Windows 10: Extremely Laggy Login, Desktop Environment Loading

Discus and support Extremely Laggy Login, Desktop Environment Loading in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Less than a month ago, I purchased a new HP Spectre x360 laptop, which was functioning just fine until very recently. A few days ago the device... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Another, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Another Win User

Extremely Laggy Login, Desktop Environment Loading

Less than a month ago, I purchased a new HP Spectre x360 laptop, which was functioning just fine until very recently. A few days ago the device arbitrarily started taking extremely long times to get off the login screen(about thirty to forty seconds, compared to the usual one to three seconds), and after leaving the login, I'm greeted to a black screen, with only control of the cursor. No taskbar, no start menu, no desktop background or shortcuts, just a blank screen. This stays a constant for fifteen to twenty minutes, before it just loads in completely without issue.

I can CTRL-ALT-DEL into task manager, and from there some essential diagnostic programs are capable of being run, like the system log and the device manager, but other programs, like file explorer, won't launch until the desktop environment gets around to loading in. It seems like the problem is that something in the login is hanging, and keeping the rest of the process from moving on.

I looked into the system log, and found that my problems started directly after Windows installed an update while I had the computer in sleep mode(KB4038788). According to the logs, every login after the update has had problems interacting with the kernel:

This is the initial warnings I received from the reboot. The warnings I get for each subsequent login since has been slightly different from the initial one:

There's also some relevant info logs before each Kernel-PnP warning:

I've uploaded relevant user logs here, if anyone is interested in digging through it to see if there's other information I'm missing(there's some error messages in there as well, but I don't _think_ they're related, and don't seem to be causing any sort of issues I can observe.).

WUDFPf seems to be a driver related to Intel's Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework(DPTF) system, which, from what I can gather, is installed on thin laptops with potentially poor air circulation to throttle the processor for the purpose of avoiding overheating and extending the battery life. My current theory is that the Windows update caused something to go wrong with how the DPTF is structured in the driver directory, and when the system initiates login, it waits for the DPTF to respond, but it doesn't, because it can't find whatever device it's looking for. After about 15 mins, it seems to give up and just boot in the desktop environment anyway(or it's finding whatever it's looking for? I haven't found anything in the logs that supports this, but I'm not ruling anything out because I barely know what I'm doing here).

I tried updating the DPTF drivers, which didn't help. I tried uninstalling the drivers, which also didn't help, since it reinstalls on boot. The BIOS doesn't have any way to disable the function, like certain Lenovo laptops seem to. Deleting the update that the issues seemed to stem from doesn't help either.

There's very little documentation for this issue anywhere on the internet I could find. Most of my theory comes from this thread from this very forum, but the issue is sadly unsolved. I could find very little info about whatever vid_8087&PID_0AC2/3 does, the only thread I found on an intel forum just had customer service reps saying they couldn't figure out what it is beyond that it was related to DPTF.

I can't figure out where to go from here. Is my OS salvageable, or is it going to be easier to just wipe everything and revert to a factory reset? How would I go about further diagnosing the problem? Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you can give me, if you have any kind of idea what the problem is or what I should do. I'm at my wits end here. Sorry for the incredibly long post!

:)

Another, Sep 17, 2017
  2. eyebyte Win User

Why does a person need to login to thier live account to use catana?

Why does a person need to login to thier live account to use catana?

Also while in this mode the internet is extremely laggy.

Even this IE11 is laggy on win7, especially in the outlook email program.

There is one good thing about win10 is that the startup is locked by the operating system, no bugs.

James

eyebyte, Sep 17, 2017
  3. MattViel Win User
    Lumia 950 keeps crashing

P.s. This text box is extremely laggy again.

MattViel, Sep 17, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

The log was able to be opened but just had characters.
    1) Please use this log collector from our bsod forum which will collect msinfo32, dxdiag, event.vwr, etc.
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

2) Please update the system specs:
    How To Fill Out Your System Specs
    How To Fill Out Your System Specs
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

3) Place the computer into clean boot using administraivie command prompt:

4) msconfig (in the pop up system configuration > move the dot from normal startup to selective startup > uncheck load startup items > click service tab > in left lower corner check hide all Microsoft services > in the lower right side click disable all > click apply or ok > do not reboot)

5) taskmgr (in the pop up task manager > click on the start up tab > click on status so that the column sorts with enable rising to the top > right click on each row with enable and change to disable)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...oot-in-windows
    How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

6) shutdown /r (you will reboot the computer so that it is in clean boot)

7) Evaluate the performance on your computer in clean boot during typical use.
    Are the boots faster or slower?
    Are the shutdowns faster or slower?
    How has the audio and video performance changed?
    Continue using clean boot indefinitely to monitor performance.

zbook, Sep 17, 2017
  5. Exact same problem here, with the exact same model (HP Spectre 360). The issue began after I'd updated to Windows 10 version 1703 (10.0.15063.608), which was released on September 12. I found that running the Windows Update troubleshooter would boot my desktop interface/start menu immediately after running it, instead of having to wait the ~10 minutes for the system to boot up on its own. The troubleshooter would show that Windows update files had been corrupt. But as of today, the 18th of September, this solution no longer works. The troubleshooter no longer recognizes the same "corruption" that it did before, so I'm forced to wait the 10 minutes or so for my laptop to be fully functional.

