Windows 10: Factory reset vs reset keeping files

Discus and support Factory reset vs reset keeping files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm going to reset my PC because I have corrupt audio drivers. Will the bootup times be the same if I chose to reset with my files instead of a factory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sour, Mar 13, 2017.

1. sour Win User

Factory reset vs reset keeping files

I'm going to reset my PC because I have corrupt audio drivers. Will the bootup times be the same if I chose to reset with my files instead of a factory reset? Will I remove potential viruses and such? What i'm trying to ask is what advantages do I get when factory reseting.

:)

2. jq85 Win User

whea uncorrectable error: new computer, not crashing in safe mode

"Twas not the factory reset

I tried the w-10 reset to keep file. The reset failed.

Now trying the factory image restore.

3. Clark Ari Win User
    Factory reset, but choose certain files to keep?

Hi,

Restoring your PC to its factory settings will reinstall the version of Windows that your PC came with. Here are the following things that factory reset will remove:

• Removes apps and drivers you installed.
    • Removes changes you made to settings.
    • Reinstall any apps your PC manufacturer installed on your PC.

Before doing a factory reset, we recommend that you optimize your computer's performance first. We recommend that you follow the steps provided in this article:

Tips to improve PC performance in Windows 10.

Another way to improve the performance of your PC while keeping your files and installed application is to perform an in-place or repair upgrade on your system. To do this, we recommend that you follow the steps provided in this article:
    How to: Perform a Repair Upgrade Using the Windows 10 ISO file.

Feel free to post back if you have further questions.

Clark Ari, Mar 13, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Doing a Factory Reset/Restore will set the computer back to its As-Shipped condition, may lose everything added after the initial setup when you got it. Your data files may or may not be saved, I've had it work both ways and on different brands so be sure you have saved what exists nowhere else and have the discs or downloads to re-install the programs you added along with the installation keys for those that need them along with user names and passwords.

Berton, Mar 13, 2017
  5. reddice Win User
    I did a keep system files when System Restored failed. My PC was sluggish as I disabled and removed system files thanks to stupid googling to speed up my PC paid shill articles which made it slower making restarts taking at least 5 minutes to load and even broke sfc. I did a inplace upgrade and now the PC is running faster too.

reddice, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Factory reset vs reset keeping files - Similar Threads - Factory reset reset

2. Factory reset? or 'fractury' reset?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Factory reset? or 'fractury' reset?: I tried to replace HDD in my 11 years old Samsung laptop model RC520 with a SSD. When putting back the HDD the coputer "freaked out" and apparently made a violent 'factory reset' to the original WIN7 operating system, overrunning and crushing most of my data and software,...
  3. Factory Reset and Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Factory Reset and Files: Quick summary: When factory resetting with the "Keep My Files" setting on, will it delete files outside of the Personal Folders even when they are associated with apps or folders in the Personal Folder?I have reason to believe that something is gumming up how my computer...
  4. Factory reset vs. Format

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Factory reset vs. Format: Is it factory reset EXACTLY the same as formatting C drive and installing fresh Windows 10? submitted by /u/0Artur0 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hgtkua/factory_reset_vs_format/
  5. Factory reset keeps failing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Factory reset keeps failing: So I wanted to reset my computer and used the reset option on Windows around 40 it's stops and says: there was a problem resettig your PC, no changes were made. tried 2 more but got the same message every time So I ended up just doing a clean install with a USB which work....
  6. Factory Reset windows, keep Ubuntu

Factory Reset windows, keep Ubuntu: How do I factory reset windows and remove all windows data but keep Ubuntu and data in Ubuntu directory ? Sachin. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/factory-reset-windows-keep-ubuntu/dc6d30c9-6a85-404c-b2a1-d0429ea4c828
  7. Factory Reset

Factory Reset: Hi, I am trying to factory reset my sisters laptop. I have tried downloading a link thing to a usb and putting the usb into the laptop im trying to reset but it wont work. I cant find any videos on youtube or any information on how to do it. I think her laptop is a levovo...
  8. Windows keeps resetting to factory settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows keeps resetting to factory settings: Windows updated several weeks ago and since then it has reset the desktop to factory setting 4-5 times. All shortcuts are gone, background personalization is lost, ShareFile and Dropbox have to be reconfigured, items added to Quick Access have to be re-added, my desire for...
  9. Factory reset

Factory reset: I have a ton of downloads on my computer thats slowing it down i need to factory reset it but it keeps getting a failure error and says nothings been changed after it hits close to 6%...
  10. factory reset

factory reset: windows 10 has been factory reset but I cannot reinstall my personal settings and data saved on external hardrive. I cant find how to do this anywhere. Information such as my outlook settings with my contact list and old emails, can you help....