Windows 10: External HDD shows up in Device Manager but not My Computer

Discus and support External HDD shows up in Device Manager but not My Computer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi guys, I just tried to install Ubuntu from a USB stick alongside Windows 10, and have managed to make my external HDD disappear *Sad Halfway... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jaysouffle, Apr 9, 2017.

1. External HDD shows up in Device Manager but not My Computer

Hi guys,

I just tried to install Ubuntu from a USB stick alongside Windows 10, and have managed to make my external HDD disappear *Sad

Halfway through my installation of Ubuntu I noticed that the software was trying to install from a 500GB drive (my external HDD) instead of the 8GB pen drive I was trying to install from. I quit the installation hoping I hadn't done any damage, but apparently I have...

My external HDD still shows up as a named device in device manager, but it's not in My Computer. Looking at Disk Management you can see it as 'Disk 2' (see image), but all the options to Format etc are grayed out.

Is there any way to get it working again? Ideally keeping the data that was on there, but if not then just reformatting.

Thanks,

J

External HDD shows up in Device Manager but not My Computer [​IMG]

:)

jaysouffle, Apr 9, 2017

2. External Hard Drive unable to access or use on Windows 10

Neither worked. it is not showing up in Disk Management, it is showing up in Devices and Printers as External HDD. When I double click it it just brings up the properties. The driver says it is up to date. I tried it on another computer and same thing,
    it will only show up on my MacBook.

KellyLeeper, Apr 9, 2017
  3. Having External HDD issues in windows 10

I am having issues locating my HDD, I went through the settings and the device manager and it shows up but when searching through my computer it will not show up and when trying to save files to the External HDD, I tried to update drive and it says its
    up to date, I am not sure if a format will work, not entirely sure how to format in windows 10. thanks in advanced for the help.

vectorwalker, Apr 9, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

External HDD shows up in Device Manager but not My Computer

NavyLCDR, Apr 9, 2017
  5. bobkn Win User
    I wonder if it could be as simple as using Disk Management to assign a letter to the drive?

bobkn, Apr 9, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    Since it doesn't show a drive letter I'd try setting one.

Berton, Apr 9, 2017
  7. Thanks for the quick reply, I'm a little overwhelmed with all those options in MiniTool partition wizard though - can you please provide some guidance on what I should be trying to do? Thanks

As for assigning a drive letter, that option is grayed out when I right click on the drive in Disk Management. is there another way to do this?

jaysouffle, Apr 9, 2017
  8. Berton Win User

I just right-click a drive or partition in Windows Disk Management to assign or change a drive letter.

Berton, Apr 9, 2017
  9. this option is grayed out

jaysouffle, Apr 9, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    It appears to have a partition type on the drive that Windows does not recognize, such as ext4. If there is nothing on the drive you need to save then delete all the partitions on the drive - possibly reinitialize it to MBR or GPT partitioning type, and create a new NTFS partition on it. Then you can assign it a drive letter.

In MiniTool Partition Wizard, you can right click on the existing partition and select Explore to see if Partition Wizard can read anything on it.

NavyLCDR, Apr 9, 2017
  11. Thank you all for the responses, appreciate it! NavyLCDR's last suggestion worked perfectly.

jaysouffle, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. External HDD shows up in Device Manager but not My Computer - Similar Threads - External HDD shows

2. 4tb hdd not showing up on my computer the hdd is getting power but not showing up in device...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    4tb hdd not showing up on my computer the hdd is getting power but not showing up in device...: Hello. I just purchased a 4tb Seagate internal hdd, And I searched up multiple YouTube videos on how to unstall it and nothing worked I plugged in the cable from the power supply and the sata cable to the mother board. The hdd is getting power but it’s not showing up in...
  3. 4tb hdd not showing up on my computer the hdd is getting power but not showing up in device...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    4tb hdd not showing up on my computer the hdd is getting power but not showing up in device...: Hello. I just purchased a 4tb Seagate internal hdd, And I searched up multiple YouTube videos on how to unstall it and nothing worked I plugged in the cable from the power supply and the sata cable to the mother board. The hdd is getting power but it’s not showing up in...
  4. Issue with my External HDD not showing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Issue with my External HDD not showing up: Hello, I have tested my external HDD on two separate Windows 10 devices family members, and the external HDD works fine on both of them. My PC however, does not recognize the HDD. I hear the HDD start to spin, as well as the little indication light turn on, but it doesn't...
  5. External HDD not showing up in disk management

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External HDD not showing up in disk management: My 1TB external Seagate HDD is being detected in device manger, but I cannot see it on disk management. When I connect it, it beeps 5 times, no matter which port I use submitted by /u/vininhosts [link] [comments]...
  6. External HDD not showing up in Device Manager (or My Computer)

External HDD not showing up in Device Manager (or My Computer): G'day all, I have 4 year old Seagate 1TB hard drive. I've tried connecting it to multiple Windows PCs but the same thing always happens: I connect it It makes the Windows sound that new hardware/usb has been connected. Nothing happens the drive does not appear in My Computer,...
  7. External HDD does not show in My Computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD does not show in My Computer: Hi all, I am facing a problem in one of my external HDD. This HDD was installed in one of my desktops and was giving troubles. So I took it out and installed in an external case so retrieve the data. The hard disk is detected by the computer but it does not show up in...
  8. SSD showing up as HDD in device manager

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD showing up as HDD in device manager: Hi, I just installed a Samsung SSD 2TB drive. I already have two 2TB and 1TB SSD drives and one old Western Digital 2TB disk drive insatlled. My new SSD drive is working properly. I was able to format it and move files to it, but it shows up as a Western Digital hard...
  9. Second HDD showing up in BIOS and Device Management, but not in Disk Management

Second HDD showing up in BIOS and Device Management, but not in Disk Management: Hello! First of all about my config Lenovo Y720-15IKB OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB Motherboard: Intel H170 ITX KBL-S( I believe, the system doesnt say it, I looked up on the internet) BIOS version/date: LENOVO 4GCN31WW, 2017. 09. 27. SSD: Kingston...
  10. External HDD not showing up

External HDD not showing up: Good day to all Having some issues with connecting my external HDD to my desktop .Upon connecting to the usb port nothing happens in the file explorer don't show up But looking in the device manager it shows up there and also shows an icon in the task bar next to the clock...