Windows 10: Failed Hard Drive - No Bootable Devices found!! Advice please!

Discus and support Failed Hard Drive - No Bootable Devices found!! Advice please! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My SSD hardrive failed in my Dell Inspiron 15 laptop a few weeks ago with a "No Bootable Devices Found" error message at startup BIOS. I was hoping... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TTU, Nov 1, 2017.

1. TTU
    TTU Win User

Failed Hard Drive - No Bootable Devices found!! Advice please!

My SSD hardrive failed in my Dell Inspiron 15 laptop a few weeks ago with a "No Bootable Devices Found" error message at startup BIOS.
    I was hoping some of you have experience salvaging data in these type of situations.

What I've tried

• I tried loading Ubuntu on a thumb drive to try to access the hard drive -- no go. The drive did not show up in the devices list.
    • I tried reconnecting the hardrive drive from the labtop in case there was a faulty connection and to reset the drive, no go.
    • I tried using SATA to usb cable to see if I can clone the drive, but the drive is not being read. It shows the Cable interface is connected with 0MB connected to it.
    • When booting, I could not find the drive in the list. When I used ubuntu via USB, the usb did show up and was booted from.
    Questions

• Does windows 10 have any security features which would prevent ubuntu from reading the hard drive?
    What Happened Prior To Failure

• I was connecting a new vizio tv to the laptop via hdmi 2 when I noticed the drive began to be sluggish. Task manager showed 100 percent memory disk usage so I rebooted while it was in this state. Never got it running again. The initial boot a memory test ran and showed no errors were preset. The boots that followed showed no bootable devices found.
    Hard Drive

• The Hard Drive in question is a LITEON SATA SSD 512 GB
    • Windows 10
    • Dell Inspiron 15
    I know this is a long shot, but figured I'd ask to see if I can somehow manually salvage the data. If I can't find a solution myself, I might have to send it off to a data retrieval company, which is very expensive. Any advice?
    Attached are a few error messages and the hard drive information.

IMG_20171102_111349.jpg

IMG_20171013_124233.jpg - Google Drive

IMG_20171013_124248.jpg - Google Drive

:)

2. HairyFool Win User

start PXE over IPv6

"PXE over IPv6" means the computer is trying to find a
    network device that has an operating system available to boot your computer.

The network interface card (NIC) can be a bootable device the same as a hard disk, optical disk or USB drive. There are two possible reasons why this message has come up.

1 Change in Boot Order. Each Boot device is accessed in sequence normally hard drive 1st then optical, USB etc. with PXE last (although PXE can be turned off altogether). If for any reason the boot order changes such that PXE comes before the drive then
    the message will come up. However cancelling the option should then make it progress onto the next device. Eventually the hard disk will boot.

2 Failure of a bootable device. If a drive fails such that no other device can start the computer then the BIOS will step through the available devices until it gets to the NIC option and displays the message. If the option is cancelled the BIOS will display
    that no bootable device was found and to restart the computer.

HairyFool, Nov 1, 2017
  3. ROBERT530 Win User
    how to copy one bootable windows system to a new hard drive and make the new drive bootable in windows 10

i have WINDOWS 10 PRO free edition upgrade from windows 7

i am trying to copy windows 10 pro entire partition to another newer bigger hard drive

all attempts have failed ACRONIS restore failed amoei backupper failed

every attempt to copy bootable windows 10 pro partition to a bigger newer hard drive has failed

formatting does no good even installing a new fresh copy of windows 10 not activated then copying the windows 10

partition over the copy of windows 10 installed on the new hard drive failed

inacessable boot device your computer will now restart

what is it about windows 10 pro that you cannot copy clone an existing bootable copy of windows directly onto another fresh clean hard drive..

why can't i copy clone windows system bootable partition onto another fresh clean hard drive and make it bootable

all i want to do is make another identical bootable copy of my existing windows onto another hard drive..

how difficult is that OR am i just so OLD that i don't know how to do this

ROBERT530, Nov 1, 2017
  4. wyldman68 Win User

Have you removed the Hard drive and tried to use it in another computer, using the SATA to USB? Not finding the drive in Ubuntu does not sound good.

wyldman68, Nov 1, 2017
  5. TTU
    TTU Win User
    Yes, I have done both. I had to order a new hard drive so I can use the computer (the one I'm using now). I tried the SATA to usb, but it was not read. I might have to shell out a grand to salvage the data. This thread is my last attempted effort to try and save a bit of money, if possible.

