Windows 10: External speakers not working

Discus and support External speakers not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I turn on the computer I see a message that states 'audio output device is not installed'. The speakers have been attached to another computer and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Funkyecat, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Funkyecat Win User

External speakers not working

When I turn on the computer I see a message that states 'audio output device is not installed'. The speakers have been attached to another computer and work fine. They worked fine last week.

:)

Funkyecat, Oct 26, 2017

2. External Speakers - Not working

What is the make and model of your computer?

If you’re unable to hear audio, there are some things you can try. First, check if the volume is turned down or muted.

If you have recently upgraded to Windows 10, your previous audio driver might not be compatible. Uninstalling and reinstalling your audio device might resolve the issue. Press Windows Key + X and click Device Manager. Then expand Sound > video and game controller.
    Select your audio device, right-click it and Uninstall. Restart your computer and let Windows redetect it. You can also check Windows Update for the latest drivers for your sound card.

If the problem persists, try running the Troubleshooting audio playback fix it.

Source:
    https://www.groovypost.com/howto/manage-audio-d...

Also see instructions about downloading and updating your drivers manually:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

Press Windows key + R

Type: control

Hit Enter

Open Sound

Under the Playback tab, right the audio device, then click Set as Default Device

Click Apply then OK

Check if you can hear sound.

If not, open Start > Settings > Update & security > Troubleshoot

Click Playing audio

Click Run the troubleshooter

When complete, restart then check if you can play audio.

Andre Da Costa, Oct 26, 2017
  3. External Speakers - Not working

Right click the Volume icon in bottom right System Tray notification area, choose Playback devices. If the speakers don't appear, right click an empty area to check for Hidden devices. If they do, right click on them to Set as Default, Configure and Test.

If that fails run the Sound Playback and Hardware & Devices troubleshooters at Settings>Update & Security>Troubleshoot. .

If those all fail then right click Start to open Device Manager, open Sound controller device, click on Driver tab, then uninstall, Apply, OK, restart PC to reinstall.

If that fails check for newer Sound driver on the PC's Support Downloads webpage.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Oct 26, 2017
  4. External speakers not working

Hi Funkyecat.

What version and build are you on. Windows Key +R, type winver, enter.

In device manager are there any yellow exclamation marks.

You said you get this when you turn computer on, I assume this means power up from cold machine. Does the audio work if you restart computer?

Does this only happen when you power on machine?

What adapter do you have for sound? Have you tried rolling back driver?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 27, 2017
  5. Funkyecat Win User
    Believe it or not. After reviewing only 2 pages (or 7 of 'Black Viper's' service recommendations they are working.
    Thanx anyway.

Funkyecat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

External speakers not working

1. External speakers not working - Similar Threads - External speakers working

2. External speakers not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External speakers not working: Greetings, My Razer Nommo external speakers have no sound.I'm running Win 10 and I have upgraded and checked my connections, I have also uninstalled Realtek and installed it again, but yet still nothing is happening.When I tap on the speaker icon in my taskbar all that shows...
  3. External speakers not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External speakers not working: Greetings, My Razer Nommo external speakers have no sound.I'm running Win 10 and I have upgraded and checked my connections, I have also uninstalled Realtek and installed it again, but yet still nothing is happening.When I tap on the speaker icon in my taskbar all that shows...
  4. External speakers not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External speakers stopped working

External speakers stopped working: My external speakers have stopped playing sound out of my PC, even though they are working. When troubleshooting it says 'no jack available' and the speakers are connected to the jack port. I've updated drivers, restarted PC and it's still not connecting. It's to do with a...
  6. external speakers not working

external speakers not working: My External speakers stopped working. May be due to Realtek update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-speakers-not-working/8e5437f8-70d4-47ee-ae16-d7a00ec4ca98
  7. external speakers not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external speakers not working: My External speakers stopped working. May be due to Realtek update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-speakers-not-working/8e5437f8-70d4-47ee-ae16-d7a00ec4ca98
  8. external speakers not working

9. External Speaker Is Not Working

External Speaker Is Not Working: I have connected two wires from the speakers to the laptop but the external speaker is not working. The sound is being heard from the internal speaker. I have already tried clicking the speaker button in the taskbar. Please suggest me something else than that....
  10. External Speakers not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External Speakers not working: Hey there, my work computer is brand new and running windows 10. We previously had XP (I know...) for some reason the speakers will not play music at all. I’ve tried the troubleshooting options and to show disabled/disconnected items on the audio menu but they aren’t even...