Windows 10: Failed to validate product key problem strikes again

Discus and support Failed to validate product key problem strikes again in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello I have done many Win 10 upgrades without any problems but my current problem has taken 2 days out of my life!! without a solution. Here is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PAFOS, Mar 20, 2016.

1. PAFOS Win User

Failed to validate product key problem strikes again

Hello I have done many Win 10 upgrades without any problems but my current problem has taken 2 days out of my life!! without a solution. Here is the situation.
    I created a USB media drive using the Media Creation tool and have used it this week to successfully upgrade Win 8.1 systems so I know it works just fine. So yesterday wanted to upgrade a Win 8.1 system which is a full retail set up and has been activated for 2 years and still shows up as activated. I inserted the USB stick and ran the SETUP.exe file as usual to start the upgrade process and yes, the USB files were for the correct edition, after the usual pre-amble I got the message "Something Happened ---failed to validate the product key"---and of course it all stopped. Did this several times with same result. So to really verify that the Win 8.1 installation was OK I got the installation verified by Microsoft and it was just fine.
    First question----- why is it rejected ? any fixes ? as I see it many times on the Forums etc.

I now tried booting from the USB and doing the upgrade that way and selected the Upgrade route for installation declining to enter a product key and this then started to behave normally. Now I did not have enough time to do anything more so terminated the installation process after a few seconds. I was asked if I wanted to quit and said yes. I then returned to the Win 8.1 system and turned the PC off . Today I decided to do the installation and Booted from the USB again and went through the initial stages but the process stopped telling me that it had previously started an installation and to "remove the installation media" then reboot to normal Windows, then insert the Installation Media and continue the upgrade. This was the first time that I have ever seen this message so assumed that when I plugged in the USB stick again it would continue on its own somehow but it did nothing I then ran the SETUP.exe file again but then up comes the Something Happened unable to validate product key.
    So another question is ---what do I have to delete to remove the aborted installation history that Windows has remembered so that I can continue a fresh upgrade process.?
    Thanks for any help as I am now at a standstill *Sad
    Regards

:)

PAFOS, Mar 20, 2016

2. Windows 10 Upgrade - Failed to Validate Product Key

Hi

Thank you for your help.

I just deleted third-party antivirus, and problem was solved.

Boris Garbar, Mar 20, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade - Failed to Validate Product Key

Hi

I have Windows (10.0.10586) on my iwork10 dual OS tablet (model Cube i15-TCL made in China)

But Windows update every time failed.

I just turned off my Avira antivirus,

but when process of installation of new Windows begginning I receive message "Failed to Validate Product Key"

and installation canceled, error code 0x8007005.

On microsoft service site

(Windows 10 Setup has failed to validate the product key)

I read one of recommendations:

"...Press Windows key + X

Click Command Prompt (Admin)

Enter the following:

Licensingdiag.exe -report %userprofile%\desktop\report.txt -log %userprofile%\desktop\repfiles.cab

Hit Enter

Copy and paste the results in a reply to this thread for further analysis."

So that's what I did and contents of report pasted below:

<DiagReport>

<LicensingData>

<ToolVersion>10.0.10586.1106</ToolVersion>

<LicensingStatus>SL_LICENSING_STATUS_LICENSED</LicensingStatus>

<LicensingStatusReason>0x4004F401</LicensingStatusReason>

<LocalGenuineState>SL_GEN_STATE_IS_GENUINE</LocalGenuineState>

<LocalGenuineResultP>1</LocalGenuineResultP>

<LastOnlineGenuineResult></LastOnlineGenuineResult>

<GraceTimeMinutes>0</GraceTimeMinutes>

<TotalGraceDays>0</TotalGraceDays>

<ValidityExpiration></ValidityExpiration>

<ActivePartialProductKey>FC2HD</ActivePartialProductKey>

<ActiveProductKeyPid2>00325-80000-00000-AAOEM</ActiveProductKeyPid2>

<OSVersion>10.0.10586.2.00010300.0.0.101</OSVersion>

<ProductName>Windows 10 Home</ProductName>

<ProcessorArchitecture>x64</ProcessorArchitecture>

<EditionId>Core</EditionId>

<BuildLab>10586.th2_release_sec.170913-1848</BuildLab>

<TimeZone>Jerusalem Standard Time(GMT+02:00)</TimeZone>

<ActiveSkuId>0567073a-7d74-403b-b2d5-6b35da372d8d</ActiveSkuId>

<ActiveSkuDescription>Windows(R) Operating System, OEM_DM channel</ActiveSkuDescription>

