Windows 10: Extremely slow intranet file transfer speed

Discus and support Extremely slow intranet file transfer speed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro Build: 1709 OS Build: 16299.309 I have three pc's on my home network. One had windows 10 from the factory the other two were Win 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by treyswild, Mar 14, 2018.

1. treyswild Win User

Extremely slow intranet file transfer speed

Windows 10 Pro
    Build: 1709
    OS Build: 16299.309

I have three pc's on my home network. One had windows 10 from the factory the other two were Win 7 and 8.1 and all were experiencing 70-90MB/sec file transfer speeds. My internet was and still is 60MB/sec. After upgrading to windows 10 the file transfer speeds went to 5-8MB/sec. Internet speed is unaffected.

I have followed many forums and tried every suggestion and nothing has resolved this issue. The last big windows 10 update did slow down the native windows 10 machine from 70-90MB/sec to 50-60MB/sec. Also, the native Win 10 machine is connecting via wifi and others via ethernet (wired)
    Any new ideas? Yes, latest drivers. Yes, Large Offload is disabled and many other suggestions.

Thanks in advance

:)

treyswild, Mar 14, 2018

2. Windows 10 Pro Extremely slow Data Transfer and Complete PC becomes Very Slow

During copying files even small size (Say about 500 MB), Windows 10 suddenly drops speed after about 30 seconds to 10 KBPS and then many times to Zero. This transfer process thus becomes extremely slow and along with that the whole laptop becomes extremely
    slow - Example during transfer to open My Computer takes 3 minutes to open and finally the PC hangs. If no data transfer is happening the laptop works perfect but only after reboot. Once data transfer has started the whole PC slows down and works normally
    only after reboot.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

RainbowInTheSky, Mar 14, 2018
  3. joevees Win User
    9300 How to backup contacts to a PC. Why is the phone so slow?

Whenever I perform a backup, only my messages, calender are backed-up. How can I back up my contacts? How can I transfer my contacts to a PC?

Also, the phone is EXTREMELY slow. What could be causing this slow speed?

joevees, Mar 14, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Samuria, Mar 14, 2018
  5. treyswild Win User
    Using windows explorer. Same procedure as before. using Windows security (Defender).

treyswild, Mar 14, 2018
  6. bro67 Win User
    Sounds like something else is going on. Any changes with the network adapters? Are these wired computers or wireless?

bro67, Mar 14, 2018
  7. treyswild Win User
    Only change was the upgrade. The laptop that came with Windows 10 Pro is on wifi. The upgrade is on a 1GB ethernet full duplex connection. Also, the internet connection speed is mostly unchanged.

treyswild, Mar 14, 2018
  8. PiKo Win User

Although it should not have an effect, just give it a try:
    If SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support is not enabled, enable it and see whether it has an effect.

9. Samuria Win User
    Full duplex can slow it to a crawl it true to send and receive at the same time and often the network can't cope so it has to resend packets most home routers can't cope with duplex

Samuria, Mar 15, 2018
  10. treyswild Win User
    So SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support was enabled.
    Why would 'most' home routers be unable to cope with full duplex. I have an ASUS RT-AC87U (AC2400) router with gigabit ethernet. Also, why would my network have been 80-100 MB/sec prior to upgrading to Windows 10 if my router could not 'cope' with full-duplex? My laptop, which came with Windows 10 uses wifi to connect to my network is able to transfer files at 50-60MB/sec. Hmmmm.

Again, the only change was the upgrade from Windows 8.1 to 10. No other hardware changes were made at the time.

treyswild, Mar 16, 2018
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

@treyswild

I'm not sure if it will work for everybody but what I did to solve this type of problem was

1) Install a decent FAST wifi extender with 4 Lan ports on it ( have 4 computers I need to connect - the 5GHZ wireless is fast enough for any sensible rate file transfer -- regularly getting speeds of around 115 MB/s ( X 4 for Mb/s !!)/

2) a decent netgear small 5 port 1 Gb/s network switch model GS205 -- only a few USD and I mean a few and absolutely 100% worth it. (Approx 11 GBP inc VAT / 12 EUR/ USD )

Extremely slow intranet file transfer speed [​IMG]

3) individual Lan cables from the 4 computers to the lan switch.

4) 1 single Lan cable from switch to Lan extender.

This allows all the computers faster wifi access of the 5GHZ band - especially those that don't have 5 GHZ wifi including a desktop that doesn't have wifi at all. The extender and network switch take care of that problem. The network switch takes care of all the "handshaking" and protocols needed for maximum network throughput so that's another less fiddling around with router config / network settings to worry about !!!.

