable

I ran chkdsk /f and now I get the "inaccessible" message. Is there any way to recover this drive without losing all my video files that are on it?

:)

trembuzz, Mar 15, 2017
  2. Time Lady Win User

External hard drive corrupted and unreadable

Although this refers to a GPT partition & Win XP it should allow you to format the drive under Win 10 - hopefully. External HDD is corrupted and unreadable :)

You might see HD Drive in GPT status on Disk Management.

Go to DOS command line (click on "Start Menu", then "Run", type in "cmd" in textbox, and hit "OK")

Type in "DiskPart" in command line.

Type in "list disk" in command line to show all disks in this machine.

Use "select" to set the focus to the specified partition.

For example "select disk 1".

Use "clean" command to remove GPT disk from the current in-focus disk by zeroing sectors.

Go back to Disk Management, you can see GPT disk is "Not Initialized" now.

Within Disk Management, right click on disk info, choose "Initialize Disk", You can see GPT disk is "Unallocated" now.

Right click on disk info, choose "New Partition…", follow Partition Wizard and format it. Now you are able to use the disk in Windows XP.

Time Lady, Mar 15, 2017
  3. External hard drive corrupted and unreadable

I recently tried to access my external hard drive when it displayed the error message:

'F:\ is not accessible.

The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable.'

I'm not an expert on anything like this, but I searched for solutions to other peoples similar problems, some of which I tried but none of which worked. I tried using command prompt. CHKDSK worked and scanned the hard drive (or did something like that) and
    said there were no problems with anything on it. If I try to use 'CHKDSK f: /f' or '/r' or whatever I get the response:

'The type of the file system is NTFS.

Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted.'

Using 'CHKNTFS f:' gives me the response:

'The type of the file system is NTFS.

Cannot query state of drive F:'

I have tried going onto properties, tools, error checking, but it says 'The disk check can't be performed because Windows can't access the disk.'

Also, on disk management it says the hard drive is completely empty and is using the RAW file system.

I have no idea what to do about this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I would prefer to be able to recover the data on there, but am willing to sacrafice it all if it's much easier than recovering it.

Thanks

Nocturne_96, Mar 15, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

We need all of the specifications, manufacturer and model information. This happens when Windows fails to dismount the drive before a boot or cold shutdown when you have to pull the power when the computer does not respond.

You should have no problem seeing if you can get to the data with a Linux Live DVD. You should never have to run Chkdsk on a External drive. Especially on a SSD or Pen drive unit.

bro67, Mar 15, 2017
  5. jumanji Win User
    1. What prompted you to run chkdsk /f on the external drive?

2. And yes, you should always post the Manufacturer, Model Name/number and capacity of the external drive and also the number of partitions in it.

3. Acer and HP PC/desktop Both are desktops????? Both have Windows 10???? 32bit/64 bit?????

jumanji, Mar 15, 2017
  6. trembuzz Win User
    Hi. It's an Acer with an AMD A10 running windows 10 64 bit. The expansion disk is a Seagate SRD00F2 3TB. I read a post in Tom's hardware. Some guy said he tried it and it worked. It only worked in that the error message doesn't say unreadable or corrupted anymore but access is denied. Would it now be a permissions issue? I've never tried Linux Live before but will look into it.

trembuzz, Mar 15, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    Can you post screenshots of the drive in disk Management can you now see files with correct size?

Samuria, Mar 16, 2017
  8. trembuzz Win User

External HDD is corrupted and unreadable [​IMG]

Here's the screen shot. Properties come up but unable to open.
    t

trembuzz, Mar 16, 2017
  9. jumanji Win User
    @trembuzz,

Do you have another 3TB drive to back up all data in the faulty drive? If not, it is time to get one. Until you get one and are ready to do the data recovery, please remove your 3TB expansion drive safely and keep it aside. If you continue to run it, you run the risk of more data getting corrupted . The HDD may even fail totally. The drive not aceessible message is not to be taken lightly.

"When encountering the error "drive not accessible, the parameter is incorrect", experienced users will firstly think of recovering data and files from this drive, and then fix this error. " I shall follow this dictum. ( You already ran checkdisk but it only resulted in making your drive worse. So no more check disk.)

bro67 in his post #2 gave a solid piece of advice "You should have no problem seeing if you can get to the data with a Linux Live DVD." Thank him and I shall latch on to it.

This is what you will do:

1. Prepare a bootable live Lucid Puppy pendrive using Rufus 2.12 (928KB) Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way How to : My post #8 here Is there any way of saving a completely unrecognisable hard drive? Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums

2. Plug in your faulty external drive, the new 3TB external drive and then boot into Lucid Puppy by using the one time boot menu. If you see all your data in the faulty drive, copy all of it to the new 3TB external drive. How to: Go to the topic Recovering files from the non-bootable Internal Drive: in this thread Lucid Puppy way to recover files from a non-bootable computer . In your case it will be your faulty 3 TB expansion external drive.]

