Windows 10: External monitor gray screen

Discus and support External monitor gray screen in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; BlKmHnXVUy8 Hardware: Schenker XMG A726 (Clevo N170RF1-G) Notebook Review - NotebookCheck.net Reviews Look at this sh*t. No matter which multi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by linustorvalds, Feb 23, 2018.

1. External monitor gray screen

[youtube]BlKmHnXVUy8[/youtube]

Hardware: Schenker XMG A726 (Clevo N170RF1-G) Notebook Review - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

Look at this sh*t. No matter which multi display mode I pick, the external monitor simply shows a gray screen without a cursor or anything.

I did try every single monitor related setting I could find without luck. Of course I also completely removed video drivers and installed different ones. The one that Windows automatically picks after removing the official NVIDIA one doesn't work, the one the laptop manufacturer has on his homepage doesn't work and the most recent one from nvidia.com doesn't work.

The same setup works fine with Linux, so it's certainly not a hardware or cable issue. Also as you can see on the video the screen doesn't simply stay black or something, but shows a gray background without anything else. Weirdest thing. I spent hours googleing and debugging without luck - nobody else seems to have experienced this kind of issue. Hope someone got an idea. Thanks!

:)

linustorvalds, Feb 23, 2018
  2. cutejoshi Win User

Windows 10 Rotation Lock

Hi All,

The Rotation Lock in WIndows 10, When i Access with the primary (Inbuilt screen) the rotation lock is working fine but when I'm accessing with External HDMI monitor in Second screen only the option is grayed out (Not working). For External monitor i checked
    registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AutoRotation here LastOrientation is already 0. Does windows rotation
    lock supports only inbuilt screen ??

cutejoshi, Feb 23, 2018
  3. Surface Book 2 + Surface Dock = <removed>

One of the external monitors is already set as the primary display.

This problem exhibits itself when I close the laptop lid, and plug in the docking station. One of the monitors shows a gray screen with nothing on it, while the login screen shows up on the *closed* laptop lid. It's not until I open the laptop lid and
    log in and then shut the lid, and then wait, hopefully about 1/2 the time window is able to wake up both monitors. Then i log in again and can use the machine.

greenleaf108, Feb 23, 2018
Thema:

External monitor gray screen

1. External monitor gray screen - Similar Threads - External monitor gray

2. Screen Saver not working with external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Saver not working with external monitor: I own an Asus laptop purchased in 2019 and used HDMI port to plug into a 28" Asus external monitor. The screen saver works sometimes but not hardly at all. I tired changing lots of settings but still won't come on after setting the time limit. Any suggestions?...
  3. Blurry screen on external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blurry screen on external monitor: Hello when I try to use 1080p on my second monitor I get a message saying this is not the optimal resolution... u can read the message in screenshot, And the screen the external one because I am using a laptop becomes kinda blurry u can see in the screenshot. I thaught the...
  4. Blurry screen on external monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blurry screen on external monitor: Hello when I try to use 1080p on my second monitor I get a message saying this is not the optimal resolution... u can read the message in screenshot, And the screen the external one because I am using a laptop becomes kinda blurry u can see in the screenshot. I thaught the...
  5. Blurry screen on external monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. External monitor switching to monitor screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External monitor switching to monitor screen: My external monitor keeps switching to my monitor's screen for a second,then switchs back again.It's very annoying,I checked the cable,i even forced it in,nothing has changedDoes anyone know the fix?...
  7. External monitor switching to monitor screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitor switching to monitor screen: My external monitor keeps switching to my monitor's screen for a second,then switchs back again.It's very annoying,I checked the cable,i even forced it in,nothing has changedDoes anyone know the fix?...
  8. External monitor switching to monitor screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Monitor is Gray and white

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitor is Gray and white: I am unable to change to a color on my monitor. I too have the 50 shades of gray issue. How can I get some color in my life? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monitor-is-gray-and-white/5a54556e-e9b0-44a9-972b-53eee7ec962d
  10. External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue: I have a dell laptop that has 1920x1080 resolution. However, i connect it to an external monitor that has 1920x1200 resolution. Basically almost everything i do is on my external monitor which acts as my main primary screen. Thus i do sometimes open some windows or drag a...