Windows 10: External microphone level keeps increasing

Discus and support External microphone level keeps increasing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm a member of a book club that meets once a month at our local library. Many months, we have at least one remote participant; we use Skype to bring... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RhinoCan, Oct 7, 2017.

1. RhinoCan Win User

External microphone level keeps increasing

I'm a member of a book club that meets once a month at our local library. Many months, we have at least one remote participant; we use Skype to bring him/them into our discussion. We have a webcam that enables them to see us and an external microphone so that they can hear all of us. We then use an LCD projector to display the Skype video so that everyone in the room can see the remote participants. This has worked relatively well for a few years now.

Yesterday, we had an odd experience with the external microphone. Our remote participant complained that he found us very loud, much louder than normal, even though he had the output from his computer speakers was turned down to 1 (%); he asked if I could turn the volume down at my end. I found the microphone in my Recording Devices and found that the level was 79; I turned it down a lot (to 33 for a start) and he said that was a lot better. Problem solved? Not really. I watched the level on the microphone and found that it started creeping back up quite steadily; in just a few seconds, it was back to where it had been and even higher. I lowered the volume again; it just crept back up. Several more lowerings revealed that the level automatically went right back up, sometimes right to 100, within seconds. I went to the advanced tab and tried unchecking the checkboxes I found there in case one of them caused this behaviour but, even unchecked, there was no change in behaviour: the input volume just went right back up.

Why is this happening and what do I need to do to make the level stay where I put it? (I'm also curious to know why this should suddenly be a problem *now* since it wasn't a problem previously. Did a recent Microsoft update cause this issue?)

:)

RhinoCan, Oct 7, 2017

2. Cortana can't hear me External microphone level keeps increasing :(

If your machine has two mics (1-builtin & one jack) try using an external mic in the input jack

set the external as the default device in

Control Panel -> Sound -> [ Recording ] tab

if that fails, remove the external mic and try the internal again.

Still no response from Cortana?

Try disabling the external input jack - recording device (mic)

Make sure that Cortana | Search can use your microphone (Settings -> Privacy -> microphone)

Make sure that the location platform is on (Settings -> Privacy -> Location)

.. and that Search is On (Let these apps use my location)

Cortana doesn't seem to work at all if the machine is NOT connected to the Internet.

The other searches (Modern and Desktop) DO work regardless of being connected.

I still had to increase the microphone boost to +20 dB and the microphone level to 65, each machine will be different. Once Cortana hears you, then you can adjust the levels to your environment.

Slartybart, Oct 7, 2017
  3. Sound record makes hiqh squeeking noise

It might be because the Microphone is too close to the speakers. Creating feedback, try turning the microphone levels down until the sound goes away or use external speakers instead. Right click the volume icon in the taskbar > Recording Devices > Choose
    your default microphone > Levels and turn down the level. It might be trial and error. Hope that helps!

MikeSnyder61704, Oct 7, 2017
Thema:

External microphone level keeps increasing

1. External microphone level keeps increasing - Similar Threads - External microphone level

2. My microphone level keeps changing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My microphone level keeps changing.: My mic level changes frequently. e.g. My mic level is 83 then when I check that later on, it is in 97. I already turned off allow exclusive control from programs, but it still changes....
  3. My microphone level keeps changing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My microphone level keeps changing.: My mic level changes frequently. e.g. My mic level is 83 then when I check that later on, it is in 97. I already turned off allow exclusive control from programs, but it still changes....
  4. My microphone level keeps changing.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Microphone Levels

Microphone Levels: Hey, my microphone wont turn on in the Levels tab, it just doesn't wanna turn on [ATTACH] i can't turn this on and i don't know why. Please someone help me with this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microphone-levels/c42b3b66-e66d-4d10-9586-c61849504523
  6. Microphone level

Microphone level: Why don't I have the option to increase or decrease the decibels of my microphone? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microphone-level/ab254916-e35f-49ae-a999-3e6a75bf94d0
  7. Microphone level keeps decreasing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microphone level keeps decreasing: Hello, recently I noticed that my microphone level at startup decreases from 100% to 25%, it never happened to me before and it's kinda annoying. at the startup the volume is still 100% but after everything loads it goes down to 25% and like I said it happens only at...
  8. My microphone level keeps changing itself

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My microphone level keeps changing itself: So I have a USB microphone it's Fifine K669B (I have a pretty tight budget). I have to set the microphone level on 80 so it's not overly sensitive. but often times, the level changed itself sometimes by 2, sometimes to 100. I have disabled the exclusive mode and selected "do...
  9. Microphon autolowering levels

Microphon autolowering levels: Hi, I have this issue with that is driving me furious, that Windows 10 manages the microphon level without my consent. Imean who do you think you are Microsoft to allow yourselves to interfere with the way i use my microphon ??? I've seen this question already asked on...
  10. Microphone Levels Broken

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microphone Levels Broken: So, i enjoy skype calling my friend but she always complains about an insanely loud buzzing always in the background when she calls me. Today i decided to fix that, and every youtube tutorial i watch tells me to go into my microphone settings and in the levels tab turn down...