Windows 10: External Monitor - text sizes TOO SMALL after re-boot. (100130)

Discus and support External Monitor - text sizes TOO SMALL after re-boot. (100130) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there After a re-boot on a system with a large external monitor the text sizes are reset again and are TINY !!! even if I make the "global... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Jun 7, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

External Monitor - text sizes TOO SMALL after re-boot. (100130)

Hi there

After a re-boot on a system with a large external monitor the text sizes are reset again and are TINY !!! even if I make the "global display" to 125 or even 150% of normal. I have to set the text items as well individually as it reverts back to 9 each re-boot -- far too small on my monitor.

13 is about right on this monitor -- 9 which it re-sets back to after a re-boot is TINY !!!.

Do I.T developers all have "eagle vision" or do they sit with their noses 0.05cm from their screens. A lot of programs seem to suffer from Tiny menu text sizes too -- prime example is Adobe photoshop.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jun 7, 2015

2. Dell XPS 15.6 Monitor issues

After quickly checking, my drivers seem to be completely up to date, otherwise, to answer the individual questions:

The external monitor has been having this same issue since its been plugged in, Id also like to note that the external monitor's drivers are also up to date and installed on the laptop.

I have connected the external monitor to my desktop, and have not had any of these issues.

These issues have been here since I first set up the laptop with the monitor, which around the time of purchase, about 2 weeks ago.

No changes have been made to the computer prior to these issues, theyve seemingly always been here.

Trouble shooting steps Ive gone through is making sure the laptop has been completely updated, going through the display settings, trying to find the best resolution and text size, however what I chose doesnt seem to matter, as the programs will still have
    text and UI sizes too small, or too large on both the external monitor and the laptop.

What would the next step be?

HuntsHutch, Jun 7, 2015
  3. Need Help with External Monitors and Windows Scaling

Thanks, Jomel!

Strange I didn't get the follow-up notification. Both my laptop and the external monitor are set at 1080.

I tried setting the external monitor as my primary monitor and it worked but the same apps looked blurry on my laptop after doing so. Either reducing the recommended 'text and font size' on my laptop from 120% to100% or increasing the same on my external
    monitor from the recommended %100 to %120 didn't seem to help. They are either big or too small. Why is it so complicated?

My graphic cards drivers are up to date.

1. Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

2. NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 4 GB

Thanks for the help!

iam_amjath, Jun 7, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Probably a bug. These settings are not arbitrarily chosen by a developer, they are usually specified by a product management team.

Regarding small menu sizes in some apps.. the users prefer to maximize their usable area, not have it taken up with large menus, so the developers tend to go with what the "professional" users who already know the menus and can use them blindfolded want.

Mystere, Jun 7, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

It should be (I say should be - I'm not a developer so I could be totally wrong) a simple process to create dynamic menu box sizes so the USER could re-size to a convenient size for their particular hardware.

Also as people get older usually their eyesight deteriorates so reading tiny text becomes vet difficult or even impossible.

The problem doesn't exist BTW on a couple of laptops with INTEL HD displays -- problem seems to come from desktop with one of those wretched Nvidia graphics in it. Could be the Nvidia driver.

(The photoshop menu problem though still exists whatever device I'm using).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 7, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    Yes, well, certain problems seem like they may be simple and it is often hard to explain why that is. See the standard for this:

xkcd: Tasks

Mystere, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. External Monitor - text sizes TOO SMALL after re-boot. (100130) - Similar Threads - External Monitor text

2. OVERALL TEXT SIZE IS TOO SMALL.....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OVERALL TEXT SIZE IS TOO SMALL.....: Greetings--I am using Windows 10 Pro, and I need to know how to make the overall text desktop, windows/screens, file manager, search, etc. in Windows {and the desktop icons for that matter} larger.I've used the text area of settings currently set at 150 and as you can see in...
  3. OVERALL TEXT SIZE IS TOO SMALL.....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OVERALL TEXT SIZE IS TOO SMALL.....: Greetings--I am using Windows 10 Pro, and I need to know how to make the overall text desktop, windows/screens, file manager, search, etc. in Windows {and the desktop icons for that matter} larger.I've used the text area of settings currently set at 150 and as you can see in...
  4. OVERALL TEXT SIZE IS TOO SMALL.....

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. too small text size after windows update of this week

in Windows 10 Gaming
    too small text size after windows update of this week: AGAIN, as after EVERY update a setting or other issue appears on my desktop, Windows 10, 21H1, Edge, 98.0.01108.56. Now it is Edge print is too tiny to read. How to reset to default?...
  6. too small text size after windows update of this week

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    too small text size after windows update of this week: AGAIN, as after EVERY update a setting or other issue appears on my desktop, Windows 10, 21H1, Edge, 98.0.01108.56. Now it is Edge print is too tiny to read. How to reset to default?...
  7. too small text size after windows update of this week

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Icon & System Text size too small

Icon & System Text size too small: I am using Windows 10 on a machine at work. I no longer can change the text size of the icons and system fonts. When I use the Display option to increase by 125%, the fonts are basically unreadable and too large in ArcGIS and several other specialized programs we use. It also...
  9. Some windows sizes and text are too small

Some windows sizes and text are too small: Ever since I received my new Surface Book 2 running Windows 10 Pro, I've had occasional annoying issues with some windows sizes and text being extremely small. I spent weeks trying to resolve the issue with no luck. I've also read a few issues like this from other users who...
  10. Windows 10 Text Size Too Small On Tablet

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Text Size Too Small On Tablet: Hello, I'm really disappointed with Windows 10, I'm having problem after problem after problem. I have a 10 inch linx tablet which shipped with Windows 10. The font / text size just seems totally wrong especially when browsing in edge. Whether I'm in tablet mode or...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. text on acer monitor too small