Windows 10: Extract Icon from File in Windows

Discus and support Extract Icon from File in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Extract Icon from File in Windows How to Extract Icon from File in Windows You can use the free IconViewer utility program to view and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by WinLatest, Jun 6, 2018.

1. WinLatest New Member

Extract Icon from File in Windows

How to: Extract Icon from File in Windows

How to Extract Icon from File in Windows

You can use the free IconViewer utility program to view and save the icons contained within files, such as executable files and dynamic link libraries (DLLs).

When IconViewer is installed, it will add an Icons tab to the properties page of any file that contain icons.

While you must be signed in as an administrator to install IconViewer, all users will be able to use the Icons tab in the properties page of files that contain icons.

This tutorial will show you how to extract icons from files to save as a ICO, BMP, or PNG file in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

Here's How:

1. If you haven't already, you will need to download and install the 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) version of 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) Windows. (see screenshot below)
    Download

Extract Icon from File in Windows [​IMG]

2. Right click on the file (ex: "imageres.dll") you want to extract (save) an icon from, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

3. Perform the following actions: (see screenshot below)
    1) Click/tap on the Icons tab.

2) Select an available icon you want to extract and save.

3) Select an available pixel size (ex: "256x256") and bit quality (ex: "32-bit") you want for the select icon in Device images.

4) Click/tap on the Save (floppy disk) icon.

4. Perform the following actions: (see screenshots below)
    1) Navigate to where you want to save the icon file.

2) Enter a file name you want for the icon file.

3) Select the Icon (*.ico), Bitmap Image (*.bmp), or PNG image (*.png) file type you want to save the icon file as.

4) Click/tap on the Save button.

5. When you are finished saving icons, click/tap on OK to close the properties page. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

:)

WinLatest, Jun 6, 2018
  2. pyramid10 Win User

Extracting Zip Files

Are the step-by-step processes identical? That is, the folder extracted from and the folder extracted to belong to the same hierarchical file system structure. If they are, that suggests mildly the Cumulative Update left an electron or two out of place.

pyramid10, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Extracting Zip Files

Thanks pyramid10 for your contribution, I ensured that the steps taken and the source and destination folders were the same, in the using zip7 as suggested by BunnyJ resolved all issues for me.
    I am the first to admit that I am a long long way from understanding the intricacies of computers and if truth be told I am now to old anyway to absorb much information.
    Cheers.

croydonian, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Extract Icon from File in Windows

Custom File Icons?

I've got a program that creates various file types; some of these are associated with the program and display its icon. Is it possible to keep the file association, but change the icons for some of the associated types so they stand out in a listing?

If so, then ideally I'd like to extract the icon from the exe, make three slightly different versions, and make these display (at all scales) for the three main file types. Any suggestions for tools to do this? I have Photoshop CS5.

nigelmercier, Oct 27, 2019
  5. XPEHOPE3 Win User
    Two bugs in GPU-Z - icon and version number

I ran into the very same issue with the latest GPU-Z version at Win 10 x64 - I rename the desktop shortcut and after some time I see blank icon for it, and reinstall-rename solution also won't survive restart. The solution I came up with was to extract the icon from GPU-Z and use it instead. This is yet to disappear after multiple restarts.

XPEHOPE3, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Windows vista x64 computer icon always changing

what icons are you referring to?
    In the Windows Explorer list or desktop?

twicksisted, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Extract Icon from File in Windows

1. Extract Icon from File in Windows - Similar Threads - Extract Icon File

2. Unable to extract files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to extract files: Trying to extract files from my phone however it didn't detect at all. Please help me since the files are all in my phone storage. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-extract-files/f2d52976-9abe-4fa7-96e3-0a7bb2367e49
  3. Unable to extract files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to extract files: Trying to extract files from my phone however it didn't detect at all. Please help me since the files are all in my phone storage. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-extract-files/f2d52976-9abe-4fa7-96e3-0a7bb2367e49
  4. Files not extracting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files not extracting: Error Code: 0x800040005 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-not-extracting/4be6ed7b-556a-4add-824e-84f029ae2d33
  5. Extracting files from a BIN file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extracting files from a BIN file: I am using a USB thumb drive to update a Samsung soundbar. The Samsung download is a zip file. I have to extract that and copy to the thumb drive. I can extract the zip file which becomes a BIN file. That is still a compressed file and the soundbar won't read that. How do I...
  6. Is it easy to extract files from a Windows 10 backup?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Is it easy to extract files from a Windows 10 backup?: I'm using a Windows 10 backup onto an exFAT formatted disk. Sometime in the future I may want to transfer my files to a Mac. Is it easy to extract the files out of the backup directories that Windows creates, or would I just have to make a regular copy of my files when the...
  7. how to uninstall files extracted from an archive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to uninstall files extracted from an archive: Can anybody help me out with this thing please? I recently installed an application by extracting the .exe file from WinRAR to a folder, but now I need to uninstall it, the application also doesn't appear on the Control Panel Uninstall an application list. Thank you...
  8. FILE EXTRACTION

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    FILE EXTRACTION: I need to download a program to be able to extract files zip. what Free and Safe program can I download for my windows 10 computer? Thank you for your help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-extraction/bc31b4f1-8d6b-409b-aa6e-d4614eb20fc9
  9. Attempting to extract individual files from Windowsimagebackup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Attempting to extract individual files from Windowsimagebackup: if you're gonna recommend me restore in other ways like the entire image, I can spend a half hour explaining the circumstances that ultimately have lead me here. Extract Individual Files From a Windows® 7 System Image Backup - YouTube THIS VIDEO BASICALLY WAS SUPPOSED TO BE...
  10. How to extract emails from notepad file ?

in Browsers and Email
    How to extract emails from notepad file ?: Hey guys, I have a notepad file which includes my customers records including email and skype id and some other information. But now I want to extract all of my customers email id only. There is @ mention on every email. Emails are different like from yahoo, live,...