Windows 10: External HHD not recognized by Windows

Discus and support External HHD not recognized by Windows in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I've got WD MyPassport Ultra 1TB, and after reinstalling Windows, I have problem with it working on USB 3.0, it works fine on USB 2.0. Here I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by neo937, Sep 20, 2017.

1. neo937 Win User

External HHD not recognized by Windows

Hi, I've got WD MyPassport Ultra 1TB, and after reinstalling Windows, I have problem with it working on USB 3.0, it works fine on USB 2.0. Here I have to mention, that I installed drivers through DriverPack Solution Online.

I've read a lot of threads in web, reinstalled drivers etc, but I didn't found any solution.
    After reboot, it works good, but it has to be plugged in during reboot.

Automount in diskpart is enabled, can't assign letter, dmdskmgr don't see it.

Any help other than reinstalling system again?

:)

neo937, Sep 20, 2017

2. Windows 10 doesn't recognize my 2nd hard drive

1st drive is a 1tb SSD and is recognized in bios and device manager

2nd drive is a 1tb HHD sata is recognized in both the bios and the device manager but is not shown in explorer

curseddiamond, Sep 20, 2017
  3. External Drive Not Recognized By BIOS

Yes. I am still experiencing this issue.

Karim Smires, Sep 20, 2017
  4. External HHD not recognized by Windows

Hi and welcome to the forum.*Smile Are you using the software that came with it from WD? Have you tried another USB 3.0 Port?

DriverPack Solution Online- May be your problem..

Josey Wales, Sep 20, 2017
  5. spunk Win User
    Your My Computer profile is not filled out with your Make and Model# of your computer. Please fill this out so we may help further. You should only download drivers from your computer manufacturers support/download drivers site. Go to the manufacturers site and type in your Model#, or type your Service Tag# choose your version of Windows 10 (ie) 32bit or 64bit. Under Chipset, download the USB 3.0 driver for your computer.
    With the drive plugged into the USB 2.0 port press the Win key+X choose Disk Management. In the Lower Pane you should see your WD Passport. Does it say the drive is Unallocated Space? or next to the Disk # (ie) Disk1, Disk2 etc does it say the drive is Not Initialized? If the drive is healthy, right click the drive and choose Change Drive Letter or Paths change it to a drive letter that is not being used. If the former, you will need to run Recovery tools to restore files from the drive. If it is not showing up at all, then the drive has failed or is not plugged in.

spunk, Sep 21, 2017
  6. neo937 Win User
    @spunk

With USB 2.0 it works perfectly, already tried reinstalling the drivers, also updated specs on my profile.
    I think I will reinstall my system again with drivers from MSI site, and will see if this going to work.

neo937, Sep 21, 2017
  7. spunk Win User
    Then Safely Remove the drive and plug it into the USB 3.0 port, it should get recognized and keep the same drive letter.
    If not, download the Chipset and Intel Management Engine driver from MSI drivers page Support For Z97 GAMING 5 | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI USA

spunk, Sep 21, 2017
  8. neo937 Win User

I did what you've told me. Connected with USB 2.0, Shift + X, DIsk Management, and a window popped up, which file system use there, and without asking it formatted my hdd...

neo937, Sep 21, 2017
  9. spunk Win User
    It does not automatically format your HDD unless you press the button to Initialize the drive and Format it. So, now it works?

spunk, Sep 21, 2017
  10. neo937 Win User
    Yes it does, but as I said - on 2.0 it worked earlier, so it was the issue with drivers.

neo937, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. External HHD not recognized by Windows - Similar Threads - External HHD recognized

2. Cannot move or copy large-size folders from external HHD to external HDD

in Windows 10 News
    Cannot move or copy large-size folders from external HHD to external HDD: [ATTACH]If you cannot move or copy large-size folders from one external HHD to another external HDD, then this post will help resolve the problem. Moving a large size file or a huge folder is not uncommon. Most users always do it, including moving the photo collection,...
  3. Windows not recognizing External ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows not recognizing External ssd: [IMG]Hi there, my hp laptop is not working after an update, and Its going to automatic repair loop. So, I removed ssd hard drive. Im using ssd to usb 3.0 enclouser to connect it to another laptop. but the new laptop cant recognize it. its not even showing up in the...
  4. hhd

hhd: hello i have added a hdd to my computer from a old device it is spinning and it shows up in the bios but not the program called 'disk manager' or in the my pc tab, any ideas, thanks ioan...
  5. External drive not recognized

External drive not recognized: I have an external drive that is not being recognized. I have unplugged it and and plugged it back in and still not being recognized. I see it listed in device manager and it says it is working properly. In disk management it says Disk 1 Unknown not initialized. I have...
  6. old HHD connected by SATA IDE adapter to windows 10 not recognized

old HHD connected by SATA IDE adapter to windows 10 not recognized: I'm trying to recover data from my old WD 500 GB HHD that had failed I replaced it with a 1 TB SSD. I have connected the HDD to multiple PCs and multiple USB ports both front and back using a SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter. Both of my PCs run windows 10. Neither one recognizes...
  7. recognizing an external camera

recognizing an external camera: I have a levono carbon x1 I am trying to control an external camera. I have used two separate programs 1. Olympus capture 2. Backyard EOS. both use a USB connection to the camera neither program is able to interact with the camera. Is there a setting in windows that...
  8. Backup files to external HHD

Backup files to external HHD: I want to backup files to the external HDD rather than PC HDD. Is it possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-files-to-external-hhd/f032e231-46f7-41a8-8d4c-43ab0b777e6b
  9. EXTERNAL DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED

EXTERNAL DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED: After my laptop updated to Windows 10 version 1909, it no longer recognized my 1tb Toshiba Canvio external drive. I need help resolving this issue, because all of my school work and other important things are on the drive....
  10. external monitor is not recognized

in Windows 10 Customization
    external monitor is not recognized: My Dell laptop running Windows 10 does not recognize external monitor Insignia https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-monitor-is-not-recognized/5c0283c6-7783-4201-8dd8-99cff3042745

Users found this page by searching for:

1. lacie bigdock2 not recognised windows