Windows 10: Extract emails and contacts from Windows 10 Mail App

Discus and support Extract emails and contacts from Windows 10 Mail App in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello, I recently discovered that there is no backup or mail export feature in the Windows 10 Mail app. I need this capability so I intend to move... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by KiwiTim, Dec 9, 2016.

1. KiwiTim Win User

Extract emails and contacts from Windows 10 Mail App

Hello,

I recently discovered that there is no backup or mail export feature in the Windows 10 Mail app. I need this capability so I intend to move to another email client (probably Thunderbird). I have two accounts in the W10 mail app, one Gmail and one POP3 account. The Gmail is no problem as a copy of everything remains on the Gmail server, however I cannot work out how to export or extract my mail from the POP3 account in W10 Mail. Is there a third party utility that can extract the emails from W10 Mail? Is there a specific location where the mail is stored so that I might extract it and import it into Thunderbird?

I'm sure many other folks are struggling with this. The Windows 10 Mail app is attractive, but has limited functionality compared to many other email clients, so there must be a lot of people who have tried it and wanted to move to some other email client. There has got to be a solution, but I have done a lot of searching and found little of substance.

:)

KiwiTim, Dec 9, 2016

2. Windows 10 Mail - Contacts List

I have imported my large Contacts list from Windows Live mail into Windows 10. When I am in the Windows 10 Mail App all the contacts appear under the Contacts List, but when I start an email none of the email contacts appear when I start typing in their
    name.

I have to physically go into the Contacts List and Copy/Paste the address into the email address bar.

Does the Windows 10 Mail App not link to the Contacts List - even though it appears to be part of the App?

Bradwell777, Dec 9, 2016
  3. Mike3207 Win User
    Importing email from Windows Live Mail on Windows 7 to new computer with Windows 10

I was using a computer with Windows 7 and used Live Mail. I exported my old email and contact to folders as per instructions I located online. I now have a new computer with Windows 10. I am using the Mail app for my email account. I want to import my old
    emails to my new computer. I read that there is no way to import contacts. Is there an app on Windows 10 to import old email from old machines? Is there a way to import the old emails to the Windows 10 Mail app?

Thanks.

Mike3207, Dec 9, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

For POP3 most ISPs provide an Online/Webmail feature on their site, just log in using the POP3 account [user name and password]. A feature on most is to leave a copy on the Server and settings as to when or if the messages are deleted from the Server.

Berton, Dec 9, 2016
  5. Arjen Win User
    Hello,

First: I would advice using IMAP instead of Pop.
    It does not matter then, which cliënt you use. PC, Phone, Tablet...all are synchronised because it all "stays at your provider".
    Second: if you use Google Contacts you can use them also synchronised (they are stored on your Google account) and you can use them in Windows 10 mail with the help of the Microsoft Persons app (no adress book needed).
    Third: to solve export/import issue...if nothing helps, just forward the msg to your other email adress

Hope this helps (it is a generic solution) but I strongly advice against using POP.
    POP is a one-computer method.
    IMAP is multi (synchronised) So you can use any cliënt (esp. if you connect with one adressbook as Google Contacts).

Greetings,

Arjen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Extract emails and contacts from Windows 10 Mail App - Similar Threads - Extract emails contacts

2. Importing Contacts from Yahoo email to Windows 10 mail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Importing Contacts from Yahoo email to Windows 10 mail: How do you Import Contacts from Yahoo email to Windows 10 mail. I have tried for hours to do it! None of the search engine instructions work!!!...
  3. Not getting the contact names in Windows Mail app while composing Email

Not getting the contact names in Windows Mail app while composing Email: I compose an email in Win 10 mail. I click on the "To". The popup shows "Suggested recipients", not the usual People app list of names .... and I cannot do anything with names in the suggested list, even if I select one. This has to be People app related, right?...
  4. Import contacts into Windows 10 mail app

Import contacts into Windows 10 mail app: I am trying to import my email contact list from Windows Live Mail to the Windows 10 mail app. It says to import contacts to the People app but that doesn't seem to work. I have the file on a SD card in the .csv format...any ideas? Thanks...
  5. Contacts from Windows 10 Mail app not syncing to Hotmail

Contacts from Windows 10 Mail app not syncing to Hotmail: I have my Hotmail account setup in the Mail app. I fi create contacts in the Mail app, they are not syncing back to Hotmail, even though I have it setup to do so. I can go and force a sync but they never show up in Hotmail....
  6. How to email Contact us about Mail App

How to email Contact us about Mail App: I'm having a problem with the Mail App (have a 50/50 chance of successfully sending an email), but the only way I found to talk to someone about it is their weird chat feature. I don't have time for a chat and personally, I am more comfortable sending an email anyway, but...
  7. Searching Mail app only returns unread email or email from contacts

Searching Mail app only returns unread email or email from contacts: Hi, How do I get searches in the mail app to return all results? It seems to only return results from unread emails (confession, I'm rubbish at deleting email so have a lot of those!) or from contacts. Which makes it nearly (or sometimes totally) impossible to find things...
  8. How do I import contacts and emails from Live Mail to Windows 10 Mail app?

How do I import contacts and emails from Live Mail to Windows 10 Mail app?: Just purchased a new laptop with Windows 10. On my old computer I was using Live Mail. I have lots of Contacts and lots of Saved emails in Live Mail. I'm having trouble figuring out how to transfer all of that info from Live Mail to Windows 10 Mail app. How do I...
  9. How to remove contacts from Mail app?

in Browsers and Email
    How to remove contacts from Mail app?: I've synced my contacts with mail, but is only shows a small section of them in contacts. How do I remove unwanted contacts from Mail app? 4390
  10. Cannot delete contacts from Windows 10 Mail App

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot delete contacts from Windows 10 Mail App: Before someone suggests this as an answer, let me just say that I am aware that the Windows 10 Mail app supposedly gets its contacts from the Windows 10 People app. The People app on my computer has the precise contacts in it that it is supposed to. The problem with the Mail...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to extract copntacts from windows 10 mail