Windows 10: Extremely slow download speeds in Steam with Windows 10

Discus and support Extremely slow download speeds in Steam with Windows 10 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I recently downloaded Windows 10 and am having awful download speeds compared to what they were with Windows 7. With Windows 7 I averaged about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by justicio, Jul 20, 2015.

1. justicio Win User

Extremely slow download speeds in Steam with Windows 10

I recently downloaded Windows 10 and am having awful download speeds compared to what they were with Windows 7. With Windows 7 I averaged about 9.8MB/s. With Windows 10 I am getting 400KB/s max. At one point after restarting steam, the download went all the way up to 1024KB/S, but only for about 5 seconds until returning back to around 345KB/s. I read a similar problem somewhere where McAfee was causing slow Steam download speeds, and after uninstalling it the speeds returned to normal. Perhaps the Security in Windows 10 could be the problem? I tried disabling the Firewall and turning on Windows Defender but had no luck. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

:)

justicio, Jul 20, 2015
  2. rama10 Win User

Slow after win10 anniversary update

im using windows 7 ,windows 10 in dual boot .

Internet is extremely slow on windows 10 ..unable to browse ..slow loading . Also download speed is not consistent , some times it just freezes .

my speed dropped to 125kbps as i exceeded my isp data limit but its working perfectly fine in window7 ,why its not working in windows 10 .

I disabled all data collecting features ,stopped updates etc etc still not working . feels fishy ...dont know what microsoft doing secretly on our machines.

rama10, Jul 20, 2015
  3. barbusss Win User
    Internet speeds extremely slow

I had the same problem for a year now, and additionally when I switched on my PC it killed (slowed down) the internet in the whole house with every devices.

Yesterday I found the solution for my problem, since then everything is fine.

"svchost.exe (netsvcs)" was using all of my internet bandwidth.

The next time everything slows down on your network click your Start button, start typing
    resource monitor and after just a few letters the program name should appear at the top of the menu so click on it. When the program opens, click the "Network" tab, look at the "Network Activity" bar then the "Network I/O" monitor.

I found out that "svchost.exe (netsvcs)" was using my bandwidth.

In command prompt put config wuauserv start= disabled

you may need to be in an elevated command prompt if you are the main/administrator account you should be fine or just right click the windows button in the bottom left and then select Command prompt (admin) .

barbusss, Jul 20, 2015
  4. Extremely slow download speeds in Steam with Windows 10

Try resetting both your router and modem. Unplug each of them and leave them off for 30 seconds, then plug your modem back in, let it come up fully, and then plug your router back in.

I was having a similar issue with Steam after upgrading from a previous build and that fixed it for me.

blackroseMD1, Jul 20, 2015
  5. Boozad Win User
    Do you have an ASUS motherboard by any chance?

Boozad, Jul 24, 2015
  6. justicio Win User
    Yesssssss it worked. The most simple thing ever fixed all of the problems I thought were caused by my ISP or Windows 10 alone. Thanks a bunch *Tongue

justicio, Jul 24, 2015
  7. Glad it worked. Nothing worse than slow downloads.

blackroseMD1, Jul 24, 2015
  8. Tensenuma Win User

So. I never really make an account for forums (Never see the need to, I'm never active in them unless it's something like XPGamesaves/Se7ensins. But. THANK YOU FOR THIS. Yesterday the problem started to arise. 200-300 kb/s instead of 1.5 mb/s. I was like ugh. Must have been Win10. /:
    But nope. I followed your EXACT instructions and I'm back up to 1.5 mb/s *Biggrin

So yes, I made an account on here Just to thank you. You deserve it. I'm glad I googled up "slow download speed after windows 10"
    And I'm glad someone had the same problem I had. But really. Thank you. Normally I just unplug both of them at the same time with one flick of a switch. But waiting one after the other worked 110%. *Smile Never been happier. Back to installined 70+ games. Lmao

Tensenuma, Aug 1, 2015
  9. Tensenuma Win User
    What's sad is that my Blizzard games would download at a normal speed while Steam would be cut in half pretty much. I just went with it. But I'm glad it's fixed now ^^

Tensenuma, Aug 1, 2015
  10. Tensenuma Win User
    Eh.. It worked for a bit but then went back to 300kb/s after I quit my game and checked. Downloads running in the background of games of course. Is this just a temp fix?

