Windows 10: Failed to set plaintext hotkey

Discus and support Failed to set plaintext hotkey in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] Started getting this error today. I've run chkdsk with the f switch. It doesn't tell you if it found any problems, but after rebooting the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by larrydonline, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Failed to set plaintext hotkey

Failed to set plaintext hotkey [​IMG]
    Started getting this error today. I've run chkdsk with the f switch. It doesn't tell you if it found any problems, but after rebooting the situation is the same. Advice, please. Thanks.

:)

larrydonline, Jan 15, 2018

2. S60/S^3 authenticated smtp server problems - Unable to send message

Thank you for your concern, again.

We have tested it throughly now and found the reason: there is smth wrong with CRAM-MD5 authentication (the technical part went over my head). The server and client could not resolve the auth method, thus authentication failed. We had never noticed it before
    as all the other clients decided to fall back to plaintext authentication when CRAM-MD5 failed and passed the problem point. Also, what confused me was it that it accepted mail for domains which were hosted in the same server, even when authentication failed.
    Apparently RFC does not require fall back to plaintext (instead it declares "the client MAY fall back to plaintext") so that's why your client does not have such a feature. However, most of the e-mail clients do that in case of failure.

The ISP administrator reconfigured the server so it now authenticates in secure way whatever happens.

So: THE SYMBIAN CLIENT IS OK sorry Failed to set plaintext hotkey :)

seppuku---01, Jan 15, 2018
  3. BKilpat01 Win User
    Store OpenVPN credentials in the Credential Manager

I use OpenVPN. In order to connect, I have to enter a username and password. I know that credentials can be stored in plaintext, but I would like to store them securely. FWIW, OpenVPN is also installed as a service. Is there a way that I can store the
    login credentials in the credential manager so that it can connect without me having to enter the password? Barring that, is there some way that I can set the integrity level of the plaintext file holding the credentials so as to limit access to it?

BKilpat01, Jan 15, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Failed to set plaintext hotkey

From what I can tell, this originates from the JoeJoe's freeware utilities, ArsClip. If you don't have the latest version (12/13/17) you might want to upgrade and see if that helps. Otherwise, you might have to uninstall that application until a fix comes through.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 15, 2018
  5. Thanks, Ed. I didn't suspect that since WINKEY+X is a normal shortcut to a menu in Win10. But I think you're correct.

larrydonline, Jan 15, 2018
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Hint: the ArsClip at the upper left-hand corner of the error message window -- thanks for including that BTW -- is what clued me in. Otherwise, I would've made the same assumption you did. Hope you get things fixed up without too much fuss or drama. Keep us posted on your outcome, please!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 15, 2018
  7. I haven't had that particular error message pop up lately, however I'm still having problems with icons in my task bar ignoring the right mouse click. Even the folder icon refuses to show me the file explorer. The left click on the search icon does nothing. But the right click does work. That's the only task bar icon that responds to a right click.

No click, left or right, works on the windows icon. Rebooting hasn't fixed this, but it only started acting this way within the last week. Malware Bytes doesn't find any virus. There shouldn't be any programs installed recently but I can't get to the control panel to check it out. Guess I could run chk dsk repeatedly. Is there a better switch than "f'" to use for this purpose?

larrydonline, Jan 16, 2018
  8. Eagle51 Win User

Hey larrdonline,
    If you haven't already, boot into safe mode and see if you can un-install that ArsClip to see if that fixes the issue.
    Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Otherwise, run the following commands ... see what/if they find/fix things

Open Command Prompt as Administrator

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    sfc /scannow

Note: They can take 10~15 minutes each to run, so be patient *Smile

Eagle51, Jan 16, 2018
  9. EdTittel Win User
    Let us know if you run into problems with DISM reporting itself unable to find the necessary files in its default source -- that is, with using the /source attribute properly. This can pose interesting challenges of all kinds.
    Please keep us posted!
    Best wishes,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 16, 2018
  10. At this moment it appears the problem was having ArsClip auto start with Windows. Since I use it during every session it seemed helpful to just have it start with the system boots but that appears to be what's been messing with my right click menu. If I run the program after booting it works fine and there is no problem with right click. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

larrydonline, Jan 18, 2018
  11. EdTittel Win User
    Easy fix then, and all you need to do is run the program when you want to use it. Seems like a reasonable workaround to me. Hope you feel the same way.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Failed to set plaintext hotkey - Similar Threads - Failed set plaintext

2. How to change hotkey settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change hotkey settings?: The hotkey for activating and deactivating the mic is functioning just opposite. when the indicator is on the mic remains off and when the indicator is off the mic remains on! It was not as that before I accidentally pressed a couple of keys together. Please help me....
  3. How to change hotkey settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change hotkey settings?: The hotkey for activating and deactivating the mic is functioning just opposite. when the indicator is on the mic remains off and when the indicator is off the mic remains on! It was not as that before I accidentally pressed a couple of keys together. Please help me....
  4. Hotkey

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hotkey: For whatever reason, whenever i hold shift for too long and right click, it opens bing. How do I disable this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hotkey/5fee9d9a-86b7-4761-9838-e1c681675d20
  5. hotkeys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hotkeys: how to enable hotkeys in windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hotkeys/1eab513f-b71d-440e-b254-beea9635149e
  6. hotkeys

hotkeys: how to enable hotkeys in windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hotkeys/1eab513f-b71d-440e-b254-beea9635149e
  7. Hotkeys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hotkeys: I downloaded to Windows 11 and some of my hotkeys aren't working. For instance my mic key on the actual laptop and my camera key won't work. I use this as an extra layer when on teams or zoom meetings to make sure I'm muted or camera off. anyone else having this issue? Have...
  8. Hotkeys

Hotkeys: I downloaded to Windows 11 and some of my hotkeys aren't working. For instance my mic key on the actual laptop and my camera key won't work. I use this as an extra layer when on teams or zoom meetings to make sure I'm muted or camera off. anyone else having this issue? Have...
  9. Hotkey

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hotkey: My keyboards F4 key is not working and The backlight of my keyboard turns on by pressing Fn+F4 key. Is there any way to turn on the backlight through cmd or any other software? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hotkey/abb4c8ad-3f81-49b1-9be7-873e3d0d135e
  10. Hotkeys.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hotkeys.: Now I am the kind of person that tries to delay updates as much as possible because of things like this. But the latest one changed the start key view, as well as a search bar, and now every other time when I press escape witch I use at least 200 times a day, it throws me out...