The problem could be easily averted if Microsoft got off their high horse and allowed auto-updates to be disabled.

UniStudent, Sep 17, 2017
  6. bertstech Win User
    I have 5FPS on the login screen animation and my keyboard inputs lagg behind a few hundred milliseconds, but my Mouse runs smooth. This is since the last bigger update i think from the 16th to the 17th.
    A am running on a desktop with a Ryzen 1700x. So the issue might not be isolated to weaker machines.

bertstech, Sep 17, 2017
  7. Another Win User
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. It's good to know I'm not the only person having this issue. That definitely helps with where I should be looking to find solutions, and also means that hopefully it's an issue windows or HP will pick up on and fix, assuming it is their faults. At least, that's what I tell myself to get to sleep at night.

Ahh, thanks, I didn't realize this tool existed. Hadn't thought to check the BSOD section. I've attached the log here: DESKTOP-EI751HF-Sun_09_17_2017_235316_86.zip

Done. I filled out everything I thought would be necessary to the problem, but if there were any special guidelines or something in those links, I wouldn't know, because the site won't let me access the pages they link to.

Thanks again for your continued help with this, I really appreciate it. Clean boot did not seem to make any significant difference to startup or login. I'll keep it configured to do clean boots for now on while I continue to diagnose the problem.

Another, Sep 18, 2017
  8. bertstech Win User

LS-33-19_09_2017_130445,55.zip

I temporarily fixed my problem by turning off window animations. I found threads about the same issues from 2015.

bertstech, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Extremely Laggy Login, Desktop Environment Loading - Similar Threads - Extremely Laggy Login

2. Minecraft Bedrock Edition Is Extremely Laggy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft Bedrock Edition Is Extremely Laggy: Hello everyone, I have this problem where Minecraft Bedrock Edition all of a sudden started lagging a lot regarding frames. This is very weird because I played this edition for so long before and it was absolutely fluid. I've done some digging and I noticed that as soon as I...
  3. Minecraft Bedrock Edition Is Extremely Laggy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Minecraft Bedrock Edition Is Extremely Laggy: Hello everyone, I have this problem where Minecraft Bedrock Edition all of a sudden started lagging a lot regarding frames. This is very weird because I played this edition for so long before and it was absolutely fluid. I've done some digging and I noticed that as soon as I...
  4. Laptop gets extremely laggy randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop gets extremely laggy randomly: Hi,My laptop which is running windows 10 will randomly get extremely laggy and will only go away after about 30 seconds of waiting or by unplugging and replugging in the power cord. This tends to happen when I'm gaming, but has happened with all kinds of apps. When I'm gaming...
  5. Laptop gets extremely laggy randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop gets extremely laggy randomly: Hi,My laptop which is running windows 10 will randomly get extremely laggy and will only go away after about 30 seconds of waiting or by unplugging and replugging in the power cord. This tends to happen when I'm gaming, but has happened with all kinds of apps. When I'm gaming...
  6. Windows 11 is extremely laggy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 is extremely laggy: I've been using windows 10 since 2017. My pc used to run quite fast then but suddenly windows 10 became slow and laggy over time. I tried hard reset 2 times but still the slow speed would return in a week after resetting it. Then I tried installing windows 11 on my pc and...
  7. Windows 11 is extremely laggy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 is extremely laggy: I've been using windows 10 since 2017. My pc used to run quite fast then but suddenly windows 10 became slow and laggy over time. I tried hard reset 2 times but still the slow speed would return in a week after resetting it. Then I tried installing windows 11 on my pc and...
  8. Desktop laggy

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop laggy: Hello, I upgraded my PC a few days ago. New motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM ... actually you can say everything. What I did not do was reinstalling Windows. The problem is, I don't know if this problem started to occur before the change, so I have hope it's not related to not...
  9. Games & Windows Extremely Laggy/Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Games & Windows Extremely Laggy/Not Working: So pretty much here's the story I took down my PC in mid October 2019 to focus on school, sports, and other ****. Since Corona has taken over the world and my boredom, I decided to put it back up. First, I opened everything up and cleaned out most of the dust, then...
  10. Desktop extremely laggy when copying files on workstation-grade PC

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Desktop extremely laggy when copying files on workstation-grade PC: Hi there, I'm on a very powerful machine with Win 10 Pro Ryzen 7 1800x 32GB DDR4 2666Mhz RTX 2080 (Main Display UHD) + GTX 1080 (Second Display HD) C:\ 1TB Sandisk Ultra SSD (>30% free) D:\-G:\ HDDs Pro Audio Soundcard (RME) and lots of USB 3 - attached hardware...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. vid_8087&pid_0ac3/6&1004d60e&0&0000