Windows 10: External Toshiba Drive Labelled as 'System' when making System Image

Discus and support External Toshiba Drive Labelled as 'System' when making System Image in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When trying to create a System Image in the "Backup and Restore" facility built into Windows 10, my External 2TB Hard Drive wasn't displayed as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GitNet, Nov 23, 2016.

1. GitNet Win User

External Toshiba Drive Labelled as 'System' when making System Image

When trying to create a System Image in the "Backup and Restore" facility built into Windows 10, my External 2TB Hard Drive wasn't displayed as a viable location. After doing some digging, it was found in the same utility that the Hard Drive in question was labelled as "SYSTEM", and the drive would be required to be included as part of the image, and that the image couldn't be located on that drive, which, as the [external] hard drive already has around 450GiB+ on it, makes the total size of the backups around 600GiB, which won't fit on any other hard drive I have.

Sidenote:
    The 2TB Hard Drive is partitioned to include a 100GiB partition of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with the GRUB 2 Bootloader but as the partition isn't recognised by Windows, surely this can't be affecting the Partition Type.

Is there anything that I could do in order to remove the label from the Hard Drive, as I'm trying to create a System Image as a S.M.A.R.T. test on Ubuntu 16.04 suggested that there may be anywhere up to 190 Failing Sectors on my Internal 320GB Hard Drive.

Thanks in advance.

:)

GitNet, Nov 23, 2016

2. Windows 10 Hard disk failure

Thank you for that. Yesterday I independently followed the steps you outline above. Having made the system image on an external hard drive the system suggested that I make a repair disc which I did. The system then told me to label the repair disc as "repair
    disc, windows 10 32- bit".

So things should be okay now as I have a system image and a repair disc should the hard drive fail.

We seem to be back to the state we had with Windows 7 regarding hard disc failure and recovery, which is great. The only minor problem is that the appropriate window is labelled "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)". If that reference to Windows 7 was removed
    then we as users would not be reluctant to go to the next step of creating a system image, or for that matter creating a system repair disc..

I assume that a system image is a system image whether we are in Windows 7 or 10!

ThomasLangford, Nov 23, 2016
  3. File History

I've connected a Seagate external hard drive to my Expansion Drive (FExternal Toshiba Drive Labelled as 'System' when making System Image :). I was able to create a system image to this drive, but when I tried to use File History to copy files to the same hard drive, File History does not recognise the external hard drive
    in Drive (FExternal Toshiba Drive Labelled as 'System' when making System Image :) and says that there is an unknown error.

Why is Drive (FExternal Toshiba Drive Labelled as 'System' when making System Image :) recognised when I make a system image but not when I use File History, and what can I do to solve this problem?

WordsworthPrice, Nov 23, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Use any free imaging software and it should work fine

Samuria, Nov 23, 2016
Thema:

1. External Toshiba Drive Labelled as 'System' when making System Image - Similar Threads - External Toshiba Drive

2. Is it possible to restore a system image to an external drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to restore a system image to an external drive?: I have an SSD drive that has Win 10 that got so corrupted I am not able to boot into Recovery mode. Even a system repair disk does not work. It always goes into Automatic Repair and stays there forever. I've removed the SSD from the latop it was in and the drive passes all...
  3. Is it possible to restore a system image to an external drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to restore a system image to an external drive?: I have an SSD drive that has Win 10 that got so corrupted I am not able to boot into Recovery mode. Even a system repair disk does not work. It always goes into Automatic Repair and stays there forever. I've removed the SSD from the latop it was in and the drive passes all...
  4. Is it possible to restore a system image to an external drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  6. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  7. Creating system Image to external drive

8. Create System Image of External Drive

Create System Image of External Drive: My mother's Dell 5566 laptop died mid-use last week - pretty sure it's the mobo. She hasn't backed up recently so she wants to do that before she takes it in to get fixed I'm working on it with her remotely. Got her a SATA cable to check it using another laptop and it's...
  9. Question about making a system image on an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question about making a system image on an external hard drive: If I make a system image of version 1803 on an external hard drive (using the built in software of Windows 10) and in the future want to make an image of an updated version of Windows 10, can it be made on the same external drive or is there a way to do this? Thanks in...
  10. Making a Systems Image

Making a Systems Image: Having just updated Windows 10 V1803 86X based system to KB4462919, but am still unable to make a Systems Image on to an external HDD due to erroneous RPC service unavailable failures. Been trying for most of Sept but to no avail. Must I resort to a Non-Microsoft backup...