6. clam1952 Win User
    Depending on how dead the drive is, it might not be possible to restore the data off an SSD, no platters to examine or salvage. First I'd heard of Liteon making SSD's seems an unusual choice. If Linux can't find it I think you are on a highway to nowhere regarding recovery. I've salvaged stuff using Linux in the past when a mechanical drive was dead to Windows. In your case I'd try the SSD in a PC's SATA port if you can and then see if Linux can find it rather than relying on USB to SATA.

You will probably find you still get a large bill from most data recovery companies, even if they can't recover anything.

I'm sure you don't need reminding but it goes without saying, always backup important Data.

clam1952, Nov 1, 2017
  7. TTU
    TTU Win User
    Hi. Most companies have a policy where there is no charge if they can't salvage the data. The only silver lining is most of the companies are claiming a high percent success rate, even on SSD, so I'm hopeful I can still salvage the data.

I tried ubuntu when the hard drive was still attached to the computer and it was unable to be found. I know there shouldn't be an issue with the computer itself because the new hard drive I ordered works fine with it, so the connections atleast still work. I tried the SATA to USB as part of a cloning option I wanted to try, to no avail.

8. clam1952 Win User

clam1952, Nov 2, 2017
  9. TTU
    TTU Win User
    Thanks. Had a look. I was also wondering if perhaps there was some kind of software solution I can try on my end. Any specific ideas or experience regarding software and SSD's?

10. NavyLCDR New Member
    In order for any software only solution to work, the drive must be able to be detected. Yours is not able to be detected. The only chance you might have of data recovery is a new hardware interface to the storage unit of the drive, such as a controller board.

NavyLCDR, Nov 2, 2017
  11. TTU
    TTU Win User
    Makes sense, thanks. It seems my best option is to find a good data retrieval company that works on SSD drives. Any recommendations?

Thema:

1. Failed Hard Drive - No Bootable Devices found!! Advice please! - Similar Threads - Failed Hard Drive

2. No bootable devices found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No bootable devices found: Hi all, I’ve been using my dell g3 3579 for a couple of years now and I recently faced this issue.. My laptop was pre installed with windows 10 and I had recently upgraded to windows 11. By default, windows had come pre installed on the ssd.. I force shut down my laptop...
  3. No bootable devices found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No bootable devices found: Hi all, I’ve been using my dell g3 3579 for a couple of years now and I recently faced this issue.. My laptop was pre installed with windows 10 and I had recently upgraded to windows 11. By default, windows had come pre installed on the ssd.. I force shut down my laptop...
  4. bootable device not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bootable device not found: My acer nitro 5 laptop with i5 9th gen sometime shows bootable device not found error and sometimes it automatically gets fixed..can anyone tell whats the issue?I have tried to set default setting from bios but didn't work for me...
  5. No bootable device found

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No bootable device found: Hello, I decided to upgrade HP 630 with a SSD. I used my PC, Media Creation Tool and an USB stick to install Windows 10 on the SSD. It works on my PC. After putting it into the HP 630, a mistake occurs - no bootable device is found -- insert disk and press any key. I watched...
  6. No bootable device found

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No bootable device found: I've been using my laptop for a while. My hard drive got corrupted a month back so i decided to add an m.2 ssd and install windows on that. I had left my hard drive in with the installation. Yesterday i got my hands on a 2.5 inch ssd so i decided to replace my hard drive with...
  7. No bootable device found

No bootable device found: Whenever i turn on my pc it loads like normal and i see the dell logo but at the time it would usually have the login screen i get a screen that says no bootable devices found. How do i fix this submitted by /u/Max123543 [link] [comments]...
  8. No bootable device found

No bootable device found: Having a problem of no bootable device found but when the hardware scan is done it shows no defective hardware. Yesterday I reset window 10 thought it might occurs due to software problem. Laptop runs smoothly yesterday but today morning suddenly no bootable device is...
  9. no bootable device found

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    no bootable device found: can viruses/malware cause no bootable device found error and is there a way to fix it please respond https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-bootable-device-found/57540b3c-73f0-44aa-9e16-8dd0da5066d5
  10. no bootable device found

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    no bootable device found: Hi, Because of a virus I hard reseted my DELL XPS 15 9550 with the SupportAssist tool Unfortunately it said the error: *no bootable device found* after making a boot USB stick with another computer and using it as a bootable device there were no differences! please tell me...