Windows 10: Failed Annniversary Upgrade did NOT restore my previous version OK

Discus and support Failed Annniversary Upgrade did NOT restore my previous version OK in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I posted a message on the Microsoft Answers site and they suggested I remove/disable my anti-virus software (I don't have any), disable all devices... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bbinnard, Aug 11, 2016.

1. bbinnard Win User

Failed Annniversary Upgrade did NOT restore my previous version OK

I posted a message on the Microsoft Answers site and they suggested I remove/disable my anti-virus software (I don't have any), disable all devices except the USB stick used to boot the update setup file (I have the Anniv. Update ISO restored to a BluRay disk), and try installing the update from a cold boot.

I did the latter and it failed again, but said it restored my system to it's previous state.

Well, that is not exactly correct. I did get my Build 1511 back, but some critical things no longer work. My file manager (FreeCommander) starts but shows no window and does not show in the task bar. Chrome starts by all my extrnsions crash and it will not load web pages.= or do anything. So I am going to restore from a Macrium disk image I made before my previous attempt at installing the update.

Edit: Good News! Macrium Reflect got me back to a fully working system. Now all I have to do is find a way to stop automatic updates.

Edit2: Well that was easy - just run services.msc and disable the Windows Update service.

:)

bbinnard, Aug 11, 2016
  2. 'Mike P Win User

Is it ok to delete my previous version of Windows?

You can use disk cleanup for the system to remove it.

Windows will remove it 30 days after the upgrade automatically.

Unless you need the space, just leave it for those 30 days in case you do discover you need something.

'Mike P, Aug 11, 2016
  3. maclmu Win User
    Download previous version?

I have solved the problem!

To be able to sync with Outlook again i had to uninstall the Nokia Suite. After installing it again, the sync with Outlook works again.

Thus the upgrade procedure is failing at some point.

maclmu, Aug 11, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Usually with a big upgrade it is worth letting the flak die down.. wait a few months.

You're not the only one experiencing some problems- great you're wise enough to use disk imaging.

The upgrade does solve a few longstanding bugs, and introduces one text positioning bug.

When you eventually try again, make sure you have no possible conflicting software (Aeroglass causes a significant issue) and try from a clean boot, making sure you have enough spare space on your disk, including (I think from what I've seen) at least 450Mb unallocated.

dalchina, Aug 11, 2016
  5. bbinnard Win User
    This whole business of how much empty/free/unallocated space the upgrade needs is just a bit too mysterious:
    1. Is the amount of space needed 350 MB, 400 MB, 450 MB,or 500 MB?
    2. Can the space be at the front of the disk? Or does it have to be at the back? Or does it not matter?
    3. Does there need to be a partition of the proper size (whatever that is) created before the upgrade starts?
    4. If there does need to be a partition, does it have to be allocated? Formatted? Set to any particular set of parameters?

I've had seemingly knowledgeable people and posters give various answers to all of these question. What I don't understand is why MS doesn't publish some specific answers or requirements for a successful upgrade.

bbinnard, Aug 12, 2016
  6. CmmTch Win User
    I checked disk management on my Dell Latitude E6420, I just updated it to the AU on Monday using an iso.

It now has two recovery partitions, one 450M at the right side of the OS partition, and one 5.12G partition to the left of the OS partition. I didn't check before I updated it from Win7 Pro to W10 Pro 1511, so I can't be sure when it was added, from what I've seen on the forum I think updating to W10 1511 added that partition.

Failed Annniversary Upgrade did NOT restore my previous version OK [​IMG]

CmmTch, Aug 12, 2016
  7. bbinnard Win User
    5.12 GB of lost space? That's unreasonable. Seems like a significant bug to me.

bbinnard, Aug 12, 2016
  8. CmmTch Win User

Some might describe the whole W10 experience after initial RTM as a "significant bug"

How about this, disk management from my Dell Latitude E6400, essentially the same route to the AU as my E6420. See it's disk mgmt shot in my previous post. Both laptops were bought refurbished with Win7 Pro x64, upgraded to 10586 1511, this one last year, the 6420 last month. Both upgraded to the AU via a USB iso, this one looks quite different, both laptops are pretty much bare bones, not much extra added, no games, very few programs. Both of them do still have a windows old folder, so that's taking up approx 20G.

Failed Annniversary Upgrade did NOT restore my previous version OK [​IMG]

CmmTch, Aug 12, 2016
  9. Porthos Win User
    That 5.12 is your Dell factory recovery.

Porthos, Aug 12, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, as you probably know, Windows.old will be removed after the roll-back period.
    What is less known is that the rollback period for the AU upgrade is supposed to be 10 days from what I've read.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Failed Annniversary Upgrade did NOT restore my previous version OK - Similar Threads - Failed Annniversary Upgrade

2. Undo restore previous version

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Undo restore previous version: I right-clicked a file in documents with the intention of READING a previous version but I accidentally RESTORED the previous version.Can I undo the restore? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/undo-restore-previous-version/ba00246f-b696-4de2-8341-f2a37a4d260d
  3. Restoring previous windows version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring previous windows version: Restoring previous window version stuck on loop, plss help me, If I cant fix this, I wont be able to be present in our online class https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restoring-previous-windows-version/4f9dd09a-7fad-419a-947c-1e2b92b761bb
  4. Restoration of previous Windows version

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Restoration of previous Windows version: I have replaced my hard drive & I want to restore my earlier Windows version. How do I do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restoration-of-previous-windows-version/f18453db-fdb3-4b0b-aef4-20347a27bff7
  5. How to restore to previous version ?

How to restore to previous version ?: A few days ago windows 10 updated itself to the latest version. I've never had any problems with updates but after this one there are many. I have windows 10 pro Version 1903 18362,388 OS Build. Here are the problems : 1. When my computer goes to sleep mode, after I want to...
  6. Restoration of previous version of windows

Restoration of previous version of windows: I was playing video suddenly chrome stopped responding so i press shutdown button and it started updating windows on 13% i again press shutdown it stopped updating and now from past 2hrs its showing blank screen saying Attempting to recover installation and restoring your...
  7. Windows Upgrade Assistant restoring to previous version of Windows.

Windows Upgrade Assistant restoring to previous version of Windows.: Hello, I am trying to update Windows using the latest Windows Upgrade Assistant and when prompted to restart the PC I get the "Restoring to previous version of Windows" message....
  8. Failed Annniversary Upgrade did restore my previous version OK

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Failed Annniversary Upgrade did restore my previous version OK: I've had a difficult time trying to install the Anniversersary upgrade: How to determine what caused Anniversary Update to fail - Windows 10 Forums This time I started with this disk configuration, except I changed the 450MB partition to 500MB and emptied it.: [img]...
  9. Windows 10 upgrade fails - Restoring your previous version of Windows

Windows 10 upgrade fails - Restoring your previous version of Windows: Good afternoon. Today I received the Windows 10 update notification on Windows Update, but every time I try to upgrade, after the installation process gets to 75%, the computer reboots like 10 times and then a message saying Restoring your previous version of Windows and...
  10. Restoring Previous Version

in Windows 10 Support
    Restoring Previous Version: So I download Windows 10 from here: Windows 10 Whilst I run it, no questions show up, asking anything, but in videos I see questions, asking about Updates and your current PC data. Once it completes, and restarts my PC, it finishes, then goes onto a screen saying...