<ProductUniquenessGroups>55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f</ProductUniquenessGroups>

<ActiveProductKeyPKeyId>5c2c06ed-28cf-f96d-7d19-c977dbb0312e</ActiveProductKeyPKeyId>

<ActiveProductKeyPidEx>03612-03258-000-000000-02-2052-10586.0000-2672016</ActiveProductKeyPidEx>

<ActiveProductKeyChannel>OEMFailed to validate product key problem strikes again :DM</ActiveProductKeyChannel>

<ActiveVolumeCustomerPid></ActiveVolumeCustomerPid>

<OfflineInstallationId>734840269400364433226458558427651461895754585637624922741866000</OfflineInstallationId>

<DomainJoined>false</DomainJoined>

<ComputerSid>S-1-5-21-1326695675-3399874296-1819590738</ComputerSid>

<ProductLCID>1033</ProductLCID>

<UserLCID>1033</UserLCID>

<SystemLCID>1033</SystemLCID>

<CodeSigning>SIGNED_INFO_PRS_SIGNED</CodeSigning>

<ServiceAvailable>true</ServiceAvailable>

<OemMarkerVersion></OemMarkerVersion>

<OemId></OemId>

<OemTableId></OemTableId>

<Manufacturer>Cube</Manufacturer>

<Model>I15-TC</Model>

<InstallDate>20170317160826.000000+120</InstallDate>

</LicensingData>

<HealthCheck>

<Result>PASS</Result>

<TamperedItems></TamperedItems>

</HealthCheck>

<GenuineAuthz>

<ServerProps>&lt;?xml version=&quot;1.0&quot; encoding=&quot;utf-8&quot;?&gt;&lt;genuineAuthorization xmlns=&quot;http://www.microsoft.com/DRM/SL/GenuineAuthorization/1.0&quot;&gt;&lt;version&gt;1.0&lt;/version&gt;&lt;genuineProperties origin=&quot;sppclient&quot;&gt;&lt;properties&gt;OA3xOriginalProductId=;OA3xOriginalProductKey=;SessionId=LicensingDiag;TimeStampClient=2017-11-11T05:58:23Z&lt;/properties&gt;&lt;signatures&gt;&lt;signature
    name=&quot;clientLockboxKey&quot; method=&quot;rsa-sha256&quot;&gt;CT8k1GK1zKAQq1EsuwOGjNym9YrU0Ex1Ku8JWybyEi/cgmc03aizFvi5ZvzbOI8w1r08G5qIRxL+8DFo7oNMyj6R++cJZKTdqil2bSKoXoyoYPKXyi+7+Fa8VRuiLvJUY8gETm0ucPsZaqlp8kXBrGL3JcGgW07MnzzGacUm0Kg=&lt;/signature&gt;&lt;/signatures&gt;&lt;/genuineProperties&gt;&lt;/genuineAuthorization&gt;</ServerProps>

</GenuineAuthz>

</DiagReport>

What's go wrong? How to solve this problem?

Thanks for help in advance

Boris Garbar, Mar 20, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

A couple of "first things first".

You can't do an upgrade by booting from the USB flash drive. You can only do an upgrade from running setup.exe from within Windows.

Second, in your current Windows 8.1, open an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt. Run:

slmgr /dlv

Post the result window here, we might see the problem there. It will not contain any unique identification information so you don't have to blank anything out.

NavyLCDR, Mar 20, 2016
  5. PAFOS Win User
    Hello
    Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
    Yes I appreciate that you cannot UPGRADE directly from a booted USB but it allowed me to try to get an upgrade via a different root but of course it still required me to use the setup.exe file to do it which is where I come unstuck
    The first thing I did when I got the error message was to check slmg /dli and /dlv which were ok. I have attached two screen shots showing this info As far as I can see there is nothing wrong---over to you !!
    Cheers

PAFOS, Mar 20, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, the activation looks complete. This is what I would do:

Make an image backup of at least the Windows 8 partition using a program like Macrium Reflect Free. Record the Windows 8 product key displayed by ShowkeyPlus from this forum.