Tensenuma, Aug 1, 2015
  11. Boozad Win User
    This wasn't answered.

Boozad, Aug 1, 2015
  12. Tensenuma Win User
    ASUS H81M-D/E Plus (Intel H81 Chipset) (MATX)

Tensenuma, Aug 1, 2015
  13. Tensenuma Win User

If I can help any further/provide more information. Feel free. After doing the temporary solution. It happened once more. Dropped to about 200 kb/s and stayed that way. I did the 'fix' once more and so far it's managed to hold up for several hours. The first time it tripped and went to slow speed again was when I exited a game. Sometimes downloads refresh when I exit a game. Even if I have 'download while in-game' on.

Tensenuma, Aug 1, 2015
  14. Boozad Win User
    Do you have any AI Suite components installed? If so look for iNetwork Control, if you have that uninstall it.

Boozad, Aug 1, 2015
  15. Tensenuma Win User
    Yeah I don't have that. Checked my Programs and Features. It might have been a freak thing with my ISP because it seems to be fine now.. And I do have a really bad ISP. Wildblue. Not recommended for gaming at the slightest.

Tensenuma, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Extremely slow download speeds in Steam with Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Extremely slow download

2. Getting extremely slow download speeds for Steam since upgrading to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting extremely slow download speeds for Steam since upgrading to Windows 11: It will download at 1 MB/sec and it only does that like once every 10 seconds, otherwise it's 0 MB/sec!I tried clearing Download Cache in Steam and restarting and that didn't help.I tried selecting a different Steam server and that didn't help.When I ran Windows 10 I never...
  3. Getting extremely slow download speeds for Steam since upgrading to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting extremely slow download speeds for Steam since upgrading to Windows 11: It will download at 1 MB/sec and it only does that like once every 10 seconds, otherwise it's 0 MB/sec!I tried clearing Download Cache in Steam and restarting and that didn't help.I tried selecting a different Steam server and that didn't help.When I ran Windows 10 I never...
  4. Overall download speeds are extremely slow.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Overall download speeds are extremely slow.: When I try to download games, the speeds are around 1-3mb/s, this is consistent with all the launchers I tested. When downloading files from the web, it's around 100kb/s. I did an internet test and I got around 10mb/s on both download and upload. On another pc it's 60mb/s and...
  5. Overall download speeds are extremely slow.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Overall download speeds are extremely slow.: When I try to download games, the speeds are around 1-3mb/s, this is consistent with all the launchers I tested. When downloading files from the web, it's around 100kb/s. I did an internet test and I got around 10mb/s on both download and upload. On another pc it's 60mb/s and...
  6. Overall download speeds are extremely slow.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Extremely slow download speeds

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Extremely slow download speeds: A few days ago I tried to download Forza Horizon 4 on my new pc from Microsoft store. After about a minute of downloading at 50 mb/s, my download speeds dropped to around 5 mb/s. I ran a speed test and am getting speeds of around 20 mb/s. Is there a way to increase download...
  8. My download speeds are extremely slow!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My download speeds are extremely slow!: For the past couple of days, my computer's download speeds have been really slow, like 200 kb. It is ok, but my computer is usually downloading at 20 mb. I have already tried everything I could find on the internet about it, and I did a internet speed test and it was fine. So...
  9. Download speed on one windows extremely slow?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Download speed on one windows extremely slow?: My internet speed on my PC is incredibly slow. It’s showing a 0.1 mbps download speed, but the upload speed remains normal. I don’t have a wifi card installed, so i’m using the motherboards ethernet port, but I also tested it through the USB 3.0 ports with the same result....
  10. slow download speed except steam

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    slow download speed except steam: My download speed is very slow when i want to download something from firefox or chrome (around 200kb/s) But when i download games from steam it is much faster(1-2mb) I already did speedtests but my steam download speed is much faster than the download speed in the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. steam download slow windows 10

2. steam slow download windows 10

3. steam downloads slow windows 10

4. steam download slow after upgrading to windows 10,
  5. slow download windows 10 steam,
  6. steam slow download speeds windows,
  7. steam downloads with extremly slow speed,
  8. windows 10 steam slow download,
  9. can windows defender slow down steam downloads,
  10. steam download windows 10 slow