Windows 10: Extremely slow file transfer from computer to external HDD

Discus and support Extremely slow file transfer from computer to external HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Extremely slow file transfer from computer to external HDD I am almost sure it has to do with Malwarebytes real time protection which I recently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Robbie, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Robbie Win User

Extremely slow file transfer from computer to external HDD

I am almost sure it has to do with Malwarebytes real time protection which I recently installed, and I am not a complainer but this is almost ridiculous.

Robby

Extremely slow file transfer from computer to external HDD [​IMG]

:)

Robbie, Mar 25, 2018

2. transfering files from 64 bit Vista to Windows 10

Hi Alex,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Sorry to know that you are facing this issue.

If you have an external HDD then you may first copy the desired data to the external HDD first. Once this is done plug in the external HDD to the Windows 10 pc and then move the files from the external HDD to the pc. Windows Easy Transfer is
    not available in Windows 8.1 anymore.

If you transfer files from the old computer that contain malicious software, that software can be transferred to your new computer. We strongly recommend that you run antivirus and spyware protection programs at all times, especially on your
    old computer, before you select files to transfer. After you're transferred files to your new computer, run those programs on the new computer to make sure that no malicious software was transferred.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Mar 25, 2018
  3. Can't create a Restore Point.

What I do is save all files in an external HDD or in IneDrive then, create a local account (admin) delete the bad user profile. reboot pc and re-create the user profile (same name) and put files back from external HDD. it's simplier.

or you can.

Transfer all important files to an external HDD and reset your PC. all files and programs willl be deleted but your PC will be back to factory state. then, transfer all files back from HDD

Rasheed Mandeep, Mar 25, 2018
  4. sml156 Win User

Unfortunately transferring 1000's of small files takes longer than 1 large file, Your better off just compressing them all together with Zip or 7zip and then transfer them.

Is the drive a USB 2 drive, If it's a USB 3 drive is it plugged into a USB 3 port.

sml156, Mar 25, 2018
  5. Robbie Win User
    The external HDD are connected through USB, but it's a somewhat older computer with only USB 2 ports.

And yes there are a lot of small files which I need to back-up frequently.

Robby

Robbie, Mar 25, 2018
  6. Samuria Win User
    AV etc often causes it to crawl as it scans on read and on write

Samuria, Mar 26, 2018
  7. Robbie Win User
    Most likely, that's the downside of real time protection

Robbie, Mar 26, 2018
  8. Robbie Win User

I noticed a huge speed difference in copying from NTFS to NTFS is 30 x faster
    Sadly my 2 (4Tb HDD) are formatted in exFat, and I can not change it anymore.

Robby

Robbie, Mar 26, 2018
  9. lx07 Win User
    If your 4TB disks are formatted ExFAT then each sector is 128kb. With NTFS it is (by default) 4kb. See this link:default-cluster-size-for-ntfs-fat-and-exfat

Apart from ExFAT wasting space for small files, what is interesting is the difference in cluster size (32x bigger) is exactly the same as the performance penalty you noticed. Perhaps it is a co-incidence - it would need more testing I guess.

Not sure what (if anything) can be done about it though if you can't reformat.

One question though - I see your example was photos from 2017. Are you backing up everything each time or just changed files? If you are repeatedly backing up the whole directory you could use robocopy instead and only write changed objects to backup disk.

10. Robbie Win User
    The two external HDD are identical with files, so I started the journey to format the first one to NTFS and copy all the files from the other one (15 hours estimated)

Robby

Robbie, Mar 27, 2018
  11. Cr00zng Win User
    You could also use SyncToy for backing up files and folders. Once the initial back up completed, it'll only back up changes. SyncToy can be scheduled to synchronize the folders and files in the background.

Download SyncToy 2.1 from Official Microsoft Download Center

I have mine running in every four hours, without noticing much of a performance hit on the system.

Cr00zng, Mar 27, 2018
  12. Robbie Win User
    Will have a look at it !

Thanks a lot

Robbie, Mar 27, 2018
  13. Robbie Win User

I do have a question about SyncToy if you don't mind.

I have 2 external HDD with both the same information. Can I sync from the computer to two drives at the same time?
    Do I get exactly the same file names instead of strange file names I had with another sync program (can not remember which one)

Robby

Robbie, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Extremely slow file transfer from computer to external HDD - Similar Threads - Extremely slow file

2. Extremely slow file transfers internrally

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extremely slow file transfers internrally: I'm using my old 4 years old gaming gig as a Plex server. I ran out of room on the array I had set up with three 8TB drives and purchased two new 18 TB drives. I've tried to copy the files over to the larger drives and have attempted this to both drives. They are each set up...
  3. Extremely slow file transfers internrally

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extremely slow file transfers internrally: I'm using my old 4 years old gaming gig as a Plex server. I ran out of room on the array I had set up with three 8TB drives and purchased two new 18 TB drives. I've tried to copy the files over to the larger drives and have attempted this to both drives. They are each set up...
  4. Extremely slow file transfers internrally

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Transfering files from Seagate HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfering files from Seagate HDD: Hi!My seagate HDD has been acting strange lately and i know it is a problem with seagate and windows 10/11. I want to transfer all of my files from my seagate hdd to another usb harddrive. I simply just drag and drop the files as i assume is right?I get these error messages...
  6. Transfering files from Seagate HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfering files from Seagate HDD: Hi!My seagate HDD has been acting strange lately and i know it is a problem with seagate and windows 10/11. I want to transfer all of my files from my seagate hdd to another usb harddrive. I simply just drag and drop the files as i assume is right?I get these error messages...
  7. External HDD Transfer Problem

External HDD Transfer Problem: Hello! I am facing some issue with my External HDD FAT32. The problem is whenever I try to to copy something file to my HDD it says "You'll need to provide administer permission to copy this folder", when I click "Continue", it again says "You need permission to perform...
  8. External HDD Transfer Problem

External HDD Transfer Problem: Hello! I am facing some issue with my External HDD FAT32. The problem is whenever I try to to copy something file to my HDD it says "You'll need to provide administer permission to copy this folder", when I click "Continue", it again says "You need permission to perform...
  9. Extremely Slow Write Transfer Speeds

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Extremely Slow Write Transfer Speeds: Hello All, Not sure if this is the place for this or not. I recently upgraded from Windows Home Server 2011 to Windows 10 Pro due to whs being limited to 8gb of RAM and causing some other issues. I am seeing EXTREMELY slow transfer speeds across my network since my upgrade...
  10. Extremely slow intranet file transfer speed

Extremely slow intranet file transfer speed: Windows 10 Pro Build: 1709 OS Build: 16299.309 I have three pc's on my home network. One had windows 10 from the factory the other two were Win 7 and 8.1 and all were experiencing 70-90MB/sec file transfer speeds. My internet was and still is 60MB/sec. After upgrading to...