Windows 10: Failed Media Creation Tool attempt at bootable USB flash drive

Discus and support Failed Media Creation Tool attempt at bootable USB flash drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, Ive just had another failed attempt at creating a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive on my laptop using the Media Creation Tool and setting the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sportsfan148, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Failed Media Creation Tool attempt at bootable USB flash drive

Hi,
    Ive just had another failed attempt at creating a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive on my laptop using the Media Creation Tool and setting the tool to use the USB flash drive as chosen media rather than the ISO method. It failed after the download had finished and at the point where it has verified the download and begins to create the media..it failed at 51% with an unexpected error screen. That was my third and final attempt with the same error at the same point every time..this time with a brand new flash drive. Im now going to use the Diskkpart method but Im still going to use the Media Creation Tool to download the Windows 10 ISO. Then use Mount and copy and paste the files over onto the USB. Am I going to be OK to download the Windows 10 ISO using the Media Creation Tool again or will it try to download the ISO to the same folder (wherever that is) on my hard drive causing possible corruption or conflicts with my new Windows 10 ISO download?

:)

sportsfan148, Jan 19, 2018
  2. 'Mike P Win User

Cannot create recovery drive or bootable usb using media creation tool

Ive never had luck letting the media creation tool put the installer to a usb drive. It either fails or the usb drive wont be bootable.

So I just download the .iso for use on another computer then use the little
    Rufus
    program to put it on a usb flash drive as bootable.

It needs a 8 gb flash drive or bigger.

'Mike P, Jan 19, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    reinstallation Windows 10

Insert an Empty Flash Drive into a USB Port

Download the Media Creation Tool as explained above

Run that tool

Select 'Create Installation Media for Another PC'

Select USB instead of ISO

The Media Creation Tool will download the necessary files and automatically create the bootable USB Flash Drive - do not interrupt this operation until it has completed!

DaveM121, Jan 19, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Failed Media Creation Tool attempt at bootable USB flash drive

Brink, Jan 19, 2018
  5. Hi mate,
    I think I might have given you the wrong impression. When I say I'm going to use Mount and Copy and Paste the files over to the USB I meant that I would download the Windows 10 ISO using the Media Creation Tool and then use Diskpart to prepare the USB flash drive. Mount the ISO and then copy and paste all the files over onto the Diskpart prepared flash drive.
    This is the method I mean to use rather than using third party software such as Rufus :-
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # <-replace # with the actual number of the USB flash drive
    clean
    create part pri
    format fs=fat32 quick
    active
    exit
    exit

Mount the ISO file. Copy files and folders over onto the USB flash drive.

So in my original question could there be any corruption or problems that could be caused by the Media Creation Tool failure that I described in my first post or would the two downloads be kept totally separate so no conflicts can occur when I use the Media Creation Tool to download the ISO again?

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I haven't tested if your method would work with UEFI, but it will work for Legacy BIOS.

Rufus is a standalone .exe file that doesn't install anything on your computer. It is a well trusted program. I like it since it makes the process very easy for both UEFI and/or Legacy BIOS.

Brink, Jan 19, 2018
  7. I got the instructions from NavyLCDR last week and Bree. Apparently it works on UEFI but I'm concerned about any conflicts the failed MCT download I had earlier might cause. That was my main reason for posting

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

As long as MCT can successfully download the ISO, you shouldn't have an issue with the ISO itself.

Brink, Jan 19, 2018
  9. Bat 1 Win User
    As long as the install esd or wim is under the FAT32 file size limit, I do the same as the OP and it boots on both MBR and UEFI without using 3rd party tools *Smile

Bat 1, Jan 19, 2018
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Shawn, these are the steps being referred to that NavyLCDR posted. They work for both UEFI and MBR.

Here are the steps to create a standard Windows 10 USB flash drive:

1. Use the Media Creation Tool to download and save the ISO file to your hard drive.
    2. Insert the USB flash drive.
    3. Open a Administrator Command Prompt and enter: diskpart (if it isn't an administrator command prompt, it will ask for administrator permission).
    4. list disk
    5. select disk # <- replace # with the actual disk number of the USB flash drive
    6. clean <- this will erase the disk selected above, make sure you selected the USB flash drive!
    7. create part pri
    8. format fs=fat32 quick
    9. active
    10. exit
    11. exit - and if the first Command Prompt was not an Administrator Command Prompt, exit that one too.
    11. Mount the ISO file saved by the Media Creation Tool. If you are using Windows 8 or 10, you only have to right click on it and click on mount. If you are using Windows 7, then you must use a program like WinCDEmu to mount the ISO file:
    WinCDEmu - the easiest way to mount an ISO. And more...
    12. Copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

That's as simple as it gets. Between steps 7 and 8 you can enter: "select part 1" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.
    Between steps 8 and 9 you can enter: "assign" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Failed Media Creation Tool attempt at bootable USB flash drive - Similar Threads - Failed Media Creation

2. Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?: Hello. I want to create a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10, so I can install Windows 10 on another computer. My question is can the media creation tool format the USB flash drive, or not? Can the tool format the USB flash drive in the best format for Windows? If not,...
  3. Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?: Hello. I want to create a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10, so I can install Windows 10 on another computer. My question is can the media creation tool format the USB flash drive, or not? Can the tool format the USB flash drive in the best format for Windows? If not,...
  4. Will Media Creation Tool automatically format the USB flash drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Microsoft Media Creation Tool - should this create a bootable USB drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Media Creation Tool - should this create a bootable USB drive?: Hi,I have a USB external Hard Drive one TB in size with two partitions. I made the first partition 32 GB in size and formatted it as FAT32. It was assigned the letter D:. I made a second partition that includes all of the remaining space, and formatted it as NTFS. It was...
  6. Microsoft Media Creation Tool - should this create a bootable USB drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Media Creation Tool - should this create a bootable USB drive?: Hi,I have a USB external Hard Drive one TB in size with two partitions. I made the first partition 32 GB in size and formatted it as FAT32. It was assigned the letter D:. I made a second partition that includes all of the remaining space, and formatted it as NTFS. It was...
  7. Microsoft Media Creation Tool - should this create a bootable USB drive?

8. WIndows media creation tool failed and ruined my flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WIndows media creation tool failed and ruined my flash drive: After the media creation tool failed to create a bootable flash drive, i can no longer recognize my flash drive. I have tried going into the device manager and uninstalling the device, checking for updates on drivers, it does not show up in the disk manager or anywhere else....
  9. Microsoft Creation Tool/USB Flash Drive

Microsoft Creation Tool/USB Flash Drive: So I used Microsoft Creation Tool to create a Windows 10 boot on a 235 GB Flash Drive. Reformatted the drive via Windows and after I only saw 32 GB usable and the remaining 205 GB of storage was unallocated. (couldn't use it) So, why did that happen? Anyway, I used...
  10. Does the Media Creation Tool create a bootable USB or DVD

Does the Media Creation Tool create a bootable USB or DVD: Does the Media Creation Tool create a bootable USB or DVD. If not how can I make it bootable? Jim 30984

Users found this page by searching for:

1. media creation tool usb drive failed

2. media creation tool failed

3. probleme media creation tool cle usb