Windows 10: External HDD not showing up

Discus and support External HDD not showing up in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Good day to all Having some issues with connecting my external HDD to my desktop .Upon connecting to the usb port nothing happens in the file explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by menu, Dec 29, 2016.

1. menu Win User

External HDD not showing up

Good day to all
    Having some issues with connecting my external HDD to my desktop .Upon connecting to the usb port nothing happens in the file explorer don't show up But looking in the device manager it shows up there and also shows an icon in the task bar next to the clock as connected.
    If I connect a pendrive it works okay.
    Have looked at the auto play setup and all settings there are okay.Have tried the hdd in the front and back usb with no luck cant gain access to the contents of the drive.
    Went to connect the drive to another pc and it showed up okay, So the problem must be with the pc.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on this Please.
    Thanks very much.

:)

2. Shared external hdd not showing up

Ok, so I've found the solution. For people that don't know, in Windows 10 there's a new feature where you can go to the start menu, input Support and then it'll bring up a support chat window. You can get free customer support via that
    and they can remote connect to your computer and solve the issue for you.

This is their explanation on how to fix the issue:

Here's what we did:

in control panel Control Panel(WindowsKey + X > Control Panel) -> Search Troubleshooter -> open Troubleshooting -> network and internet -> shared folders -> Follow and finish the wizard.

and then we can access the shared folder directly using the address bar

EvanPurcell, Dec 29, 2016
  3. Shared external hdd not showing up

Hi Evan,

Thanks for replying to us with the status of your issue and good to know that your issue has been resolved.

For any query related to Windows Operating System, feel free to post on Microsoft Community. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you,

Santosh_Rai, Dec 29, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Dec 29, 2016
  5. menu Win User
    Thanks for reply.No Letter
    See Screen shot

External HDD not showing up [​IMG]

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Right click on the 931.51 GB partition block and select Change Drive Letter and Paths.....

NavyLCDR, Dec 29, 2016
  7. menu Win User
    Brilliant news.
    Thank You very much. How did that happen as I have used it before on this pc?

Thanks Very much appreciated Happy new year to you.
    David.*Smile

menu, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. External HDD not showing up - Similar Threads - External HDD showing

2. External HDD not showing up on Explorer and showing up as Disk 1 Unknown Not Initialized...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD not showing up on Explorer and showing up as Disk 1 Unknown Not Initialized...: Hello I need help on finding a fix for this issue, I am using WD MyPassport 2629 external hard drive. When I plug it into my PC using USB port It doesn't show in explorer and when I checked the Disk Management it didn't appear but then I rescanned the disks and it appeared as...
  3. External HDD not showing up on Explorer and showing up as Disk 1 Unknown Not Initialized...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HDD not showing up on Explorer and showing up as Disk 1 Unknown Not Initialized...: Hello I need help on finding a fix for this issue, I am using WD MyPassport 2629 external hard drive. When I plug it into my PC using USB port It doesn't show in explorer and when I checked the Disk Management it didn't appear but then I rescanned the disks and it appeared as...
  4. External HDD not showing up on Explorer and showing up as Disk 1 Unknown Not Initialized...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. HDD not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD not showing up: Hi, today suddenly my HDD Seagate 500GB that is connected via USB 3.0 to SATA suddenly disappeared and now I am not able to get it back.Both HDD and SATA adapter are in good condition, when I connect HDD it sounds ok, no loud noise or malfunction but still, no signs of it on...
  6. Issue with my External HDD not showing up

Issue with my External HDD not showing up: Hello, I have tested my external HDD on two separate Windows 10 devices family members, and the external HDD works fine on both of them. My PC however, does not recognize the HDD. I hear the HDD start to spin, as well as the little indication light turn on, but it doesn't...
  7. External HDD not showing up in disk management

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External HDD not showing up in disk management: My 1TB external Seagate HDD is being detected in device manger, but I cannot see it on disk management. When I connect it, it beeps 5 times, no matter which port I use submitted by /u/vininhosts [link] [comments]...
  8. XBOX 360 external HDD won't show up...?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    XBOX 360 external HDD won't show up...?: Just had a marvellous idea, plugging in an old external HDD onto my old XBOX360. Formatted it in FAT32, booted up my XBOX but... it won't show up?! (Except the usual storage, 120GB) Plugged in another HDD and that one WOULD show up (but it contains important stuff like...
  9. External hdd not showing in explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hdd not showing in explorer: I recently got a new laptop due to the screen on my old one being broken. So in order to save all my files, I popped out the hard drive and stuck it into a USB drive reader. It's powered on, I can hear it spinning. On my new laptop, the drive appears in device manager as well...
  10. External HDD not showing in Explorer

External HDD not showing in Explorer: Hi. I had a problem with my external drive not showing in Windows Explorer. I went into Disk Management and Formatted the drive in there and assigned a drive letter - now it is showing in Explorer. The problem I now have though is that when I try and plug the external drive...