Windows 10: External HDD not being recognised - from today only

Discus and support External HDD not being recognised - from today only in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've read the threads about the AU causing problems with external HDDs, also that the latest patch Tuesday updates corrected this for some people. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SaggyMaggyPoo, Aug 27, 2016.

1. External HDD not being recognised - from today only

I've read the threads about the AU causing problems with external HDDs, also that the latest patch Tuesday updates corrected this for some people.

I have the opposite problem:

AU installed without problems around 3 weeks ago. Latest updates installed on 23rd August, and nothing untoward noticed afterwards.

Up until yesterday I was using an HDD regularly but today I can no longer see the HDD in File Explorer. I've tried 2 different HDDs, tried different USB ports, tried restarting the laptop. It's still the same - HDD not being recognised. I DO get the audible 'warning' when the HDDs are plugged in and taken out but they then fail to show in File Explorer.

The HDD IS recognised in a laptop that does not yet have the AU, but since the problem has only happened today and I've had the AU since early August, it doesn't seem likely that AU is the problem here.

Could it be something to do with USB ports? (Though I use one for a wireless mouse and this is still working okay, and I connected a printer earlier today and that was also okay).

Any suggestions please?

:)

SaggyMaggyPoo, Aug 27, 2016

2. Upgraded to Windows 10 - issue with using Maxtor Manager programme alongside Maxtor One Touch 4 external HDD.

I have just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and everything seems to running okay with one exception. I use a Maxtor One Touch 4 external HDD along with Maxtor Manager software.

However they no longer work in conjunction with each other. Windows recognises the drive and the Maxtor Manager software runs and recognises the backplan, however the software does not recognise the external drive as being connected. Any ideas?

jaydubya76, Aug 27, 2016
  3. MikaeelM Win User
    Windows10 unable to recognise external (USB) HDD (WD My Book 4TB)

Windows10 unable to recognise external (USB) HDD (WD My Book 4TB) - however, I'm able to see all files from a Linux machine i have on same HDD... I dont want to lose my content on the external HDD by reformatting etc. Please help.

MikaeelM, Aug 27, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

External HDD not being recognised - from today only

dalchina, Aug 27, 2016
  5. Private Win User
    How about uninstall those Tuesday updates to see if the HDD is working again. If it does and to avoid Windows Update from automatically install the same patches again, set Windows Update to notify before download/install.

Windows Update Automatic Updates - Enable or Disable in Windows 10

Wait for the next updates, install it, if the issue getting worse you can repeat the step to rollback like above.

Private, Aug 27, 2016
  6. I was just checking Disk Management as you posted and I did have the yellow !s. So read the threads you linked and uninstalled the 2 usb ports that were affected. Rebooted - no difference.

But your comment about Fast Boot got me wondering whether this had reset after the AU and it had, so I turned it off again, rebooted, and I have my HDD's showing again.

Possibly it only happened today because this was the first time I unplugged the usb after the latest updates. Who knows, it's working again now.

And extra thanks: some time ago I had a problem with the camera not working on my Linx tablet. The solution turned out to be to turn off fast boot. I checked that, and it had also reverted to 'On' after the AU, so you saved me some future frustration there as well.

SaggyMaggyPoo, Aug 27, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Great.. fast startup seems to affect different people in different ways... sometimes it's completely counter-intuitive to suspect it.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

External HDD not being recognised - from today only

1. External HDD not being recognised - from today only - Similar Threads - External HDD being

2. PC won't recognise external USB HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC won't recognise external USB HDD: I had a windows 10 PC which failed to boot from an SSD CPU or MB issue . 2 HDDs were installed but used only for data. Now I replaced it with an Acer TC-1660 with Windows 11. I'm trying to transfer the data from the old HDD to the new PC. I attach the HDD Seagate ST 1000DM003...
  3. PC won't recognise external USB HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC won't recognise external USB HDD: I had a windows 10 PC which failed to boot from an SSD CPU or MB issue . 2 HDDs were installed but used only for data. Now I replaced it with an Acer TC-1660 with Windows 11. I'm trying to transfer the data from the old HDD to the new PC. I attach the HDD Seagate ST 1000DM003...
  4. HDD not recognised

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD not recognised: Hi, Am hoping somebody can give me some help getting my 2nd HDD recognised. The full story in brief on how this has happened is :- I did a windows update & after that my pc wouldnt boot i suspect due to usb drivers being disabled , anyway it meant i couldnt even use my mouse...
  5. External m2 sata ssd not being recognised.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External m2 sata ssd not being recognised.: Hey guys, I recently swapped my ssd with Samsung 970 evo plus and took out the old one and after a while I purchased a external SSD connector and after installing it in the external adapter and after plugging to my laptop it is not being recognizednot being shown in windows...
  6. External HD to smart tv ,problem being recognised

External HD to smart tv ,problem being recognised: Hi , i have used external HD to record programs on my samsung tv. I recently got a new one which is 1TB using NTFS system. Same as the old one but more storage . It is not recognised by the tv ? It works ok in my laptop . I've run scan disk ,no errors. I tried formatting into...
  7. External HD to smart tv ,problem being recognised

in Windows 10 Support
    External HD to smart tv ,problem being recognised: Hi , i have used external HD to record programs on my samsung tv. I recently got a new one which is 1TB using NTFS system. Same as the old one but more storage . It is not recognised by the tv ? It works ok in my laptop . I've run scan disk ,no errors. I tried formatting into...
  8. External Drive won't Open after being Recognised.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Drive won't Open after being Recognised.: My external drive is not being recognised in File Explorer and in Disk Management. The disk gets power from the computer and in the Device Manager the disk can be seen connected....
  9. SSD only recognised as HDD.

SSD only recognised as HDD.: Hello, I have two SSDs in my computer a 500GB Samsung 860 Evo used as the boot device and 1TB Crucial MX500 used as secondary storage. After a computer refresh and restart I ran the defrag program to optimise the drives and noted it recognised them as standard HDDs and was...
  10. HDD not recognised in file explorer only

HDD not recognised in file explorer only: Hi, yesterday I turned on my pc to find that I can no longer boot off my main drive. Through installing windows on another drive and entering disk management, the drive shows as two equal "unallocated" partitions, the only option to delete and format them. If I use the Ubuntu...