Windows 10: Extract qualifying windows 7 product key after W10 clean install

Discus and support Extract qualifying windows 7 product key after W10 clean install in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; First I apologize for asking something I am sure has been asked many times, but cant find a definitive answer. Is there a way to Extract the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by reddwarf4ever, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Extract qualifying windows 7 product key after W10 clean install

First I apologize for asking something I am sure has been asked many times, but cant find a definitive answer.

Is there a way to Extract the qualifying windows 7 product key after W10 clean install ?

I did a clean install of W10 after a free W10 upgrade installed and activated. But the activation failed and a MS support person asked me for the original W7 qualifying key......I look after many computers and for some reason cant find which key was used for this PC.....So hope there is a way to find it....

I have now restored a backup and W10 is again activated.....so is this key stored anywhere ?

Many thanks

:)

reddwarf4ever, Sep 21, 2016
  2. Martmcd Win User

I Want toActivate my windows 10 pro but my product key has blocked

Did you upgrade from a qualifying product? which OS did you upgrade from?

did you perform a clean install rather than run the setup from within
    the qualifying product?

You must upgrade from a qualifying product before considering a clean install

what key are you trying to use? (do not post the key).

windows 7 or 8 keys do not work to activate windows 10. Yet!

Martmcd, Sep 21, 2016
  3. Windows 10 install from usb stick ?

There's no need to buy Windows 10 as you qualify for free Windows 10 Professional Upgrade with the Windows 7 Product key, and don't even need to install Windows 7 first.

Just do a
    Clean Install Windows 10 Upgrade
    and follow the steps in the Wiki for activating after install using the Windows 7 Product Key.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 21, 2016
  4. Extract qualifying windows 7 product key after W10 clean install

Try this, https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html It will find the key if you originally upgraded from Windows 7, assuming that's what the backup was. On a clean install its not recoverable. Windows 7 keys are not stored in the BIOS like with Windows 8 and 10. If the key you retrieve is an OEM-SLP key it won't work for activating Windows 10. You need the OEM-COA key from the COA sticker if entering manually on a clean install. Did you install the exact same version you got via the free upgrade? If you did it should have activated with Digital License it got via the free upgrade. Miss match the edition though and it won't activate. Installing 10 Home Single language when it was 10 Home, or vice versa, will cause activation to fail. To install 10 Home, you want the ISO simply labeled Windows 10 from the Media Creation Tool. It's multi edition and can install Home or Pro. A common mistake is downloading the Home SL ISO when you want 10 Home.

alphanumeric, Sep 21, 2016
  5. Thanks, yes I did install the PRO version, but should have installed home, so,that was the issue.Also,Imhave performed a clean install so .... It's just when the MS rep said I should always keep the original W7 key safe just in case, it worried me....had thought the qualifying key would be encoded somewhere, but maybe not....
    thanks for the help

PS If for some reason I have trouble activating in the future can I buy a COA licence ' sticker' and use that

reddwarf4ever, Sep 21, 2016
  6. Superfly Win User
    The Windows 7 key is not stored on Windows 10, as it is only used to activate once-off - an upgrade will retain the original key however, for roll-back purposes.

Once digitally activated, it is no longer required for that PC

COA keys can only be used legally with the PC it was purchased with.

System builder OEM keys, however, also have a sticker. Those packages can be purchased self-standing.

Superfly, Sep 22, 2016
  7. As Superfly mentioned, once you have a Digital Entitlement for that PC you don't need the key. If you go to Settings > Updates & security > Activation, and it shows activated with a digital license, no key is required to reinstall.
    If it says Product code and lists the last 5, keep track of that code for next time.
    As far as I know, that original 7 key, is not recorded on the activation server when you do the free upgrade. From what I've seen anyway. Then telling you to keep track of it kind of backs that up.
    On that same screen I mentioned above is a Update product key option. You can at any time enter a valid key there to activate. You can also upgrade from Home to Pro, to Education, to Enterprise by entering the relevant key. You can't go down though, from Pro to Home. You'll need to start over to get back to Home. The key entered has to be a valid legal key. Enter a blacklisted key and activation will fail.

alphanumeric, Sep 22, 2016
  8. Extract qualifying windows 7 product key after W10 clean install

Hello, thanks again....I thought that the qualifying Windows 7 key was logged by MS to prevent its reuse, if not, then there is nothing to stop that product key being raised.
    on another note, I have Windows 10 free upgraded from Windows 7 home, if I now buy a genuine Windows 7 pro can I use this key to,upgrade my Windows 10 home to pro.....
    thanks

reddwarf4ever, Sep 22, 2016
  9. Microsoft doesn't give any detailed info on how activation works, for obvious reasons. Going by what I have seen and read, no I don't think they log the key. They just check to see if the system is legally activated, and what version of Windows is installed.

