Windows 10: External HDD not Initializing, Not in "This PC", Need Recovery!

Discus and support External HDD not Initializing, Not in "This PC", Need Recovery! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Last night I was copying files from External HDD over to my computer. It was a very long process and in my sleepy state I put my computer to sleep... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sunny203, May 2, 2017.

1. sunny203 Win User

External HDD not Initializing, Not in "This PC", Need Recovery!

Last night I was copying files from External HDD over to my computer. It was a very long process and in my sleepy state I put my computer to sleep during the copying.

When I logged back in the following morning the copy process appeared paused but when I went to restart the external HDD could not be found

I have disconnected and reconnected the HDD into several USB ports without any luck.

I have tried to search for forums but my problems seems to veer off from the track of others. Will try to post as many pics as I can.

Please let me know if further information is required!

PLEASE HELP. IN THAT STATE OF PANIC
    lost all my files while trying to back up and omg SSD please get cheaper these thing ALWAYS BREAK!

External HDD not Initializing, Not in "This PC", Need Recovery! [​IMG]

*Reposting in general support

:)

sunny203, May 2, 2017

2. " Nokia Simple " theme - where it this theme?

hi,

Some days ago on page
    http://ea.mobile.nokia.com/content/spin/ea/6120c/en/theme/index.xhtml
    or in phone (nokia 6120c) themes/general/download themes/ was very cool theme (light cream white, black fonts) " Nokia Simple ", now its dissapear from this site. Where i can get it?
    or maybe somebody has it and could send to me.

thx

szympek123, May 2, 2017
  3. okinawa---01, May 2, 2017
  4. sunny203 Win User

Trying everything I'm finding and just keep hitting dead ends or I reach a point I don't understand.

Does putting a PC to sleep really kill any HDD that is copying to it? How can one button corrupt so much data....why isn't there any safety in place??

sunny203, May 2, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    I can only commiserate with you as I find the use of Sleep and Hibernate and sudden power interruptions to be highly problematic when doing file management, things happen too quickly to stop/interrupt which can indeed cause data corruption. Have seen where External USB HDDs got changed to the RAW format which can be difficult to recover from. I usually turn Sleep and Hibernation off and use battery backups [UPS] when doing critical work to prevent issues as much as possible.

Berton, May 2, 2017
  6. simrick Win User
    simrick, May 2, 2017
  7. sunny203 Win User
    Thank you so much for your response Berton! Any help is greatly appreciated at this stage.

So when I hit the sleep button it was like putting a gun to my HDD and pulling the trigger....sad
    I do wish Windows might have stopped this task or at least interrupted the copying safety. It hit the sleep button most nights and was going so bed not thinking properly.

RAW format is new information for me! And deeper into the rabbit whole I shall go

sunny203, May 2, 2017
  8. sunny203 Win User

Thank you SimRick! Would this tool be at all similar to this?

I am realizing that this free tool is not recognizing the HDD.
    Does the software your recommending have a greater chance of seeing my HDD

or is it simply not being seen by other recovery software because of some prerequisite or corruption?

sunny203, May 2, 2017
  9. jumanji Win User
    jumanji, May 2, 2017
  10. simrick Win User
    Jumanji to the rescue! *Thumbs
    He is the guru of data recovery.

simrick, May 2, 2017
  11. sunny203 Win User
    OK! so I plugged the HDD into a new computer (surface pro) and it did recognize the device. I was able to pull up the files and see them.

Problem solved right?....WRONG!

Moments (approx 2-5min) later an error came up saying:
    "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it"

Also my desktop wallpaper messed up...not sure how that's connected

So it worked for a little while but then just stopped working. Maybe when it got to a corrupted file?

I can't seem to find it in disk management on the surface pro either.

Will keep updating

sunny203, May 2, 2017
  12. sunny203 Win User
    Jumanji!!!!!
    Thank the heavens. I have been actually trying to follow your help on other forums. But my problem hasn't been quite the same.

This is looking like its trying to read it.

trying to get the picture your asking for jumanji but its still just showing this

sunny203, May 2, 2017
  13. jumanji Win User

Connect it to your other Windows 10 PC . Can you get it to show in it - Windows Disk Management?

If not, then we will try using a Live Linux . Have you read my posts on using Live Linux?

jumanji, May 2, 2017
  14. jumanji Win User
    jumanji, May 2, 2017
  15. sunny203 Win User
    Ok so after some very long loading times and a few (not responding)'s everything seems to be working.

My only worry is the error that I got when plugged into the surface pro. It has been 10-15 minutes now without one.

The only action I've made was changing the Read Only settings from my 2nd post.
    Besides going from the surface pro and back plus the 5-6 tries I'm not sure what fixed it.

Still a little skeptical but I just cannot thank anyone enough for taking their time to try and help.

A special thanks to:
    Jumanji
    Berton
    SimRick
    *let me know if I can support back in anyway

sunny203, May 2, 2017
Thema:

1. External HDD not Initializing, Not in "This PC", Need Recovery! - Similar Threads - External HDD Initializing

2. Initialize any external HDD on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Initialize any external HDD on Windows 10: Hello,I cannot initialize any external hard disk drive on Windows 10, but the flash drive works without problems. The hard disk drive works without a problem on another PC with Windows 10.The problem started to appear when I attached a VHDX disk and set the Windows Boot...
  3. Initialize any external HDD on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Initialize any external HDD on Windows 10: Hello,I cannot initialize any external hard disk drive on Windows 10, but the flash drive works without problems. The hard disk drive works without a problem on another PC with Windows 10.The problem started to appear when I attached a VHDX disk and set the Windows Boot...
  4. Initialize any external HDD on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. HDD drives not initializing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD drives not initializing: Close to a month ago I logged onto my computer (win10 pro) and found that 2 of my HDD drives had vanished from file explorer. Of course I panic, open up disk management and they are both not initialized. I spent about a week recovering 4tb of lost data. Initialized the disk...
  6. External HDD needs format

External HDD needs format: Hello to all. Havent been here for a long time between the windows system has improved a lot over the past tear. To my latest problem i was given an external hdd but it has two sections as per image how do i get this to a full working drive please. Many thanks [img] 146402
  7. External HDD needs format

in Windows 10 Support
    External HDD needs format: Hello to all. Havent been here for a long time between the windows system has improved a lot over the past tear. To my latest problem i was given an external hdd but it has two sections as per image how do i get this to a full working drive please. Many thanks [img] 146402
  8. hdd not initialized

hdd not initialized: hdd not initialized just says disk 6 unknown I tried different usb ports with no success.there are files on it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/hdd-not-initialized/d5b99338-fc73-4d7d-b95c-71a7e6f8b1fc
  9. How to initialize external HDD??

How to initialize external HDD??: I have a 500gb external HD USB and it has data on it that I need cause the drive doesnt not show up now. I went into my computer management and disk 1 says not initialize. When I try to initialize to GPT it says the drive is too small. Now before all this happened I had...
  10. How to initialize external HDD??

How to initialize external HDD??: Since I put vmWare 10 on my laptop , my external HDD wont initialize. it says its there but when i try to initialize it tells me my drive is too small for GPT, Its 500gb. When I installed VMWare i might have had the external connected and i believe i opted for to split...