Windows 10: External monitor not found after Win 10 update

Discus and support External monitor not found after Win 10 update in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a Dell XPS laptop and a circa 2008 Lenovo ThinkVision monitor connected via docking station. The docking station is still working for my mouse,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by zobeet, Oct 29, 2016.

1. zobeet Win User

External monitor not found after Win 10 update

I have a Dell XPS laptop and a circa 2008 Lenovo ThinkVision monitor connected via docking station. The docking station is still working for my mouse, printer, hardwired network connection and speakers, only the monitor is a problem.
    Also, I know there's a signal somewhere, because when everything is connected (monitor ==>docking station ==> laptop) the monitor power button is green instead of amber, and the monitor reads Power Saving Mode. When the chain is broken, the power button turns amber and the screen is dark.
    When I go into Settings, I see only one monitor. Windows 10 no longer detects an external monitor. This happened immediately after the last major Windows update. Maybe it was a coincidence, I don't know.
    I have visited the Lenovo website, there are no drivers for my monitor on it anymore, just a terse listing of features.
    To be clear, everything worked and Windows 10 saw my external monitor until this last update. Since then it has not worked. I changed nothing. I have rebooted, plugged and unplugged everything in all imaginable sequences. No joy.

:)

zobeet, Oct 29, 2016

2. Latest windows 10 update issue

I have a Dell Laptop that has Win 7 (64 bit), a Toshiba PA3575U port replicator, and a Dell 19” monitor attached to the DVI port on the replicator.

I created a dual partition so I could also run Win 10 using the same configuration as above and all worked ok after reloaded the Win 10 driver for the port replicator.

Just recently, an update for Win 10 installed (I believe it was KB3194798) and my external monitor is no longer recognized in DVI or Analog mode. I removed and reloaded the latest Win 10 driver for the port replicator and external monitor still not
    recognized. When I boot to my Win 7 Partition, all works OK.

Do you have any suggestions to restore my external monitor, can I rollback the latest Win 10 update so I can get my monitor to work again, or am I stuck with what I have now?

DennisNowak, Oct 29, 2016
  3. Oscar468 Win User
    External monitor won't display after upgrade

I have a Samsung Ultra Series 7 NP740U3E 13.3" laptop, with a monitor connected from its HDMI port to VGA on an external AOC monitor

Displayed fine on Win 8, but after upgrade to Win 10, I just can't get it to recognize it at all

Been into Device Manager and updated graphics driver (Radeon 8750M) but still no joy

Pressed Windows key plus P to switch to External or duplicate monitor but again nothing

Any help appreciated!

Oscar468, Oct 29, 2016
  4. External monitor not found after Win 10 update

You likely need to reinstall the driver package for the docking station. If its connected via USB it has a USB GPU inside it that uses its own driver. It will also be listed separately under Display Adapters in Device Manager. Its not running off of the laptops GPU. Connect it directly to the HDMI port on the laptop and it will likely work.

alphanumeric, Oct 30, 2016
  5. zobeet Win User
    I disconnected the docking station and uninstalled the driver, rebooted my laptop and reconnected the docking station. The driver reinstalled and connected my keyboard and mouse, but still no monitor, and now the external speakers aren't working. There is no HDMI port on my laptop. It's super-thin, and HDMI was a casualty. My monitor currently has an 18 pin connector anyway. Maybe it would support HDMI, I haven't needed to try before.

zobeet, Oct 31, 2016
  6. Have a look in the driver section of the support page on the manufacturers web site for your Docking Station. It's likely a driver package (a set of drivers). Windows may only be detecting parts of it and not installing all the drivers needed. Inside its a combination of USB devices/adapters. It's all in the one unit but its really a USB soundcard, USB video adapter, etc. I just assumed it was HDMI, sounds like its VGA or HDMI. Have a look in Device manager for any devices with a yellow ! or red X.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

External monitor not found after Win 10 update

1. External monitor not found after Win 10 update - Similar Threads - External monitor found

2. External monitor not working after an update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitor not working after an update: I tried a different cable, driver update, driver unistall/reinstall. Windows does not detect second monitor and the monitor states no signal when hdmi plugged in and turned on....
  3. External monitor not working after an update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External monitor not working after an update: I tried a different cable, driver update, driver unistall/reinstall. Windows does not detect second monitor and the monitor states no signal when hdmi plugged in and turned on....
  4. External monitor not working after an update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External monitor not detected after latest insider update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitor not detected after latest insider update.: I update my windows 11, but after the update, my external monitor is not being detected. Since I'm on Windows 11 Insider plan, I cannot get support from a windows agent. Does anyone know how to solve the problem? FYI, I have updated the device drivers and display drivers, and...
  6. Second monitor not found after Windows update

Second monitor not found after Windows update: I am having issues connecting my second monitor to my laptop. On Thursday 7/15 it detected the monitor and was asked to update during shut down. Today 7/20 it will now not detect the monitor. Have followed all trouble shooting steps from restarting all the way to uninstalling...
  7. external monitor not found after update

external monitor not found after update: My laptop updated on 8/13/2020. After the update my HDMI monitor no longer connected to the laptop. I have tried to use "detect" but the laptop just doesn't seem to be able to find the monitor. I have follow all the steps, changed out the HDMI cord, switched ports to no...
  8. External Monitors not working after windows update

External Monitors not working after windows update: I updated windows and now monitors wont work and aren't detected in settings. I've tried "windows button + P" to extend. I've tried scanning for driver updates in device manager. I've tried rolling back driver updates but its greyed out. Ive tried restarting, unplugging, etc....
  9. external monitor slow to open after sleep windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    external monitor slow to open after sleep windows 10 update: After a windows 10 64 bits update, my external monitor is slow to open after sleep. While the laptop monitor opens immediately, the external monitor opens only after one minute. I tried to run an hardware and device troubleshooting, but it seems to no more exists on windows...
  10. second monitor no longer displays after win 10 update

second monitor no longer displays after win 10 update: This is a weird one but seems to be quite common for peeps who have upgraded from win 7 - 10. I'm running win10 pro. After a win 10 update in Feb, I restarted my machine and my second monitor no longer works. That update also trashed my NVIDIA driver updates but I have...