From an elevated command prompt run: slmgr /upk
    then slmgr /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx with the Windows 8 product key you got from ShowkeyPlus.
    then slmgr /ato
    If you don't get an activation from slmgr /ato then do a phone activation by running slui 4.

That should deactivate, then reactivate Windows 8.
    Copy the gatherosstate.exe file from the sources folder on Windows 10 install media to the desktop. Run it as administrator and see if you get a genuineticket.xml file from it. Save that file somewhere.

Try the upgrade again.

NavyLCDR, Mar 21, 2016
  7. PAFOS Win User
    Hello Thanks
    I had already done all that slmgr stuff already and the screen shots you see were taken after re activation of win 8.1 but the update still did not proceed so did not go as far as the XML files production as it would not update BUT I decided to have a go by using the GET Windows 10 route from the GWX Icon and left the PC overnight ( very low Broadband speed) and this morning It had downloaded the files and I accepted the licensing etc. and now it is installing along the normal route so I am keeping my fingers crosses and will report back once it has finished one way or another
    Thanks again

Ok 2.5 hours later it has installed Win 10 perfectly !! still do not why it refused to validate product key at outset
    Thanks again

PAFOS, Mar 21, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

The only thing I can think of is that you did have the wrong ISO downloaded. An upgrade from the correct ISO file will not even ask for a product key. Glad you got it going!

NavyLCDR, Mar 21, 2016
  9. PAFOS Win User
    No---It was definitely the correct ISO used it several times on Identical systems Win 8.1 home X 64 it did not ask for any key but just gave the validity message
    Cheers

PAFOS, Mar 21, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Well, now you have the digital entitlement stored so you should be good for future re-installs if you need to!

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Failed to validate product key problem strikes again - Similar Threads - Failed validate product

2. validation of windows product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    validation of windows product key: I got the pre-installed windows 10 on my laptop and I was given the product key with it. After some hardware update I reinstalled to OS on my device, but this time during my windows activation my it shows that my product key is not valid. What should I do?...
  3. Product key Validation

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Product key Validation: Have had this PC for ages & all of a sudden after turning on today a msg appears in the bottom right corner "This copy of windows is not genuine",Windows7 build 7601. In the System prop where your product Key is Activate Windows. The problem is why after using this PC...
  4. Setup has failed to validate the product key

Setup has failed to validate the product key: how to fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setup-has-failed-to-validate-the-product-key/a8aecc05-6bcd-4cec-83eb-d67816fa959b"
  5. Windows product key validation

Windows product key validation: Hi, I had to replace daughters HP laptops hard drive. We have no backup or recovery disk. Purchased a HP recovery disk but it will not allow me to register Windows with MS. I was able to find a key in the BIOS. Would that be the original Windows key, and if so how do I...
  6. product key valid?

product key valid?: f I purchase Windows 7 how long is the product key valid? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key-valid/8fab35f1-2e59-4602-b007-b12c0799488f"
  7. Windows 10 setup failed to validate product key.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 setup failed to validate product key.: Ive been trying to upgrade my computer to Windows 10 from windows 7 32bit, i have license and a product key. i followed the instructions came with the email to install the software, but it only went through until setting up windows 10, then it gives me a notification that the...
  8. Setup failed to validate the product key

Setup failed to validate the product key: I am trying to upgrade windows 7 premium to windows 10. when I run setup I get the message: Setup failed to validate the product key. I have run the troubleshooter and get the following error message: windows update error 0x800F081 any help greatly appreciated......
  9. Error Message: Failed to validate the product key

Error Message: Failed to validate the product key: I have been trying to recover my girlfriend's Toshiba Satellite notebook computer. This computer came with Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed and several years ago, when Win 10 was offered for free, I successfully installed Windows 10 on this machine. Recently, the...
  10. Windows 10 Upgrade - Failed to Validate Product Key

Windows 10 Upgrade - Failed to Validate Product Key: Good morning all, I am trying to upgrade one of our Laptops in our lab to Windows 10 Pro. It currently has Windows 7 Pro on it, and when I attempt to use the DVD copy I burned I am getting the dreaded "Setup has failed to validate the product key". I went back to my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. setup-has-failed-to-validate-the-product-key-windows-10-pro-upgrade 2018