Windows 10: External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue

Discus and support External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a dell laptop that has 1920x1080 resolution. However, i connect it to an external monitor that has 1920x1200 resolution. Basically almost... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by paulyjustin, Oct 8, 2016.

1. External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue

I have a dell laptop that has 1920x1080 resolution. However, i connect it to an external monitor that has 1920x1200 resolution. Basically almost everything i do is on my external monitor which acts as my main primary screen. Thus i do sometimes open some windows or drag a window or so to the other screen like youtube etc to the laptop screen.

My issue at the moment is everything is way too big on the laptop screen. I want to have 1920x1080 resolution but its way too big. I googled what is my resolution on it and it shows 1536 x 864. Can someone tell me how to change this to 1920x1080?

My external monitor which is my main monitor is fine at the moment with the 1920x1200.

:)

paulyjustin, Oct 8, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Scale and Layout On Different Monitors?

Hi Markos,

When a laptop or PC has a screen or monitor attached (be it your laptop or external monitor) what happens is Windows polls that device and works out the optimal resolution for that device.

In the case of your internal screen that is 1920x1080 that is why it is marked (Recommended).

Then if you connect an external monitor, Windows will work out the optimal resolution for that screen and apply that - it may or may not be the same as your laptop resolution

Windows will run both monitors at their optimal resolution. You can change this manually if you wish later . . .

DaveM121, Oct 8, 2016
  3. why do we lose function in our external monitors when we do windows 10 updates

Try this:

• Connect it to the external monitor then switch ON your laptop. If you failed to get the display in external monitor, then use the proper combination keys(like Fn+F5/ the function key that's having the monitor symbol on it) to toggle between your laptop
      screen and the external monitor.
    • Try decreasing your screen resolution.

Yuri Nathan, Oct 8, 2016
  4. External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue

Settings > System > Display > Advanced display settings (at the bottom). Select the monitor you want to change the resolution on, then change the resolution setting in the drop down list.

alphanumeric, Oct 9, 2016
  5. Elias Win User
    Just go to Settings>System>Display>Advanced Display Settings
    Then choose 1920 × 1080 (Recommended)
    Hope this helped

Elias, Oct 9, 2016
  6. I fixed this with another method. Changing the percentage if text etc to 100 percent which is the minimum...

Can someone here confirm this is the method?

paulyjustin, Oct 12, 2016
  7. 100% is the normal default setting. If it was set higher, that will make things look bigger than normal. It might even distort things. Even when set to 100%, you still want the resolution set to the native resolution of the monitor for best viewing.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue

1. External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue - Similar Threads - External Monitor Laptop

2. External Monitor screen resolution issue looses driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Monitor screen resolution issue looses driver: Greetings.I have two external monitors connected to my laptop. LG Monitor is connected trough a USB-C dock station to laptop. This dock has HDMI to HDMI. A third monitor tv monitor is connected trough HDMI port on laptop.Everytime laptop came from a "suspend" mode. LG Monitor...
  3. External Monitor screen resolution issue looses driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Monitor screen resolution issue looses driver: Greetings.I have two external monitors connected to my laptop. LG Monitor is connected trough a USB-C dock station to laptop. This dock has HDMI to HDMI. A third monitor tv monitor is connected trough HDMI port on laptop.Everytime laptop came from a "suspend" mode. LG Monitor...
  4. External Monitor screen resolution issue looses driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External Monitor having resolution Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Monitor having resolution Issues: Hey there, I have a just bought a new Laptop and It has Windows 10 Preinstalled in it More details provided below. Now, I am using an External Display My old PC's Monitor which has maximum Resolution capacity - 1366 x 768 Model details given below so now if I connect my...
  6. External Monitor having resolution Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Monitor having resolution Issues: Hey there, I have a just bought a new Laptop and It has Windows 10 Preinstalled in it More details provided below. Now, I am using an External Display My old PC's Monitor which has maximum Resolution capacity - 1366 x 768 Model details given below so now if I connect my...
  7. External Monitor having resolution Issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. External Monitor Resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    External Monitor Resolution: Last update, my laptop came back with the resolution of the external monitor set back to 1024x768, with its normal 1280x1024 not available to select. How do I get that resolution back?...
  9. Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor?: Hey everyone, I recently bought an external monitor for my laptop and I would like to use both of the screens in extended mode. The problem is that my laptop's screen resolution is 1366x768 and the external monitor's resolution is 1440x900. How do I change the...
  10. Netbook external monitor resolution issues

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Netbook external monitor resolution issues: I am having issues with external monitor resolution in my netbook with Windows 10 Monitor: HP Pavilion 22cw, (my current desktop monitor) using VGA If I select "Extend desktop" then the monitor is set to 1920x1080 just fine and the netbook's screen shows fine. But if I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. external screen resolution issue