Windows 10: Factory reset failed, killed pc

Discus and support Factory reset failed, killed pc in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Alright, so I upgraded from win8.1 to win10 on my Toshiba Satellite C55Dt-B5208, did the download and the install and everything worked fine, but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by thebomb, Aug 10, 2015.

1. thebomb Win User

Factory reset failed, killed pc

Alright, so I upgraded from win8.1 to win10 on my Toshiba Satellite C55Dt-B5208, did the download and the install and everything worked fine, but I went to factory reset Windows 10 a couple hours later to make it fresh and it stalled out somewhere over 90% of the reset completion and said it had to restart and try to fix the problem or something along those lines. Upon rebooting, the screen didn't turn on at all, but I heard the hard drive spin up. Tried plugging in a different monitor, no input detected.

...What just happened?

Is this free upgrade going to end up costing me money for repairs?

Will Microsoft cover any repair fees for this?

I'm happily running Debian now on another laptop, and will run only Debian in the future after this incident. I just want my hardware running right again. Feels like Microsoft came into my house and stole my laptop.

:)

thebomb, Aug 10, 2015

2. Factory reset failed

I have a little Netbook, it came with 7 Starter.I updated to Windows 10, I've had it for a while, but I tried to install iTunes and it wasn't compatible with 10, so I was going to factory reset to 7 Starter. The reset failed, I tried again, it failed again,
    by now it was 4 a.m. so I got mad turned it off and went to bed. This morning, I tried to try again. When I turned on the Netbook, it says I have no OS, and when I tried to load the F2 menu to reset it from there, it asked for the current password, so I entered
    mine, but it keeps telling me it's wrong and locking me out. Please Help.

CaiusVirusia, Aug 10, 2015
  3. Jesrael Bor, Aug 10, 2015
  4. owensdj Win User

There is no way that software caused a hardware problem.

owensdj, Aug 10, 2015
  5. wrogg Win User
    My desktop did the same! If you search Microsoft Forums it's something to do with the MBR being saved to the wrong partition!
    The secure boot, then locks you out of BIOS and you're left with a brick.
    I took power cable out, CMOS battery out for a minute and reinstalled a less dangerous version of Windows.
    If you get an 8 gig flash drive you can make bootable media.
    Assuming of cause hardware has not failed.

wrogg, Aug 10, 2015
  6. thebomb Win User
    Well, my boot menu and screen didn't just get up and walk away.... the timing would be too much of a coincidence if any hardware failed on its own. I haven't even had this pc for a year. And I'll definitely look into that... nothing to do with my hard drive though. Boot menu and screen should turn on regardless.

Update: Funny thing.... can't find a cmos battery.

thebomb, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Factory reset failed, killed pc - Similar Threads - Factory reset failed

2. Factory reset fail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Factory reset fail: So I tried to factory reset my laptop, but I turned it off during factory reset, and now it's in like a blue screen boot loop. I've tried to trouble shoot it then restart it, but it just says "There was a problem resetting your pc, no changes made." I can't even go back to...
  3. Factory reset fail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Factory reset fail: So I tried to factory reset my laptop, but I turned it off during factory reset, and now it's in like a blue screen boot loop. I've tried to trouble shoot it then restart it, but it just says "There was a problem resetting your pc, no changes made." I can't even go back to...
  4. PC factory reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC factory reset: I'm trying to factory reset my device for some time now. sfc scan won't finish because of windows resource protection. Running in safe mode won't work as well. I can't open my apps as well as the store....
  5. PC factory reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC factory reset: I'm trying to factory reset my device for some time now. sfc scan won't finish because of windows resource protection. Running in safe mode won't work as well. I can't open my apps as well as the store....
  6. Factory Reset PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Factory Reset PC: I have been trying to factory reset my pc for the longest time now. I have run the sfc scan which stops at 9% due to Windows Resource Protection. I have run the sfc scan in safe mode with no difference. I have also run it from the advanced start-up to which it reaches 100%...
  7. Factory Reset PC

Factory Reset PC: I have been trying to factory reset my pc for the longest time now. I have run the sfc scan which stops at 9% due to Windows Resource Protection. I have run the sfc scan in safe mode with no difference. I have also run it from the advanced start-up to which it reaches 100%...
  8. Windows failed to factory reset

Windows failed to factory reset: I tried to factory reset my pc, and my pc just went into a black screen. so i left it with the black screen for 2 hours just to see if it was just doing it's thing... after that i tried to turn my pc off and on again, and now my pc just boots with a black screen and staight...
  9. Failing to preform factory reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Failing to preform factory reset: Recently been having issues with my laptop constantly freezing whether or not I had any apps open, I had an update available but due to the constant freezing my laptop could never finish the update and due to me needing this laptop for work and school but having no important...
  10. Factory reset keeps failing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Factory reset keeps failing: So I wanted to reset my computer and used the reset option on Windows around 40 it's stops and says: there was a problem resettig your PC, no changes were made. tried 2 more but got the same message every time So I ended up just doing a clean install with a USB which work....