Windows 10: Extremely long and incomplete boot

Discus and support Extremely long and incomplete boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings. My PC was working fine until yesterday. Today upon boot, it hung on the login screen (no password required) for about 25 seconds, displaying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wallen, Jan 11, 2017.

1. wallen Win User

Extremely long and incomplete boot

Greetings. My PC was working fine until yesterday. Today upon boot, it hung on the login screen (no password required) for about 25 seconds, displaying "preparing windows." When the desktop appeared, it was incomplete, as was the start menu. My sense is that programs that run for "all users" started, but nothing from my own user account. After about 10 minutes, the programs that are in my "startup" folder finally started, although much is still missing from the start menu. Overall, the machine does seem to be working once the desktop appears.

Booting into safe mode gives similar results. I tried to restore to the last restore point of a few days ago, but Windows said the restore failed, and nothing would be changed. I ran the repair tool from the installation disk, but it reported that it couldn't repair the problem and offered to reinstall Windows.

I'm hoping someone can help me solve this, otherwise, I foresee a complete reinstallation of Windows. Thank you.

:)

wallen, Jan 11, 2017

2. KB4025342 causing extremely long boot time

Answer-by-number:

1. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

2. Did the computer come with Win10 preinstalled, did you do a clean install of Win10, or did you upgrade a Win7 computer or a Win8.1 computer [<=PICK ONE!] to Win10?

3. Who manufactured the computer (e.g., Dell; HP; Acer; Lenovo; ASUS)?

4. Has a Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

5. Have you ever run the Norton Removal Tool and/or the
    McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
    ?

6. What Version & OS Build of Windows 10 is currently installed?

• Press & hold the Windows Key and press the R
      key. In the RUN dialog, type WINVER and press the Enter key.
    7. Was Creators Update offered and installed via Windows Update or did you choose to install it manually?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Jan 11, 2017
  3. Casey-boy Win User
    KB4025342 causing extremely long boot time

Hi,

Installed update KB4025342 automatically through Windows Update on July 12. Noticed extremely long boot up times of the order of 10 mins for a laptop that normally gets to desktop in under 1 min. Repeatedly happened over several shut downs and boot ups.

So I uninstalled the update and PC is back to normal. Again, have done several shut downs and boot ups.

Seems like this KB4025342 is the culprit. Wonder if anyone knows how to report this and what I should do now? Wait for different cumulative update or try installing again?

Thanks.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Casey-boy, Jan 11, 2017
  4. Extremely long and incomplete boot

Welcome to the TenForums.

First I would back up all data to a drive independent of OS drive. Better safe than sorry.

I would then recommend that you run chkdsk and repair any errors. From command Prompt(admin) chkdsk c: /r

I would also look at CrystalDiskInfo from CrystalMark as a quick assessment of disk health.

Download Center - Crystal Dew World

Should you need to re-install you will want to know you are on sound foundation.

Caledon Ken, Jan 11, 2017
  5. Steve C Win User
    You should only see "Preparing Windows" after logging on for the first time after a major update - have you done that? These issues are often due to a corrupted profile. Can you log on to other accounts without problems?

Steve C, Jan 12, 2017
  6. wallen Win User
    Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't had time to run checkdisk yet, but I will this weekend. All of my data is fully backed up.

I have not done any sort of "major update" recently. (I started building this machine about a month ago.) The most recent change I made was to install my printer driver/software the day before these troubles started.

I turned "verbose status" on a couple weeks ago I was when analyzing a slow shut-down problem, so it is not unusual for me to see "preparing windows" for a very brief moment during each boot. Obviously, its duration is now quite excessive.

I tried to log in under the Administrator account that Windows sets up during installation. It also displayed "preparing windows" for about 25 seconds, but then the screen went black. The only thing that seemed to work after that point was ctl-alt-del. I am going to see if I can create a new user account this weekend.

wallen, Jan 12, 2017
  7. If you can pinpoint day this started a system restore may very well be the way to go.

I would also recommend Macrium Reflect. It is free and more importantly it provides a reliable way to restore a system Image. You can keep versions as a back up to the back up.

While you may not have installed anything, MS is always helping. Have a look at installed updates. Are any of them drivers? If so evaluate it and consider rolling back. You can disable driver updates as well, something worth trying.

Caledon Ken, Jan 12, 2017
  8. wallen Win User

Caledon Ken... Thanks for the new ideas.

I know exactly when the problem began. I immediately tried to use system restore with a restore point from a couple of days prior, but Windows reported that the restore operation failed, and that nothing was changed. I tried an even earlier restore point, and got the same message.

I uninstalled the most recently installed programs (my printer software, and a couple of development tools I use for work), but that had no effect.

I booted into safe mode, but the system still misbehaved in the same way.

About a week before this started, Windows was driving me crazy with updates, so I turned them off by setting my Ethernet connection to metered. I also implemented a couple of other techniques to minimize or stop updates. Since I am still building out and testing this PC, I didn't want Windows updates confusing things. I will turn it back on once I "launch" the machine for routine use.

