Windows 10: Extremely slow Windows Explorer. Please help.

Discus and support Extremely slow Windows Explorer. Please help. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone. My Windows 10 laptop, which previously had Windows 7 (I upgraded through Windows Update) is now having problems with the file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TheOne21, Oct 4, 2015.

1. TheOne21 Win User

Extremely slow Windows Explorer. Please help.

Hi everyone.
    My Windows 10 laptop, which previously had Windows 7 (I upgraded through Windows Update) is now having problems with the file explorer.It all started last night, when I was listening to some music with the windows media player, then it froze, a windows popped up asking me if I wanted to end the process and I said yes. From there, it all went downhill. My File Explorer is now EXTREMELY slow, I open a folder and it takes 1 or 2 minute for a new window to even open. Then it takes like 2 more minutes for the new window to even show things. When it does load i can't even scroll up or down or open another subfolder because it freezes and shows "Not responding" at least 3 time before even doing something. I have no Idea how to fix this, which is why I'm here today starting this thread.
    At first I thought it was a performance Issue, but Steam, Task Manager and even games work perfectly fine. Maybe it's worth to mention that my task manager sometimes displays as if my disk was being completely 100% used, but then it goes back to 98%, then back to 100% again, and after a while it calms down and displays the actual percentage. My HDD is more than half free. Also, when I first installed Windows 10 I had a BSOD Issue. Luckily, kemical from the Windows Forums managed to help me and solve my issue through dump files provided by the W7F Diagnostic Tool. I am trying to back up my most important files to my external hard disk right now in case I have to reset/format my PC, but since the File Explorer is extremely slow, the estimated copy time is more than a day. It would be very nice if an alternate solution for my problem could be found. I am very scared of resets and would not like to do it at all.
    Many thanks in advance mates.
    EDIT: Google Chrome won't open and using the Windows 10 search tool at the bottom left makes File Explorer crash sometimes.

:)

TheOne21, Oct 4, 2015

2. Windows 10 Slow startup and shutdown

Startup and shut down slow.

Files not responding.

Window explorer often no responding, when working, it is very slow.

File transfer rate is extremely slow.

Dell Inspiron window 8 with 1tb hard disk, 8 gb ram and 2 gb graphics was extremely well and fast when bought from Dell.

But after installing windows 10, this system is very very slow

Now I am using AVG free antivirus after Defender was infected. AVG removed many affected files. But it is still very slow.

please help

ThomasAmbazhavelil, Oct 4, 2015
  3. 716sandy Win User
    windows 10 very slow to load

Please help windows 10 extremely slow to load web pages all of the sudden was working well not I am very frustrated!!!!

716sandy, Oct 4, 2015
  4. LittleJay Win User

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

When I first upgraded from W7 to W10 I had problems with Component Store corruption and did a repair install with an in place upgrade to fix it. With this method I didn't lose any data or programs/apps previously installed. The only thing I had to do afterward was rerun Windows Update. You can check out the steps in the link I posted above.

LittleJay, Oct 5, 2015
  5. TheOne21 Win User
    My friend told me that the Windows 10 "Reset This PC" option in the recovery settings would do the trick as well. And I could chose to keep my files. Will this work? I'll consider this repair as a second option as well.

TheOne21, Oct 5, 2015
  6. andrekish Win User
    Hello - there's solution posted here - but cannot say if it works totally yet though but it has helped me just now. Hope it helps you too. Save any work open first, before you do this.

Taken from site at this board - Solved File explorer slow with loading thumnails and files - Windows 10 Forums

Step by step guide:
    1. Hold Win+r to open run
    2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
    3. Click Services
    4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
    5. Uncheck tickbox
    6. Click apply then ok
    7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

-- Your system will need a restart when it reconfigures itself so save any work first. I tried this myself and it ran slow first time while it indexed slow directories - then after I closed file explorer and reloaded it it ran fast on slow directories. I hope it helps you. Best of luck and best wishes.

andrekish, Nov 12, 2015
  7. topgundcp Win User
  8. andrekish Win User

Thanks - my file manager is still slow - I've got a hundred or so files in downloads folder and it takes at least a minute to load and display any files.

I'm new here so hope this questions isn't out of place, but may I ask if you know what causes this? - the bar at the top goes green very slowly and I'm not any kind of expert at any of it.

Thanks so much if you can help in ANY way - Andre

andrekish, Nov 13, 2015
  9. Looey Win User

Looey, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Extremely slow Windows Explorer. Please help. - Similar Threads - Extremely slow Explorer

2. Windows 10 computer is extremely slow, please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 computer is extremely slow, please help: Hello every1!My computer is very slow, even file explorer crashes. It takes an eternity to load files or programs. What about games? 10 FPS maximum and they all crash.Yeah, I tried to reinstall Windows 10 but it's useless, still freaking slow.My PC specs:I5 4210U ; CPUNVIDIA...
  3. Windows 10 computer is extremely slow, please help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 computer is extremely slow, please help: Hello every1!My computer is very slow, even file explorer crashes. It takes an eternity to load files or programs. What about games? 10 FPS maximum and they all crash.Yeah, I tried to reinstall Windows 10 but it's useless, still freaking slow.My PC specs:I5 4210U ; CPUNVIDIA...
  4. Windows 10 computer is extremely slow, please help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. File Explorer Extremely Slow!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Extremely Slow!: Hello, From 13th November, my laptop has become slower in the case of file explorer. I have even attached an image: I think that this might be because of the Update I made that day. It was working just normal on the 12th, I remember. And, there is a video in my Downloads...
  6. File Explorer Extremely Slow!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Extremely Slow!: Hello, From 13th November, my laptop has become slower in the case of file explorer. I have even attached an image: I think that this might be because of the Update I made that day. It was working just normal on the 12th, I remember. And, there is a video in my Downloads...
  7. Windows Explorer is extremely slow and unusable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer is extremely slow and unusable: I've been having this issue on my work PC for the last day. My windows explorer suddenly started to run slow and be completely unusable . I have tried numerous things that I have found online and still no luck. I even restored my PC using a restore point of yesterday morning...
  8. Windows Explorer is extremely slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer is extremely slow: Hello everyone, so yesterday my PC and power supply was off when the light went off for 1-2 minutes. Then when the lights came back on I went to my PC play Minecraft. I turn on my PC and everything is normal until I logged into the user. My PC specs are: Ryzen 7 2700x 16...
  9. File Explorer Extremely slow

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File Explorer Extremely slow: My company has been having issues with file explorer one being loading file explorer is extremely slow. There are other programs having issues now but I feel are not important. To test if this was caused by user error I create a fresh install on a computer suffering from the...
  10. Internet Explorer is extremely slow

in Browsers and Email
    Internet Explorer is extremely slow: I'm using Windows 10 latest updates and internet exp. version 11. (exact vestons see screen shots) About 6-8 weeks, internet explorer has become so slow, and hangs up, so often I literally can not use it. simple tasks such as hitting Google, IE will just hang taking 45-50...