Windows 10: External Microphone with Windows 10 Not Working

Discus and support External Microphone with Windows 10 Not Working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I seem to have a weird issue with my external micro phone that I can't seem to figure out. I'm using a windows 10 desktop with a nvidia sound card. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by chad313, Jul 5, 2016.

1. chad313 Win User

External Microphone with Windows 10 Not Working

I seem to have a weird issue with my external micro phone that I can't seem to figure out. I'm using a windows 10 desktop with a nvidia sound card. It says that it's plugged in (it has a green checkmark) but the green bars don't go up like it's getting audio. I increased the mic volume and boost and it made a very loud static. I tried updating the drivers but it said it was fully up to date. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers but that didn't work either. I plugged the microphone into the other ports but it was the same. I couldn't find any other solutions, I'd appreciate any help thank you.

:)

chad313, Jul 5, 2016
  2. Animgpt Win User

Headset microphone not showing up in recording devices.

I tried both the methods mentioned, but my external microphone is still undetectable by Windows.

After connecting an external headset with microphone, headset works, but microphone doesn't. Neither the external speaker, nor the external microphone show up in the playback/recording devices list. After plugging in the integrated headset and microphone
    through 4 pin 3.5 mm jack, sound comes to headphone, but system still uses the internal microphone.

My external microphone was working fine some days back, but I am not sure what happened that it suddenly stopped working and now is even undetectable.

Animgpt, Jul 5, 2016
  3. SirCobalt Win User
    My microphone is not longer working on my laptop after upgrading to Windows 10.

Both the internal microphone build on my laptop and the external microphone I have no longer work on my laptop after I upgraded to Windows 10. I tried setting up Cortana and my internal microphone was not picking up anything. I then tried plugging in my
    external microphone and that is not picking up any sounds. They both were literally working yesterday when I still had Windows 8.1. I contacted Microsoft and they accused my that both my microphones don't work and it is a hardware problem and had nothing to
    do with the upgrade to Windows 10. I mean what are the chances of both my microphones not working right when I upgrade to Windows 10?

I have a Lenovo Z70-80.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help.

SirCobalt, Jul 5, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello chad313,

Have you confirmed that the mic works on another device? It could be an internal break in the cable wire.

philc43, Jul 5, 2016
  5. chad313 Win User
    Yes I have, both the mic and headset worked on my laptop perfectly

chad313, Jul 5, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    Ok, sorry to ask such an obvious question but we need to check. You also do not say if you are plugging into USB ports or into the audio mic input. Which is it?

Please right click on the volume icon (bottom right of screen) and open the "Recording Devices"

External Microphone with Windows 10 Not Working [​IMG]

Do you have the correct microphone detected and set as default?

philc43, Jul 5, 2016
  7. chad313 Win User
    sorry about that is a front audio jack 3.5 mm and yes is set to the default device

chad313, Jul 5, 2016
  8. philc43 Win User

In the image you showed does the sound bar show that noise is detected when you tap the microphone? If not then do you have the sound manager provided by NVidia that you can use to test the microphone? This should have been installed along with the driver for the sound card.

You say you are using a front microphone jack (it is usually coloured pink for the microphone or has a mic symbol). Can you check that the connector from the front audio panel is connected to your system. Usually the front panels are connected to the motherboard and go to the on-board sound of the motherboard but in your case you have connected a sound card. This may be causing some confusion.

philc43, Jul 5, 2016
  9. chad313 Win User
    The mic doesn't respond when i tap on it, and it doesn't respond when i plug it into the back audio jack, i don't have a nvidia sound manager but when i tried to download it, it threw an error at me.

chad313, Jul 5, 2016
  10. philc43 Win User
    I think you are going to have provide a lot more detail of your system before we can help you further, motherboard, sound card, PC case etc.

See: System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums

philc43, Jul 5, 2016
  11. chad313 Win User
    Im sorry about that I was having a bit of trouble trying to figure out some of this info, I hope it helps, if there is some more specific info let me know I saved it to my account

chad313, Jul 5, 2016
  12. philc43 Win User
    You need to find the motherboard manufacturer and identify the correct driver for the on-board sound. Did you have any manual or can you look inside the case to identify the board? I would expect it to need a Realtek driver.

Can you show us the Device Manager entries for the Sound Controllers like I have shown below?

philc43, Jul 5, 2016
  13. chad313 Win User

sure thing, I tried downloading a realtek driver but I got the same error

chad313, Jul 5, 2016
  14. philc43 Win User
    Have you ever gone into the BIOS to check that the on-board sound is enabled?

How are you currently connecting speakers to your system to listen to the sound?

philc43, Jul 5, 2016
  15. chad313 Win User
    I listen to my sound through my headphones or the hdmi though my monitor, I've never had to use the bios menu and i couldn't find it when i restarted my computer, but i did find another menu that showed me all the internal parts and settings but i didn't find anything that would let me enable my microphone, sorry about that x.x

chad313, Jul 5, 2016
Thema:

1. External Microphone with Windows 10 Not Working - Similar Threads - External Microphone Working

2. Audio and microphone not working externally

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio and microphone not working externally: the audio for my pc is not working externally , and also the microphone is not working.but if i use headphones/earbuds the audio & microphone are working perfectly...
  3. External Microphone Not Working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Microphone Not Working: I plug in my usb external microphone/headset to make a call with Google Voice. I then unplug the headset to join a Zoom call. I get a message through Zoom that I am not connected to audio. I plug the external usb headset in and Zoom does not recognize audio. The only way for...
  4. External microphone won't work

External microphone won't work: Hello, I have recently brought a hp laptop model 14-cf2518na which has one socket for headphones and external microphones. Headphones works fine, but I have plugged in two different external microphones both of which work fine with a different laptop and it doesn't...
  5. External Microphones Not Working

External Microphones Not Working: Windows 10 Home Lenovo S740 Issue: External microphones not working Built-in mic is working fine, but once I switch to a headset either bluetooth or 3.5mm wired, microphone does not pick up anything. I've checked the privacy settings, and mic is enabled. Volume for...
  6. External Microphone Not Working

External Microphone Not Working: I just restarted my Inspirion Dell Laptop I'm not sure if there was a windows update or not but when it restarted even though my headphones were plugged in it would use the built-in microphone. I've tried restarting my computer and reinstalling the microphone driver. I've...
  7. External microphone not working

External microphone not working: I have headphones that have a built in microphone, but whenever I try to use it, it doesn't work. The weird thing is that it was working fine a few days ago, I was recording my voice for something, I messed up and tried to do another take, but the microphone didn't pick up my...
  8. External Microphone not working after Windows 10 Update

External Microphone not working after Windows 10 Update: Hi, My computer updated to the latest Windows 10 patch a couple of days ago and since then my mic hasn't been working. It's being shown as connected, but nothing is being heard by the mic. I've updated all the audio drivers to the latest, both by Windows and by the...
  9. External Microphone not Working

External Microphone not Working: The update has broken my mic. If i plug in an external mic, it doesn't even show up in connected devices. Speakers or headsets don't show up either, but they do play audio when plugged in. The mic neither shows up or plays anything. If I downgrade the audio driver, the mic...
  10. External Microphone not working? Help???

External Microphone not working? Help???: Hello guys, So I bought a "Soonhua SH-666" Condenser Microphone to do voice-overs for my YouTube content. Problem is that my Toshiba Laptop does not recognize it. I have tried everything and the microphone just does not work on my laptop. I have one headphone jack and...