You need a good wifi extender though - I'm using a Netgear Black hawk -- It has 3 antennas and I need this as the computers are situated nearly 100 metres from the main router. I've been kicked out of the main house into a "man Shed" 100 metres from main house !!!! . The network switch is about 1 metre from the computers

4) single lan cable from the switch to wifi extender (approx. 25 metres). Wifi from extender to Router.

Works perfectly.

Strange thing is that without the switch i.e with 4 lan cables from computers going to the extender the network transfer speeds were far slower !!! but the switch made it all work fantastically OK.

Quite happy with current speed with 4 computers running concurrently 2 file transferring, 2 Internet browsing average speed on all of them (remember 100 metres from main router and using an extender via Wifi).

Speed over Wifi extender :

Extremely slow intranet file transfer speed [​IMG]

Maybe some Network guru can explain why this worked better than using 4 or 5 individual LAN cables to the extender - my initial reason for the network switch was to minimize the amount of LAN cables I had around the place.

Final test - A laptop with no LAN connector with just Wifi in the same shed - much slower speed (around 10X slower). Added USB-->LAN adapter and connected to the switch -- Laptop performing as the others at 10X faster network speed !!!

I also have a Centos rel 7.2 Linux file server / NAS on the 5th port of the switch running 24/7 also in the shed - supplies multi-media etc - perfectly fine for video streaming etc - "She who must be obeyed" !!! loves it too as no more cables / boxes near TV etc which she was always complaining about !!!. _ Now she can Vacuum behind TV etc !!!!!!!. As the Server doesn't have Wifi this is also a perfect solution too.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 16, 2018
  12. treyswild Win User
    I guess I do not understand. I have been on several other forums including Microsoft and I have clearly identified that the only change was an upgrade to the o/s. No changes to the network, pc hardware and yet everything other than the upgrade is explored as if I have misstated my situation.
    I am frustrated. I have been attempting to find a solution for this for several years now.

treyswild, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Extremely slow intranet file transfer speed - Similar Threads - Extremely slow intranet

2. Slow copy and file transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow copy and file transfer speeds: 35,000 files 1.7gb. Taking days to transfer/copy. Ridiculously slow. No information regarding the exact mb/s or kb/s. It's 2024 can we speed it up a little Microsoft?...
  3. Slow copy and file transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow copy and file transfer speeds: 35,000 files 1.7gb. Taking days to transfer/copy. Ridiculously slow. No information regarding the exact mb/s or kb/s. It's 2024 can we speed it up a little Microsoft?...
  4. Extremely slow file transfers internrally

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extremely slow file transfers internrally: I'm using my old 4 years old gaming gig as a Plex server. I ran out of room on the array I had set up with three 8TB drives and purchased two new 18 TB drives. I've tried to copy the files over to the larger drives and have attempted this to both drives. They are each set up...
  5. Extremely slow file transfers internrally

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extremely slow file transfers internrally: I'm using my old 4 years old gaming gig as a Plex server. I ran out of room on the array I had set up with three 8TB drives and purchased two new 18 TB drives. I've tried to copy the files over to the larger drives and have attempted this to both drives. They are each set up...
  6. Extremely slow file transfers internrally

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Extremely slow download speeds

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Extremely slow download speeds: A few days ago I tried to download Forza Horizon 4 on my new pc from Microsoft store. After about a minute of downloading at 50 mb/s, my download speeds dropped to around 5 mb/s. I ran a speed test and am getting speeds of around 20 mb/s. Is there a way to increase download...
  8. Extremely Slow Write Transfer Speeds

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Extremely Slow Write Transfer Speeds: Hello All, Not sure if this is the place for this or not. I recently upgraded from Windows Home Server 2011 to Windows 10 Pro due to whs being limited to 8gb of RAM and causing some other issues. I am seeing EXTREMELY slow transfer speeds across my network since my upgrade...
  9. transfer speeds ,copying files extremely difficult

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transfer speeds ,copying files extremely difficult: transfer speed to 3.0 usb from explorer file in pc extremely slow,worst i ever seen.all day to transfer one iso file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/transfer-speeds-copying-files-extremely-difficult/aa059424-ac32-4844-954c-3c4b07cdc991
  10. File Transfer Speed Extremely Low

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File Transfer Speed Extremely Low: Hi. I was trying to copy a 2gb file over to another folder, and the transfer speed dropped down to kilobytes or even bytes per second. Sometimes, however, it wildly fluctuates all over the place - from 4KB/s to 50MB/s. How can I fix this? Thanks. 76291

Users found this page by searching for:

1. slow home intranet windows 10

2. window toslow intranet

3. windows data transfer over intranet slow

4. speed up intranet transfer win 10