Windows 10: external ntfs partition recognised by one computer, but not the other

Discus and support external ntfs partition recognised by one computer, but not the other in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 2TB disk in USB 2 housing which I formatted on my desktop computer as an NTFS volume. It is still recognised by this machine as an NTFS volume... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ricecrispies, Mar 5, 2017.

1. external ntfs partition recognised by one computer, but not the other

I have a 2TB disk in USB 2 housing which I formatted on my desktop computer as an NTFS volume. It is still recognised by this machine as an NTFS volume even when I plugged it in just now. However on my laptop it is just seen as a raw volume. I swapped it into different housing and tried again, just in case there was a firmware issue, but it still isn't recognised as NTFS.

I had an issue yesterday where a volume on another disk wasn't recognised as an NTFS volume by either computer, but Seagate Seatools told me that this was because the drive itself had failed. However running the short test in Seatools hasn't given me any indication that the drive in question today is in trouble. And as I said, on my desktop computer I can mount the drive and browse the folders without difficulty.

So I'm assuming that yesterday's issue and today's aren't connected, or am I wrong? How can I get my NTFS partition recognised by my laptop?

:)

ricecrispies, Mar 5, 2017

2. What about bluetooth3+HS in Symbian Anna ?

how is that possible ? I tested my external drive which is only 300gb and ntfs and its not recognised . Also I hear people saying their ntfs drives are not recognized . Are you sure your drive is ntfs ?

Vangelis290189, Mar 5, 2017
  3. DaDaDam Win User
    USB External Drive formatted in FAT32 is not displayed in windows 10

Hi,

This external drive is new.

This drive is 1T formatted in FAT32 and contains some data.

This drive works perfectly with a Mac.

The drive connection is via USB 3.0.

My other external drive works perfectly on the same USB port but this other drive is formatted in NTFS.

I tried all USB ports of my computer: same results, not displayed.

After connected this new disk via USB, I can see it in "Device Manager->Disk Drives"

I can see it too in "Storage->Disk Management" but without assigned letter.

It's not possible to assign one (only delete volume action is possible).

No format type is displayed. For the others I can see NTFS.

Here is the visible information of this disk on "Disk Management"

Disk1: Healthy EFI System Partition 200MB, Healthy Primary Partition 931.19 G, Unallocated 128M.

How to fix it?

DaDaDam, Mar 5, 2017
  4. external ntfs partition recognised by one computer, but not the other

UPDATE:
    I tried again and this time the partition was recognised (I had already tried several times before this). So the immediate crisis has been averted, but if anyone has any insight into why Windows can be so finicky about this, it might help someone in the future.

ricecrispies, Mar 5, 2017
Thema:

external ntfs partition recognised by one computer, but not the other

1. external ntfs partition recognised by one computer, but not the other - Similar Threads - external ntfs partition

2. External Microphone not recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Microphone not recognised: I have been trying to set up an external microphone for my laptop, except it refuses to recognise the device. The basic details are:-Windows 11 Home-Microphone is one that came in the LVLUP 6 in one gaming bundle-Laptop is MSI Katana GF66I have a headset with a microphone...
  3. External Microphone not recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Microphone not recognised: I have been trying to set up an external microphone for my laptop, except it refuses to recognise the device. The basic details are:-Windows 11 Home-Microphone is one that came in the LVLUP 6 in one gaming bundle-Laptop is MSI Katana GF66I have a headset with a microphone...
  4. FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.: I AM HAVING AN OLD INTERNAL HARD DISK OF NOT WORKING OLD Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. This internal hard disk is having two partition named as 'C' and 'D' In partition 'C' PROGRAM FILES, WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM FILES AND SOME OF FREE SOFTWARE'S INSTALLED PROGRAMS. This...
  5. FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.: I AM HAVING AN OLD INTERNAL HARD DISK OF NOT WORKING OLD Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. This internal hard disk is having two partition named as 'C' and 'D' In partition 'C' PROGRAM FILES, WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM FILES AND SOME OF FREE SOFTWARE'S INSTALLED PROGRAMS. This...
  6. FORMATTING ONE PARTITION OF EXTERNAL HARD DISK.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. raw and ntfs partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    raw and ntfs partition: Had a disk partition that turned raw. Already read all the posts on converting raw partitions to ntfs partitions without formatting disk.Convert d: /fs:ntfs doesn't work returning message "d: is already ntfs". If I open disk management the partition d: is marked as raw, btw....
  8. Recognise partition as disk

Recognise partition as disk: I have a partition on my OS drive, but I would like the partition to be recognised as a separate disk instead. Is this possible in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recognise-partition-as-disk/257baa9c-de9d-4c41-9111-24a9a9296479
  9. How to make computer recognise external microphone

How to make computer recognise external microphone: Hi Everyone I am using a small netbook laptop Lenovo about 4 years old. The Windows 10 version is 1903. Now that we are all locked down I am using zoom a lot BUT so far I have had to use it on my smartphone because on this computer, although I can hear other people, they...
  10. Windows no longer recognises external disk as NTFS

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows no longer recognises external disk as NTFS: I've got an external hard disk which I was using to back up two computers. The last time I used it it was recognised properly as containing an NTFS volume by both computers (both running Windows 10). However this time it is no longer recognised properly by either of the two...