I will look at Macrium Reflect once I get this solved. (Or I reformat the SSD and start over! <ugh>)

wallen, Jan 12, 2017
  9. Steve C Win User
    This may be a long shot. My PC hung at boot yesterday after typing the password - see Can't Login - Further Troubleshooting Steps?

I ran chkdsk c: /spotfix and all is now fine. Someone has also suggested running chkdsk c: /r.

Steve C, Jan 13, 2017
  10. wallen Win User
    Thanks Steve C... I did run chkdsk on all partitions, and no problems were found.

wallen, Jan 13, 2017
  11. Rather than booting to safe mode from storage have you tried booting and running routines from external media, iso / USB key?

Caledon Ken, Jan 13, 2017
  12. wallen Win User
    Caledon Ken... Not sure what you mean. I can boot from the Windows installation DVD, but that's really "running Windows." I don't have a bootable Windows flash drive.

wallen, Jan 13, 2017
  13. Extremely long and incomplete boot

Okay. I just wanted to ensure the programs you were running were coming from some place other than internal storgae. If you boot from installation disc and run repairs, that is where I was heading. You can create bootable flash drive by typing recovery drive into Cortana. Usually asks for 8GB key. You can also create by heading to Microsoft and looking for their media creator.

14. wallen Win User
    I tried running "repair windows" from the installation disc, but it reported that it couldn't fix the problem.

My best guess of the problem is that some file related to user log-in got corrupted. Once the desktop appears, I can run all my programs, and operation seems normal. Of course, as I mentioned in my OP, the start menu is missing most of my links, and programs that are supposed to run at start-up (my own choice for clock, calendar, fan control, to-do list, etc) aren't.

If I can't resolve this in the next day or so, I'll reinstall Windows, and just start from over again.

wallen, Jan 13, 2017
  15. One avenue, which I don't consider a fix but I see a lot, create a new user and transfer data files to it. If you search missing start menu you will see number of hits.

Not sure if I mentioned, I would look at Macrium Reflect. It is free, allows you to have multiple versions and is a quick and effective way to restore an Image.

Thema:

1. Extremely long and incomplete boot - Similar Threads - Extremely long incomplete

2. extremely long updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    extremely long updates: My computer runs on an Intel I7 8700 processor with 8 cores and a 3GHz clock rate, yet I'm seeing updates for Windows 11 Home that take what I think are excessively long times, of the order of 30 minutes or more. Is this unusual?...
  3. extremely long updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    extremely long updates: My computer runs on an Intel I7 8700 processor with 8 cores and a 3GHz clock rate, yet I'm seeing updates for Windows 11 Home that take what I think are excessively long times, of the order of 30 minutes or more. Is this unusual?...
  4. HP Laptop extremely long startup time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    HP Laptop extremely long startup time: Greetings All, I am writing with what appears to be a somewhat common problem with Windows 10. I am trying to troubleshoot my daughters 1 year old HP gaming laptops looooong startup time (10 min +). It started this behavior 3 or 4 months ago while at college. It is a HP...
  5. Win 10 HP laptop extremely long boot time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 HP laptop extremely long boot time: I am trying to troubleshoot my daughters less than 1 year old HP gaming laptops looooong boot time 10 min +. It started this behavior 1 or 2 months ago while at college. It is a windows 10 machine, fast start is not selected, it has been virus and malware scanned,...
  6. Issues and extremely long loading of Music folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issues and extremely long loading of Music folder: Having an issue since some Windows 10 update within the last few months (not sure which one) where my music folder takes a very long time to load, and refreshes regularly / randomly while in it, sometimes when just scrolling, or even if I am not performing any actions and...
  7. Windows July 14th update: Extremely LONG Boot up time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows July 14th update: Extremely LONG Boot up time: Before July 14th, My PC is able to boot up and get ready to be used under a minute or so generally. My Windows 10 is running off a Samsung Evo NVME M.2 drive. I have AMD 1700X and 32 GB of RAM and Vega 64. Now it takes more like 10 min to load desktop icon and app task on...
  8. Extremely long boot issues after Drivers and Windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extremely long boot issues after Drivers and Windows update: The other day, I was updating drivers specifically SATA AHCI controller drivers and NVIDIA display drivers. I went to go restart my computer, and saw that there was a mandatory Windows update. So, I restarted it, then I got stuck on the "ASRock" loading screen for 7 hours. I...
  9. Restarting system taking extremely long time

in Windows 10 Support
    Restarting system taking extremely long time: Hello forum. I purchased an all in one Desktop which is running windows 10 home. Because this was a display model, the salesperson told me I'd have to restart the system in order to delete all the stuff which had been installed while on display, various apps and software. So...
  10. Windows 10 Home: Extremely Long Boot Times & Sometimes Not At All

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Home: Extremely Long Boot Times & Sometimes Not At All: I have a Sony All-In-One (Model SVL241290X also known as SVL241A11L) computer loaded with Windows 10 Home. Since the later part of Nov; early Dec, I have been experiencing extremely long boot times. We’re talking in the neighborhood of several hours and sometimes it doesn’t...