Windows 10: Extremely HIGH CPU Usage (SVCHost)

Discus and support Extremely HIGH CPU Usage (SVCHost) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; So, basically I upgraded to Windows 10, and it's been a huge nightmare. To start with, I didn't enjoy the experience and tried to downgrade, but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Altyran, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Altyran Win User

Extremely HIGH CPU Usage (SVCHost)

So, basically I upgraded to Windows 10, and it's been a huge nightmare.

To start with, I didn't enjoy the experience and tried to downgrade, but I was informed the backup was corrupted (it was using a different file structure or something) and was incompatible. So... no backup even though I could clearly SEE the backup.

An external backup did not work either, for some reason, still giving an issue with file structure and formatting (particularly "Windows can not be installed onto X file structure, reformat to NTFS" which I'd done five times, reformatting both full and quick, so who knows)

Now that I've accepted that I'm going to be dealing with this operating system now, I have some actual issues to work through. Number one being that, for whatever reason, if I'm running Chrome (or another browser), the computer slows to a halt.

Extremely HIGH CPU Usage (SVCHost) [​IMG]

Service Host: DCOM usually takes 15-50(!)% CPU with any kind of active internet running. This is just silly. I currently have 9 tabs open, (mostly text pages, not graphics pages), and am running around 20% CPU from Service Host: DCOM Server Process Launcher. It would be great if under that header, it explained WHAT was using so much CPU, but it doesn't (and drop down menus across the task manager don't show this anyway).

This does however, seemingly, cause Cortana (for example) to take 5-15 seconds to open up (when service host was at 55% it took cortana 5.5 minutes to open.), and the start menu will also take a while to open.

I have reinstalled chrome, cleared settings, uninstalled ALL extensions/addons. It still does this. It doesn't do it at startup, but after 20-50 minutes, it'll start getting uppity with me.

So... what the heck do I do to fix this? I refuse to continue using a computer that, over the course of an hour or two will require a restart to not be mind-boggingly slow. I built the computer myself, ran windows 7 for 3 years with almost no issues, and none like this. Obviously since I built it myself I can't just mail it back to dell/microsoft/etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

:)

Altyran, Sep 12, 2015

2. Windows 10 Pro - Unistack / Unistore - High Data / CPU Usage

Got the following Problem with my Surface 3 Pro:

Very high writing / reading and cpu usage of the "Unistack service group". Like the following file which is accessed by svchost

svchost.exe 1128 C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Comms\UnistoreDB\store.vol

Ending the processes result in short time with no cpu and data usage at all and then it is restarted and again very high data / cpu usage

Saarlaender, Sep 12, 2015
  3. SarahKong Win User
    My CPU usage reaches 98% when I don't move my cursor for few minutes

Looks like it might be the svchost process.

This is not uncommon.

Below is a link on steps to fix this issue.

Let me know how you make out.

https://www.wintips.org/how-to-fix-svchost-exe-...

SarahKong, Sep 12, 2015
  4. Altyran Win User

Altyran, Sep 12, 2015
  5. TairikuOkami, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Extremely HIGH CPU Usage (SVCHost) - Similar Threads - Extremely HIGH CPU

2. svchost high memory and cpu usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    svchost high memory and cpu usage: SVCHOST ha made my gaming pretty bad, im running on Asus laptop with a gtx 1070 and i7 8750H.Heres where the problem comes my fps is very high on almost all games but my fps drops to 20-40 in every minute or so, in windows it ranged to 5-20 fps but the fps goes from 144 to 1...
  3. svchost high memory and cpu usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    svchost high memory and cpu usage: SVCHOST ha made my gaming pretty bad, im running on Asus laptop with a gtx 1070 and i7 8750H.Heres where the problem comes my fps is very high on almost all games but my fps drops to 20-40 in every minute or so, in windows it ranged to 5-20 fps but the fps goes from 144 to 1...
  4. Extremely high RAM usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Extremely high RAM usage: How does Windows take 5GB out 8GB of RAM on idle? I've disabled runtime broker and many other ram intensive programs and it's still that high. I don't have any game launcher or anything. ‍♂️I'm honestly so confused. ‍♂️ submitted by /u/ProGamer1151 [link] [comments]...
  5. Extremely High CPU Usage - Multiple system processes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Extremely High CPU Usage - Multiple system processes: My Windows Version: Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.592) About 2 weeks ago, I opened a thread on these forums regarding High CPU Usage due to the Service Host: DNS Client system process. To summarize, I was getting up to 100% CPU Usage due to this process and couldn't figure...
  6. Extremely High CPU Usage - Service Host: DNS Client

in Windows 10 Support
    Extremely High CPU Usage - Service Host: DNS Client: My Windows Version: Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.535) From time to time this process (in the title) will suddenly rise CPU usage, making everything extremely slow and even games from 1994 will play slowly, for example. Sometimes it subsides by itself, but sometimes I need to...
  7. svchost high usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    svchost high usage: I have a HP-omen 17. Recently I have been observing high cpu usage under the name of one/two unnamed process related to svchost.exe. The problem started recently with sudden high usage of cpu during pc start up. These process have to be terminated each time individually. The...
  8. Extremly slow/high usage of CPU/Mem/Bandwidth

Extremly slow/high usage of CPU/Mem/Bandwidth: Suddenly, well last week or so like on here I just switching from "New Posts" to "Forum" and on other sites in general the loading of anything new takes soooo long. The little wheel in the tab on Google Chrome that is open that I'm currently using churns and churns for...
  9. svchost CPU usage at 55%

svchost CPU usage at 55%: not sure since when and how ( must have been recently ), but my windows 10 got probably infected, whenever i start pc, my cpu usage jumps to 55% ±. After I open task manager, i can see this ( attachment ) : the PID of "faulty" service is always different and if I stop the...
  10. Extremely high constant CPU usage

Extremely high constant CPU usage: So up until this morning my Windows 10 desktop has been performing really well. When the machine is idle the CPU use is only in the 1-3% range. For some reason my idle CPU use is now CONSTANTLY 30-40% (even after a reboot)! Task manager says its "Service Host: Local System...