3. Once you have copied all the data, check your faulty drive with SeaTools for Windows. SeaTools | Seagate If it reports problems with that drive, do not blink. Discard the drive. It will no longer be safe to entrust any data to it.

Remember till you are ready to recover the data, do not use your 3TB expansion drive. Plug it out and keep it safely.

jumanji, Mar 16, 2017
  10. trembuzz Win User
    I kind of figured that this was the case and was ready to just write everything off but if there is a chance of recovery I will try. I'll order a new drive today and do some research on the Linux Live DVD thingy. Thank you for your help and will post later when the tools and hardware are in place.
    t

trembuzz, Mar 16, 2017
  11. trembuzz Win User
    Should I be creating a Fat32 or NTFS

trembuzz, Mar 16, 2017
  12. bro67 Win User
    You should be able to pull the old drive and put in a new one. I have a Fantom 3TB USB3.0/eSATA that I use with my NAS to back up the files to. My NAS is for mainly PLEX, but I also keep local copies of some files that I do not keep on my iCloud.I have not had any problems with the Fantom.

If you can boot with a Linux Mint Live DVD, you can run Gparted to look at Smart info. Yes you need to rescue the files, which can also be done through the Livd DVD or USB and pull the important stuff to your computer or sign up for a Amazon drive unlimited for a brief period to allow you to pull the files off and then get what you want off of that drive and trash the rest.

bro67, Mar 17, 2017
  13. jumanji Win User

Do not bother about formatting. Rufus will format the pen drive during the process. ( of course Rufus will tell you that you will lose all data when it formats the pendrive. So backup any data on the pendrive before you start Rufus. In other words it should be an empty pen drive without any data)
    You can use any Linux distro to make the live Linux pen drive but with Lucid Puppy you have this my guide here to navigate through the unknown territory. Lucid Puppy way to recover files from a non-bootable computer - Windows 7 Help Forums

jumanji, Mar 17, 2017
  14. trembuzz Win User
    I used the universal installer app to make the bootable usb pendrive as rufus looked a bit more involved. Nothing appears in the drop downs in rufus and didn't know how to use the program. Do I need rufus as well?
    t

trembuzz, Mar 17, 2017
  15. jumanji Win User
    While it does not matter which way you created the bootable pendrive, I had later chosen Rufus as it is the easiest. You are missing something if you are unable to use Rufus.

One important point is you must plug in the pendrive and then run Rufus. Your device (pendrive) should be listed in the Device field. Rest as per the screenshot in my post #8 here Is there any way of saving a completely unrecognisable hard drive? Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums Make sure that you remove all other pendrives /external HDDs so that you do not format a wrong device.

If you are unable to use Rufus, post the screenshot and I shall tell you where you are going wrong.

jumanji, Mar 17, 2017
Thema:

1. External HDD is corrupted and unreadable - Similar Threads - External HDD corrupted

2. Corrupted and Unreadable Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupted and Unreadable Drive: Hello, I wanted to talk about my drive that has suddenly stopped working.My D drive has suddenly stopped and whenever I click it, it says its corrupted and unreadable.It was working just fine the day before and now it no longer works. I use an external drive, so I tried...
  3. Corrupted and Unreadable Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corrupted and Unreadable Drive: Hello, I wanted to talk about my drive that has suddenly stopped working.My D drive has suddenly stopped and whenever I click it, it says its corrupted and unreadable.It was working just fine the day before and now it no longer works. I use an external drive, so I tried...
  4. Corrupted and Unreadable Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. C: is corrupted and unreadable

C: is corrupted and unreadable: After starting my pc it showed disc checking has to happen and then it was scanning files. After this it said preparing automatic repairs and then it went in to diagnosing PC. So, after this I used command prompt in the troubleshoot window to check what is it with my drive...
  6. "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable": Hello, I wanted to make a folder that had additional folders in it as well as the main folder with emojis you might use in text messages in the beginning of the name. For example, if I named a folder "Info," there is an emoji on Get Emoji Symbols a ".com" website of a light...
  7. Corrupted and unreadable files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Corrupted and unreadable files: Why are all my Microsort word and excel files corrupted and unreadable. This is not the first time it's happened - just want to know why and how to rectify the issue....
  8. External HDD visable but suddenly gone unreadable

External HDD visable but suddenly gone unreadable: Hi all For some reason, my Seagate external has suddenly became unreadable. Whenever i plug it in or try to access it, i am told it needs to be formatted, but im hoping to not lose all the files that are on there. When trying to access is, it says " I:\ is not accessible....
  9. External HDD shows "the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable"

External HDD shows "the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable": I have a 1T external USB HDD and i found that the disk is "RAW" , i am using windows 10 Pro 93581
  10. Disk Structure is Corrupted and Unreadable

Disk Structure is Corrupted and Unreadable: I am getting the above message when in plug an external HDD via USB. Checking this out forum I Have tried Chkdsk commands at cmd prompt: chkdsk f: /r chkfdsk /f f: for both I get the same reply: "Type of file is NTFS. Unable to determine volume and version state" This...