Windows 10: Failed Admin rights, Permissions and Security

Discus and support Failed Admin rights, Permissions and Security in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I just upgraded my Win 7 Laptop to Win 10, but I seem to have lost my admin rights to certain folders and actions. I am getting "You don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MelEri60, Jul 29, 2015.

1. MelEri60 Win User

Failed Admin rights, Permissions and Security

Hi,

I just upgraded my Win 7 Laptop to Win 10, but I seem to have lost my admin rights to certain folders and actions.

• I am getting "You don't have permission to save in this location" messages when trying to look at the Local Users and Groups console or save files.
    • I can not download/ save (do not get the save dialog at the bottom of Edge (or IE for that matter)).
    • Also I am not able to do the "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" procedure in the "Your account" window. Nothing happens when I fill in my email and click.

I want my control back, of the Laptop.
    How do I solve this?

/Erik

:)

MelEri60, Jul 29, 2015

2. Standard users able to access personal files of administrator account

You need to right-click / properties / security the admin folder, then check and modify its access permissions.

Frederik Long, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Windows Setup error 0x800704DD-0x90016

Thank you! As soon as I switched to an administrator account, this worked for me. It appears running as admin wasn't enough. I feel Microsoft should probably check security permissions before they try to download stuff if admin rights are required. Thanks!

Spork_Schivago, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Failed Admin rights, Permissions and Security

Windows Sniper, Jul 29, 2015
  5. MelEri60 Win User
    Thanks, I will look into this over the weekend.

But I wonder if, Take Ownership through the Context Menu, will set the wrong user as Owner, as many of the folders I need access to, are within the C:\Windows hierarchy or Appdata or ProgramData etc...
    Shouldn't Administrator or TrustedInstaller or System be the Owner in some of them?

Please advice.

MelEri60, Jul 30, 2015
  6. That is correct, usually you would not run this script against the C:\Windows directory. This is to stop users from mistakenly deleting key files during the running session.

Using the linked tutorial, you do not have to take ownership of the Windows directory however, you choose what items you want to own by selecting them, then choosing to run the action.

Windows Sniper, Jul 30, 2015
  7. I had a similar issue whereby I upgraded from 8.1 to 10, and the built-in local admin account no longer had any administrative rights

garydexter, Jul 30, 2015
  8. MelEri60 Win User

MelEri60, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Failed Admin rights, Permissions and Security - Similar Threads - Failed Admin rights

2. No Admin rights

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Admin rights: Hi,I recently turned my PC off and when I have switched it back on, I have lost all admin rights on my PC.Certain programmes won't work such as Spotify and any games that I have installed through Xbox will not load both of which come up with the following error;'Windows...
  3. Admin permissions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Admin permissions: So, in the printers permission dialog box I somehow checked that no one has permission to control a printer. I cannot remove printer to start over again and reset permissions. Is there any work around as an admin to personal computer to correct this. I removed all instance...
  4. Security and admin rights problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Security and admin rights problems: Hi, here's my problem, I just bought a new SSD and did a fresh install of Windows 10, the old drive was running windows 8, I can acces the files and read them but there's no way to change anything, I tried to check the security as shown here...
  5. Admin Permissions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Admin Permissions: I am the sole user of my laptop. I am the administrator, as well. I'm trying to move some music files from 1 USB flash drive to another. I keep getting a message stating I will need to provide administrative permissions to copy this file. When I continue I'm then required...
  6. Local Admin Rights & Remote Desktop Access Permission

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local Admin Rights & Remote Desktop Access Permission: Hello All, Good morning! In my environment now a days its difficult to manage granting Local Admin Rights and RDP access to the particular users on their particular host , as the GPO size is increasing to assign separate policy though "Restricted Group" settings. Even I...
  7. Admin Permission

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Admin Permission: I started off today trying to make a system image using a DVD+R disc without success. A pop up told me to name a disc and insert it even though there was one in there spinning like mad. After that, I tried to format it as I was told to try that after a Google search but...
  8. ADMIN RIGHTS WITH SPECIAL PERMISSIONS HELPP !

in Windows 10 Customization
    ADMIN RIGHTS WITH SPECIAL PERMISSIONS HELPP !: special permissions are on your pc and I would like to know how to access them with all rights ,control userpasswords2 cmd quit on me, but the cmd for local useradmins showed it was me ...like when we load into are devices we expect to be the admin when we...
  9. Admin Rights

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Admin Rights: How do I turn off passwords without being an Admin https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/admin-rights/298f50bc-2051-4905-94df-23c039e3c9c3"
  10. No admin permissions

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    No admin permissions: I have a problem regarding permissions on my Asus laptop, running windows 10 home. If for example wanting to run cmd as administrator I am prevented from doing so by this message : 'Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device' To continue:'' enter an admin...