In theory, yes, if its a Retail key you can most likely reuse it on another PC. Legally, I'm thinking that's a violation of the terms of the free upgrade though. Some may call it an abuse of the offer.

The free upgrade offer has officially ended by the way. There is no guarantee if you upgrade now, from Windows 7 or 8, on a system that has never been activated with Windows 10 in the past, that it will activate. Or try to upgrade to Pro with a Windows 7 or 8 key. The current Windows 10 install media will read and use those keys for install. Activation happens after the install is finished. At some point Microsoft is going to stop issuing new Digital Activations with those keys, and limit it to just Windows 10 keys. Why they haven't done it already, I have no idea? They may have actually done it, I haven't tried to do a new free upgrade lately.

alphanumeric, Sep 22, 2016
  10. Thank you
    very interesting....

reddwarf4ever, Sep 22, 2016
  11. Unofficially, Digital Licenses were still being given out after the cutoff date. Microsoft wouldn't say why though? They didn't turn it off for what ever reason. At some point, if they haven't already, I expect them to stop giving out free upgrades. If you have more planed, I wouldn't wait to long to do them.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Extract qualifying windows 7 product key after W10 clean install

1. Extract qualifying windows 7 product key after W10 clean install - Similar Threads - Extract qualifying product

2. Windows 7 Product Key cannot be activated after re-installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 Product Key cannot be activated after re-installation: My MacBook Pro was down and I replaced the hard disk. I completed the re-installation of the Windows 7 Home Premium OEM version and the Bootcamp, only the Windows system was installed. Every thing is fine. However, I cannot activate the Windows using the Product Key. It...
  3. Windows 7 Product Key cannot be activated after re-installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 Product Key cannot be activated after re-installation: My MacBook Pro was down and I replaced the hard disk. I completed the re-installation of the Windows 7 Home Premium OEM version and the Bootcamp, only the Windows system was installed. Every thing is fine. However, I cannot activate the Windows using the Product Key. It...
  4. FN Keys not work properly after clean W10 Install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    FN Keys not work properly after clean W10 Install: So months ago I bought a Lenovo ideapad 330, now it became ultra slow so I decided to make a clean Windows 10 install... I was about to finish but I couldn't get the fn keys work properly and trackpad gestures to work, Lenovo bridge tool didnt work, I tried to update the...
  5. Extracting product key for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Extracting product key for Windows 10: To Whom.. (mY DEVICE - {acer} Aspire A315-21: HOW/WHERE CAN i FIND MY Product Key ?? I *Think* my PC is just over 12months old (????) and bought brand new as WINDOWS10 (Home) ? ***Original title: Acer Aspire A315-21 running Windows 10 Home: HOW/WHERE CAN i FIND MY...
  6. Clean install after upgrading to W10?

Clean install after upgrading to W10?: It appears that I have to upgrade install w10 to get the free W10. After that, is it possible to clean install the W10 in place of the W10 install upgraded from W7 or W8.1? 9204
  7. Windows 10 product key not working after clean install

Windows 10 product key not working after clean install: I installed windows 10 on top of Windows 7, but then did a clean install afterwards from an image on a USB drive. I wrote down the product key from the first install after scraping it with a program. The clean install of 10 went fine, but it will not accept this product...
  8. Which product key is needed for clean install of windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Which product key is needed for clean install of windows: Hello, I'm in the process of backing up data and product keys for a fresh install of Windows. Upon digging on google for how to find your windows product key, I found several ways to find it. My HP has a COA sticker with a Windows 7 product key. I also used Produkey, which...
  9. Need Windows 8.1 product key after clean install Windows 10

Need Windows 8.1 product key after clean install Windows 10: I have a Lenovo S21E-20. I purchased machine new, it came with 8.1 loaded and as soon as it was turned on it said "free upgrade to Windows 10 available". Due to small SSD memory, could not simply upgrade from installed to Windows 10. I used a clean install using a USB. After...
  10. Product Key on Clean Install

Product Key on Clean Install: After I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, I did a clean install. Seems like everything is fine, except I had to enter the Product Key to finish the installation. The clean install is activated. I understood from what I have been reading here that once I did the free...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. extract w8 product key from w10