Windows 10: external HDD not showing true capacity

Discus and support external HDD not showing true capacity in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; when win ten first came out i used a 1TB external HDD to create a recovery drive now with a new laptop i decided to reformat the drive but widows says... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dmesal, Apr 19, 2016.

1. dmesal Win User

external HDD not showing true capacity

when win ten first came out i used a 1TB external HDD to create a recovery drive now with a new laptop i decided to reformat the drive but widows says it has only 32 GIG on it and dose not show any directories or anything? whats up*Sad

:)

dmesal, Apr 19, 2016
  2. BossDweeb Win User

List of external hard drives compatible with windows 10?

New external HDD's would all be universally compatible with all modern Windows versions .

- The external HDD enclosure needs to have connection options that suit your PC.

If your case has an eSATA port you will want an external HDD that has an option for eSATA connection

as this provides the same speed and an internal HDD.

USB 3 is also preferable to USB 2, which is the slowest option, but an external HDD with USB 3 only will

still run well from a USB 2 port.

- Value per Gigabyte increases with larger capacity.

BossDweeb, Apr 19, 2016
  3. Diplodose Win User
    Windows 10 recovery tool capacity

Okay, not to sound rude Vanessa, but its pretty obvious what's happened here and the details you required are right in front of your face.

Basically he has chosen an External HDD to create a media device (I assume to install windows 10). Now for some reason, Microsoft has found it necessary to reduce the capacity of the HDD.

This means a 1TB HardDrive will become 32GB, this is because the process changes the capacity of the HDD. I know this because its happened to my 500GB HDD, which is now exactly 31.9GB.

I have tried using HDDGuru to restore the capacity but sadly its not supported on Windows 10 (shamefully).

Diplodose, Apr 19, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Try formatting it again and use NTFS rather than FAT32.

Alternatively if it is already in an NTFS format use Disk Management to examine the drive and right click on it to see if you can extend the volume to its full size.

philc43, Apr 19, 2016
  5. dmesal Win User
    will do, will try tonight many thanks (Under computer mngt) right

dmesal, Apr 19, 2016
  6. dmesal Win User
    i checked it out in disk mngt and found the space 800+ gig so i formated the drive and asigned a drive letter but i did not see a way to start from scratch and make it just one drive i used to be able to previously in DOS and such ?

dmesal, Apr 20, 2016
  7. Berton Win User
    Yeah, 32GB is a limit of Windows and FAT32 and Win10's procedure hits that limit, did it to me with a 64GB Thumb drive and Windows can't correct it except with NTFS. When I see the problem I boot to a GPARTED CD and can correct the partitioning issues, just did it today on a 1TB drive rescued from a computer to delete all the Win7 'extras', gives it a fresh [out-of-the-box] start when I will need it. GPARTED can format in several different types for use in other Operating Systems.

Berton, Apr 20, 2016
  8. dmesal Win User

Many thanks Gparted keeps popping on this forum I'll have to wait until i get in port to DL

Many Thanks again

dmesal, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. external HDD not showing true capacity - Similar Threads - external HDD showing

2. My battery not showing it's true capacity.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My battery not showing it's true capacity.: My battery not showing it's true capacity, It had been used for 4 years but it still showing the same battery value as it was new. I've tried to retry batterycfg multiple times and it still showing the same capacity. Does anyone know how to fix this?...
  3. My battery not showing it's true capacity.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My battery not showing it's true capacity.: My battery not showing it's true capacity, It had been used for 4 years but it still showing the same battery value as it was new. I've tried to retry batterycfg multiple times and it still showing the same capacity. Does anyone know how to fix this?...
  4. 1Tb HDD is showing 705Gb capacity with WinDirStat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    1Tb HDD is showing 705Gb capacity with WinDirStat: I have a Windows 11 laptop with a 1Tb HDD secondary storage. I seem to be unable to access about 250Gb of this. Can anyone help me figure out what's going on here?"Disk Management" and "This PC" say: 122Gb free of 931GbWinDirStat as admin says: 582.8Gb used. 122Gb free of...
  5. 1Tb HDD is showing 705Gb capacity with WinDirStat

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    1Tb HDD is showing 705Gb capacity with WinDirStat: I have a Windows 11 laptop with a 1Tb HDD secondary storage. I seem to be unable to access about 250Gb of this. Can anyone help me figure out what's going on here?"Disk Management" and "This PC" say: 122Gb free of 931GbWinDirStat as admin says: 582.8Gb used. 122Gb free of...
  6. External hdd not showing in explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hdd not showing in explorer: I recently got a new laptop due to the screen on my old one being broken. So in order to save all my files, I popped out the hard drive and stuck it into a USB drive reader. It's powered on, I can hear it spinning. On my new laptop, the drive appears in device manager as well...
  7. External HDD not showing in Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD not showing in Explorer: Hi. I had a problem with my external drive not showing in Windows Explorer. I went into Disk Management and Formatted the drive in there and assigned a drive letter - now it is showing in Explorer. The problem I now have though is that when I try and plug the external drive...
  8. Lost 50% HDD capacity

Lost 50% HDD capacity: Hi, I have posted the following on the AOMEI forum. I have W10 with all updates. On a 1TB external USB attached HDD , not SSD, with two partitions of 460+ GB, I wanted to merge the two partitions into one partition. So D: and G: into one x 1TB partition. I Used AOMEI merge...
  9. Why do external HDD enclosures have capacity limits listed?

Why do external HDD enclosures have capacity limits listed?: I have never bothered to try to find this out. I am shopping for replacement HDD enclosures that can be used with my router for a large-capacity network drive. The only question I have is why do Manufacturers specify that enclosures have limits on the capacity of the HDD used...
  10. External HDD not showing up

External HDD not showing up: Good day to all Having some issues with connecting my external HDD to my desktop .Upon connecting to the usb port nothing happens in the file explorer don't show up But looking in the device manager it shows up there and also shows an icon in the task bar next to the clock...