Windows 10: extra large icons stopped working

Discus and support extra large icons stopped working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If I open my windows 10 file explorer " this PC downloads", and want to see thumbnails in extra large size, this suddenly no longer works. All the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by elektra, Jan 15, 2017.

1. elektra Win User

extra large icons stopped working

If I open my windows 10 file explorer " this PC downloads", and want to see thumbnails in extra large size, this suddenly no longer works.
    All the other sizes still work. Extra large is highlighted as my choice of size, but produces the same size as medium icons, though in a different configuration. i.e. they are in vertical lines with much white space between them, instead of horizontal lines quite close together, as in the medium size.
    I have tried search and view etc but nothing works.
    Up to 3 days ago the extra large size worked perfectly.
    On my other windows 10 computer they still work. I have checked the ticked boxes in search and view on both computers and they are identical. Any ideas?

:)

elektra, Jan 15, 2017
  2. PFCMCL Win User

Windows Explorer Extra Large Icons View Not Working

Jenith, I think you meant on step "c", Now select extra large icons.

Well, that's exactly what I'm doing and it's not working. Like I said in my original post, when I choose "extra large icons" the only thing that happens is that there's a much bigger white space separating/around the icons, but the actual
    icons are the same size as in the large icon view.

PFCMCL, Jan 15, 2017
  3. Picture icons is to small on Windows 10 computer

Old title: Picture icons is to small

Hi

I have Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 13 with a high resolution of 3200 * 1800.

When I manage my Pictures the icon size of the Pictures is way to small.

The "Extra lagre icons" setting displays the icons in the same size as "Large icons".

Is there some way to fix the "extra large icons" setting to work?

Thanks,

Marius

Marius232323, Jan 15, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, forgive the obvious question:
    - do you have a system restore point prior to this occurring?
    - or a disk image which you can use to restore your system to a previous state? (We strongly recommend the routine use of disk imaging e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) )

Is this problem apparent only in this one folder?

Please compare this
    a. in Safe Mode
    b. after a clean boot
    c. when logged in as another user (create one for test purposes).

a & b may help to eliminate 3rd party conflicts (but not context menu extensions)
    c may help to identify a user profile corruption issue.

Finally, do you know of any changes you have made in the last 3 days?

dalchina, Jan 16, 2017
  5. elektra Win User
    dear dalchina, thanks VERY much for your quick and clear response. Dont worry, no question is too obvious for me.
    I have no system restore point and nothing with which to restore to previous point.
    After opening in safe mode there was no difference.
    Also after clean boot no difference.
    I tried to add another user but couldnt because Im no good with computers, so dont yet know about that.
    I didnt notice that I made changes in the last 3 days, but could have done so unknowingly, I suppose.
    10 days ago there was a windows update.
    Also the sound and brightness has stopped working unless I preceed it by Fn
    The PrtScr has stopped working without the windows key preceeding it.
    THanks again, hope there might be a sollution

elektra, Jan 17, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, as you have a number of problems not related to your user account and present in safe mode, I would suggest you do an in-place upgrade repair install. Here's my write-up on it.. do make sure you start using disk imaging - that's how you can recover should something go wrong during this procedure. This will take you some time to prepare for; there are several steps.

You may like to find a friend who's familiar with PCs as this, while routine to many people, will seem a lot to take on first time.

Precede it with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:

From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed, and x64 if you have a 64 bits OS, else x86 (32 bits).

Recommendation:
    Before you perform the following major repair procedure, do create a disk image (see below).

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Tutorials
    - this includes a link from which you can obtain Windows 10 iso file (" download a Windows 10 ISO"), or create a bootable medium.

I would recommend creating the bootable medium, as this can be used
    - for any future in-place upgrade repair install
    - to boot from and use its recovery options should Windows become unbootable.
    - to clean install Windows

This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - no personal data should be affected
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
    - inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
    - if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
    This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) + boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Jan 17, 2017
  7. elektra Win User
    What a clear and helpful answer. I am going now to buy the disk and will put your plan into action as soon as someone is free to help me. THANKYOU!

elektra, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. extra large icons stopped working - Similar Threads - extra large icons

2. Extra large icons - are not making the images bigger

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Extra large icons - are not making the images bigger: In window 11 The options “extra large icons” are not bigger then large icons It just makes the space between the icons bigger So the previous photos on the icon areNot big and it is so hard to see witch photo it is windows 10 it was so nice and big...
  3. Windows Explorer crash when select "Extra Large Icons" and "Large Icons"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer crash when select "Extra Large Icons" and "Large Icons": I don't know if this already been discussed. But please, everytime i select "Extra Large Icons" and "Large Icons" on view option. Windows Explorer for some reason crash itself. Please, i really frustate now trying to fix this....
  4. Windows Explorer crash when select "Extra Large Icons" and "Large Icons"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer crash when select "Extra Large Icons" and "Large Icons": I don't know if this already been discussed. But please, everytime i select "Extra Large Icons" and "Large Icons" on view option. Windows Explorer for some reason crash itself. Please, i really frustate now trying to fix this....
  5. Windows Explorer crash when select "Extra Large Icons" and "Large Icons"

6. Extra large are not extra large jpegs in windows explorer

Extra large are not extra large jpegs in windows explorer: I am trying to get my jpeg files to appear larger e.g. extra large but there is no difference between large and extra large other than more space between them. I have a fairly new HP Spectre laptop and this is so frustrating for photo work. please help Peg...
  7. Windows Explorer large and extra large icons all missing.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer large and extra large icons all missing.: Hi guys, Got a weird issue with a friends computer. A few weeks ago she said that all the icons disappeared so I jumped on teamviewer to check it out and found that in Windows Explorer, viewing large or extra large icons shows the icons as totally blank (all file types and...
  8. Can't view any icons in large or extra large

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't view any icons in large or extra large: View in medium icons [ATTACH] But view in large icons [ATTACH] Everything else works just fine. It seems like windows 10 won't read any icons in large or extra large....
  9. Thumbnails not showing (Extra Large Icons, Large, Medium....

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnails not showing (Extra Large Icons, Large, Medium....: hey guys, found this (finally) on the net: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2e8ff86?auth=1http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2e8ff86?auth=1 None of the solutions helped, except this one: [img] In reply to Pinaki Mohanty's post on April 6, 2013 I...
  10. Extra large icons too small

in Windows 10 Support
    Extra large icons too small: I'm running Windows 10 64 bit Home edition on a laptop. When I select "extra large icons" in WindowsExplorer the spacing increases but the thumbnail size stays the same as for"large icons". I have tried all the suggested fixes from the net, but nonehas worked. These...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. extra large icons windows 10 not displaying properly