Windows 10: External monitor is not working with my Windows 10 laptop

Discus and support External monitor is not working with my Windows 10 laptop in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a small HP laptop with Windows 10. Everything works except I cannot get an external monitor to work. The external monitor used to work with this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by MikeFox, May 6, 2018.

1. MikeFox Win User

External monitor is not working with my Windows 10 laptop

I have a small HP laptop with Windows 10. Everything works except I cannot get an external monitor to work. The external monitor used to work with this laptop. I know the external monitor and HDMI cable still work because I tried with a different computer.

With my Windows 10 laptop I go to Control Panel -> Display -> Screen Resolution. I see it sees a second monitor with or without the HDMI cable plugged in. My laptop has no VGA port.

When I try to extend the display when the HDMI cable is connected, I see "The display settings could not be saved. Please try a different combination of display settings."

I tried using Fn + F4. I tried using Windows button + P. I tried rebooting. I tried closing the lid of my laptop.

This laptop and external monitor combination used to work -- months ago. I have not applied any updates since then. I have not installed anything since then. The physical cable is the same. I do not know why it would stop working. I do not use this Windows 10 laptop on the internet.

In the Control Panel for Screen Resolution, there are drop down menus. Some of these values show the brand of the monitor when everything is working. With my Windows 10 laptop that does not have the external monitor working, the Screen Resolution drop down menus do not detect the monitor brand. With my Window computer that works with the external monitor, the brand name is detected and displayed in a drop down menu in the control panel. The non-working laptop refers to a VGA device in one of the values in a drop down menu.

How can I get my laptop to extend or project the display to an external monitor?

:)

MikeFox, May 6, 2018
Thema:

External monitor is not working with my Windows 10 laptop

1. External monitor is not working with my Windows 10 laptop - Similar Threads - External monitor working

2. External monitor randomly stopped working with my Laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External monitor randomly stopped working with my Laptop: Hi,I have a ViewSonic external monitor VA2407H that stopped working with my laptop. When I plug the HDMI cable to the laptop, the laptop screen starts blinking and readjusting forever. Here is a video of what it does: https://youtu.be/NMnr1ZCWMY8What puzzles me is that this...
  3. External monitor randomly stopped working with my Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitor randomly stopped working with my Laptop: Hi,I have a ViewSonic external monitor VA2407H that stopped working with my laptop. When I plug the HDMI cable to the laptop, the laptop screen starts blinking and readjusting forever. Here is a video of what it does: https://youtu.be/NMnr1ZCWMY8What puzzles me is that this...
  4. External monitor randomly stopped working with my Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 laptop not working consistently with external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 laptop not working consistently with external monitor: I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon with a new install of Windows 11 Enterprise. I have the laptop connected to an external monitor and several other peripherals through a Lenovo Thinkpad Dock. All other peripherals are behaving as expected. I've set all the power options to...
  6. Windows 11 laptop not working consistently with external monitor

Windows 11 laptop not working consistently with external monitor: I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon with a new install of Windows 11 Enterprise. I have the laptop connected to an external monitor and several other peripherals through a Lenovo Thinkpad Dock. All other peripherals are behaving as expected. I've set all the power options to...
  7. External monitor not working on windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitor not working on windows 10: I have a windows 10 laptop connected to an external display. It was working fine for months but it stopped working suddenly.after i turned on my laptop. It works fine on pop os dual booted with windows 10 on the same laptop updating the drivers didn't and neither did...
  8. External monitor not working on windows 10

External monitor not working on windows 10: I have a windows 10 laptop connected to an external display. It was working fine for months but it stopped working suddenly.after i turned on my laptop. It works fine on pop os dual booted with windows 10 on the same laptop updating the drivers didn't and neither did...
  9. External monitor not working on windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. windows 10 laptop with external monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    windows 10 laptop with external monitor: just installed a laptop connected to dock with external monitor, mouse & keyboard everything seems to work fine during the day. my problem is every morning I try to use the keyboard or mouse to wake up the laptop & monitor. nothing works until I hit the power button on the...