Windows 10: Factory reset laptop that has had an upgrade to SSD by cloning old HD

Discus and support Factory reset laptop that has had an upgrade to SSD by cloning old HD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. I bought an SSD some time ago and with it came a cloning software which I used to clone my old HD to the SSD. That worked as it should and I could... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by simmisj, Aug 2, 2016.

1. simmisj Win User

Factory reset laptop that has had an upgrade to SSD by cloning old HD

Hi.
    I bought an SSD some time ago and with it came a cloning software which I used to clone my old HD to the SSD. That worked as it should and I could not have been happier with the performance boost.

I regularly factory reset my computer and wanted to do that now for the first time since I upgraded. But when I choose Reset This PC -> Get Started -> Remove Everything (or) Keep My Files, it just gives me a blue small screen telling me "Could not find the recovery environment". Then it only gives me the option to close and that is it.

Does someone know how to solve this issue?

:)

simmisj, Aug 2, 2016

2. SSD QUESTIONS PLEASE ANSWER

I am running windows 10 and my laptop works fine I would like to upgrade my hard drive to a Transcend SSD and I would like the following questions answered.

1. I know that upgrading to an SSD would requires cloning my HD would I be able to reset my laptop after I install an SSD.

2. If for some reason the SSD fails can I put back in my old HD.

3. Lets say I upgrade to an SSD and in a years time I want to upgrade to a larger of faster SSD can that be done.

4. Should I have system restore and disk maintenance enabled and if not how do I disable it??

5. Should I reset my laptop before I transfer my operating system to the SSD and then reinstall my apps ??

If possible can someone give me a link to a RELIABLE website that can answer as least some of my concerns.

Regards.

vivianpeters, Aug 2, 2016
  3. ikar.us Win User
    When upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, update fails and I get 80070002-20009 error

About 2nd drive, I experienced the exact opposite:

It was a new computer with only a SSD and 8.1 preinstalled.

I planned to upgrade it before doing anything else.

It immediately downloaded 3GB, but didn't offer to start the upgrade for one week.

I gave up and installed the old HD with the data (and XP).

After this it offered the upgrade (which succeeded without problems).

About cloned drives, this assumption fits my case:

The SSD where the upgrade fails is cloned from a HD.

ikar.us, Aug 2, 2016
  4. AndreTen Win User

Hi simmisj and welcome to Ten forums!

I think you haven't provided enough info for complete solution, but:
    if you intend to reset Windows with option remove everything, you would be better with preforming a clean install.

Problem could be related with hidden partitions. Different laptops manufacturers have different approach to this, or cloning software just didn't clone the disk - just selected partitions. If you have backup of your files (document, pictures, projects...) I would suggest downloading ISO from MS (new - anniversary build) and doing clean install.

Wish you luck!

AndreTen, Aug 2, 2016
  5. simmisj Win User
    Thank you AndreTen.

I was not sure what information was relevant.

Anyways, I do not care about any of the files on the computer as I have already backed them up on external hard drives. I just want a clean Windows 10 by any means necessary, as long as it is free *Smile I already bought a Windows license with the laptop so why should I have to buy another one, right?

You solution seems to be the one I am after. I already downloaded the Media Creation Tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...oad/windows10/ and used the USB option to create a bootable USB drive. When I try that I just get a blue screen which hangs, but I can move the mouse.

If I install a fresh copy of Windows 10 will it not want me to provide a product key?

simmisj, Aug 2, 2016
  6. AndreTen Win User
    Try to just download ISO file to you r computer and then use program called Rufus. It is well known.

If your PC is activated with Windows 10, you will no need any key.

Here are great Tutorials by Brink: Windows 10 ISO download

Good luck!

AndreTen, Aug 2, 2016
  7. simmisj Win User
    Great!
    I will give that a go.
    I will be back with any progress good or bad *Biggrin

Thanks!

simmisj, Aug 2, 2016
  8. simmisj Win User

Alright.
    I managed to install Windows 10 using an image and Rufus.
    The solution might be surprising.
    When I bought the SSD I had already bought a HDD caddy so that once I bought an SSD I would have a place for the original hard drive in my computer. I have no use for the DVD drive that came with the computer. So I tried removing the caddy leaving only the SSD. Then, the installation went through without a hessitation.

BUT, when I insert the caddy back into the computer Windows just hangs on a loading screen. I have not tried to keep it loading for a long time since I will do that when I go to sleep. But at least 10 minutes and it does not do anything except stay on the loading screen with the little circle thingy swirling around. I can also move the mouse.

Very weird.

I will mark this as solved. Any comments on the problem I am having with the secondary hard drive in regards to this problem are welcome.

Cheers!

simmisj, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Factory reset laptop that has had an upgrade to SSD by cloning old HD - Similar Threads - Factory reset laptop

2. How to Factory Reset an old school laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Factory Reset an old school laptop: Okay so a bit of back story: I used to go to this one school where they wanted us to bring our own laptops from home so that they can put their system on it. I gave them my Dell Windows laptop and they reset it to be a school laptop. It has blocked websites, admin passwords...
  3. How to Factory Reset an old school laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Factory Reset an old school laptop: Okay so a bit of back story: I used to go to this one school where they wanted us to bring our own laptops from home so that they can put their system on it. I gave them my Dell Windows laptop and they reset it to be a school laptop. It has blocked websites, admin passwords...
  4. How to Factory Reset an old school laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. HD clone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HD clone.: So recently i have bought a new Samsung Evo 860 because i wanted to remove the spinning old HD from my laptop, my old HD had only games so i didn't clone the stuff from HD to new SSD. My question is it fine to just reinstall the games i want or do i need to do somthing before...
  6. SSD to SSD clone, cloned SSD has poor performance

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD to SSD clone, cloned SSD has poor performance: Hi all, Cloned the OEM drive in an HP Elitebook 850 G5 yesterday, to a Kingston A2000. I used Clonezilla, everything went off without a hitch. The reason for this was because I needed more space; 250GB to 500. Throw the new drive in, boot up, and the thing is quite slow....
  7. Clone laptop hd to SSD not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Clone laptop hd to SSD not working: I cloned laptop to SSD and it says cloned successfully. I stick the SSD into the laptop and it doesn't work. Messages on screen say ' Initialising and establishing link' Then ' DHCP' with a flashing slash' 'Exiting intel boot agent cannot boot from any device' then to a...
  8. I upgraded to a SSD from my old HD via cloning, now my Windows is asking for activation

I upgraded to a SSD from my old HD via cloning, now my Windows is asking for activation: This would really screw me up! can you help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-upgraded-to-a-ssd-from-my-old-hd-via-cloning-now/32a11728-a6ee-480f-9f8e-3db4defecde6
  9. Adding a SSD keeping old HD

Adding a SSD keeping old HD: Putting and SSD in the system and will just do a fresh install of windows 10 and make it C:\. I know about going to settings, system, storage, and changing the destinations. But will everything be found OK, or do I need to reinstall all the programs?...
  10. Cloning old Windows 10 SSD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cloning old Windows 10 SSD to new SSD: If I clone my old upgraded windows 10 SSD to a new SSD and do a clean install on the new SSD. Would the new cloned SSD be activated? 9609