Windows 10: Extremely laggy control panel, unresponsive Start/search. Help?

Discus and support Extremely laggy control panel, unresponsive Start/search. Help? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello TenForums, I've recently upgraded to Windows 10, and for the most part love the experience (came from Win7, mostly for the new UI). However,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Andriy Etch, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Extremely laggy control panel, unresponsive Start/search. Help?

Hello TenForums,

I've recently upgraded to Windows 10, and for the most part love the experience (came from Win7, mostly for the new UI). However, I've been having some issues, specifically with Control Panel and the Start menu search (occasionally with File Explorer as well). When I open them, very rarely do they open immediately - there can be a 2-15 second delay when opening them, as well as when navigating through the menus (this primarily only affects Control Panel). I never had such issues when using Windows 7. And I have quite a powerful computer, so I don't think it's a problem there (specs below). All other programs are as zippy and fast as normal.

Has anybody else had this issue? I thought maybe this is something that would resolve itself over time with Windows updates, but its been over a month and a half since the official public release, and I'm still experiencing the issue... I'm pretty sure I have all my correct drivers and everything installed as well...

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k @ 3.5GHz
    RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    GPU: GeForce GTX 780
    Storage medium: SSD RAID
    Windows 10 Pro

:)

Andriy Etch, Sep 11, 2015

2. Control Panel applets extremely slow to start (over 10 min. "working")

Sorry, but Windows 10 has NO SUCH OPTION.

Hula_Baloo, Sep 11, 2015
  3. Romel Ram Win User
    Control Panel applets extremely slow to start (over 10 min. "working")

Test the issue while the PC is in safe mode. If the issue still persists, try to perform
    a clean boot using the steps here.

Let us know if we can assist further.

Regards.

Romel Ram, Sep 11, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Extremely laggy control panel, unresponsive Start/search. Help?

topgundcp, Sep 11, 2015
  5. Thanks for the prompt response! Doing this did make the right click menu on desktop instantly pop up instead of taking a few seconds (something I didn't even notice actually because I rarely use that), and the Start menu and search seem to be a lot more responsive. However, there is still a 2-4 second delay with opening Control Panel unfortunately (it is faster though than before). I don't know, maybe it just seems slow relative to other programs.

Also in reference to the extension disabling, if I found whichever one was slowing down the Start menu/desktop right click, what would I do? Just keep it disabled forever? Would that reduce functionality of the program, or would it not be noticeable? Thank you!

Andriy Etch, Sep 11, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    No, it does not affect the functionality of the program. It is faster to run the program by right click on the item. However, you can run the program from start menu/control panel. Personally, I removed quite a few extensions which I don't need or rarely use. For example, NVIDIA Control Panel. I seldom adjust anything from it and if needed I can open it from the Control Panel.

PS. Yes, Your PC is quite powerful and If I were you, I would save my personal data to an external HD and do a fresh install of Windows 10. It should eliminate lots of unpredictable problems which carried over from Windows 7 and the size of Windows 10 would be quite a bit smaller.

topgundcp, Sep 11, 2015
  7. I was planning on doing just that *Smile Thank you for your help with extensions!

Andriy Etch, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Extremely laggy control panel, unresponsive Start/search. Help?

1. Extremely laggy control panel, unresponsive Start/search. Help? - Similar Threads - Extremely laggy control

2. Cannot start the device manager using search or control panel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot start the device manager using search or control panel: Unaccountably, the device manager fails to start up when entering "device manager" in the search box or simply bring up control panel and selecting "device manager"I created a new user and after logging into that account I can run the "Device Manager" just fine.sfc/scan now...
  3. Cannot start the device manager using search or control panel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot start the device manager using search or control panel: Unaccountably, the device manager fails to start up when entering "device manager" in the search box or simply bring up control panel and selecting "device manager"I created a new user and after logging into that account I can run the "Device Manager" just fine.sfc/scan now...
  4. Cannot start the device manager using search or control panel

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Laggy and unresponsive Start Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laggy and unresponsive Start Menu: [ATTACH] Hey all. Over the past few days I've realized that my start menu isn't acting at all how it's suppose to be. Unresponsive Start Menu and flickering Taskbar I'm not sure what has caused this... I use TranslucentTaskbar but closing the program still yields the...
  6. Laggy and unresponsive touchpad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laggy and unresponsive touchpad: Essentially at random times the cursor will start lagging on its own even if i don't do anything. I believe it's a driver or software issue as the first few minutes the touchpad works fine so it's not the touchpad itself does anyone know a way to fix it?...
  7. Laggy and unresponsive touchpad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laggy and unresponsive touchpad: Essentially at random times the cursor will start lagging on its own even if i don't do anything. I believe it's a driver or software issue as the first few minutes the touchpad works fine so it's not the touchpad itself does anyone know a way to fix it?...
  8. Extremely laggy brightness control (except built in windows slider)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Extremely laggy brightness control (except built in windows slider): Hi all, I got an Acer Nitro 5 recently and the brightness control is *extremely* laggy when using the keys or a third party software brightness slider (I have it to control my external monitor but it also works for internal). It takes over 10 seconds to get from max to min...
  9. Lock Screen Is Laggy and Unresponsive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lock Screen Is Laggy and Unresponsive: My lock screen is laggy and only wallpaper of lock screen is shown for many minutes. Then after some minutes, it responds. But it takes a lot of time! Sometimes it doesn't respond, the only option left with me then is to remove the battery and start it again! But I can't...
  10. Control Panel Search Bar

in Cortana
    Control Panel Search Bar: When i type the first character in the control panel's search bar it does not show the result of the programs that started with that character unless i press enter which is really annoying.In past i was typing one letter and windows was giving results without me pressing...