Windows 10: Failed update to 14316

Discus and support Failed update to 14316 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 10 Insider Preview 14316 - Error 0x80240031 Is there a way of clearing this error so I can try to download the update again.... *Mad 46650 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kingstonian, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Failed update to 14316

Windows 10 Insider Preview 14316 - Error 0x80240031

Is there a way of clearing this error so I can try to download the update again.... *Mad

:)

kingstonian, Apr 7, 2016
  2. Abe W Win User

Error installing Bash on Windows

I am in the insider build receiving the fast rings. I had the option to install, but it is was failing on the errors above.

Abe W, Apr 7, 2016
  3. How to avoid installing pending (build) update?

I am on 14316. Up to 14342 fails, and I know there is 14352 out, but it was after 14342 was downloaded and scheduled (and delayed), and waiting for install here.

riccardo.l, Apr 7, 2016
  4. Fafhrd Win User

Failed update to 14316

Is install.esd still on your machine? If you search and find it, copy it or move it to a folder, say, called ESD. Go to:

ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File - Windows 10 Forums

download the ESDtoISO file (3. in the tutorial) and extract the contents of the archive to your ESD folder. Read the Tutorial.
    Right click ESDtoISO.CMD and select Run as Administrator and select 2 for the faster method.
    After several Minutes an ISO file to setup your Windows updated build will be done.

You can then attempt an upgrade or clean install. You might be better to perform this whilst internet access is disabled, and update the new installation after it has installed.

If you cannot find the Install.ESD file, then you may need to reset your Windows updates and your insider status. It may take a while to receive the update after doing this in any case.
    See

Windows Update - Reset in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Insider Builds - Start or Stop Receiving in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Fafhrd, Apr 8, 2016
  5. Only 3.5mb in the $WINDOWS.~BT folder, so I did the reset ... will have to wait...

Thank you for your reply...*Biggrin

kingstonian, Apr 8, 2016
  6. 0x6A7232 Win User
    I had this error, and my $Windows.~BT folder was only 63 MB so it had obviously not really downloaded.

I used Disk Cleanup, and clicked "Clean up system files", then deleted the temporary Windows Setup files, and now Windows Updates is downloading 14316 instead of trying to install from a failed or corrupted download.

Why MS doesn't have better error detection for this is anyone's guess.

0x6A7232, Apr 9, 2016
  7. There are actually a number of reasons for this particular error to be seen. One blog for solving this type of problem goes into quite some details about the need to shut down any system protections like your av software, firewall, unplug any non essentials like an external hard drive or hard drive enclosure, printer, scanner, etc. Heres What You Can Do if Windows 10 Upgrade Fails

Generally having seen one upgrade after another by way of the Windows Updates the BT and WS folders have simply been overwritten if left intact by each newer build. Actually the Sources folder from the folder where the set up files are found to be unpacked is backed up else in case a repair install is needed since the main "setup.exe" file can started with a fast double click when simply browsing to the backup location on a separate drive.

Another reference you may want to look over on this besides other threads right here at 10F would be one MS Answers thread where you need to scroll way down to the bottom for the three steps outlined in how to deal with this type of error. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2e4619e?auth=1

Besides running into other references expecting you to download some app you might want to instead look into the Reset Windows Update Agent found only at the MS TechNet site! That will clear up any WU issues that could be preventing the latest from going on.

Night Hawk, Apr 9, 2016
  8. Failed update to 14316

Thanks Fafhrd, your suggestion worked...*Smile

kingstonian, Apr 9, 2016
  9. dbur Win User
    I tried all the clean boot, retry many times ( I probably downloaded 15GB of update over and over again trying to make this work), update from ISO, everything advised everywhere....

This is what worked for me finally:

from cmd:
    ------------------
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits
    net stop msiserver
    3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.
    ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
    4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.
    net start wuauserv
    net start cryptSvc
    net start bits
    net start msiserver
    ----------------------

When I stopped msiserver I noticed it said it was already stopped. So I skipped section 3 and just restarted all the services again. By this time I had created an install ISO and was using that, and after this it actually worked. I am now typing on my fully updated Win 10. What a pain this has been.

Hope this helps someone else.

10. Sorry to hear you had to jump through so many hoops there! debur But at least you were able to finally get working results. You shouldn't be seeing any of those anymore however since by the time the anniversaary as well as Insider 14393 came out the upgrade by update process had been going smoothly for most. The process has been going through some additional refinements since as well as to be bringing in some new features early next year.

Night Hawk, Nov 25, 2016
  11. dbur Win User
    I might add that a tool that helped me greatly (especially as I have 5-6 computers to update on a slow internet) is Portable Update. It collects and sorts all the updates and stores them on a USB drive which you can then take to each computer to do the updates and only download any update once. When it finds a new update needed it adds it to the store on the USB so it's there for the next update. Once I got past the update problems this does the job.

12. I suspect you would want a good 32gb if not 64gb size flash drive to insure covering all of them plus what will come later. Here I keep a few 128gb drives available for these types of situations as well as other data transfers that can come up.

The one thing that has come up recently where no flash drive can help was with a particular unwanted and certainly unneeded language pack type update where the update process would be up to 100% even and suddenly everything had to be reverted backwards 100%. The WU history later wouldn't even show the particular problem as even seeing a failed install. This had been seen on multiple desktops as well while lately the problem that seemed to last for weeks vanished.

Night Hawk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Failed update to 14316

1. Failed update to 14316 - Similar Threads - Failed update 14316

2. Update Fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update Fails: Hello, I am repeatedly seeing this message when trying to update.**** There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: * Feature update to Windows 10,...
  3. Failed updates, failed attempts at manual update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Failed updates, failed attempts at manual update: Hi, I've been unable to download some updates. Manual updates have also not worked. BACKGROUND System - Windows 10 Pro 1909 - 64 bit Additional security program - Malwarebytes FAILED UPDATES 03/01/2020 – KB2267602 version 1.311.368.0 - error...
  4. WLM 2012 woes in Windows 10 14316

in Browsers and Email
    WLM 2012 woes in Windows 10 14316: Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 14316 While running WLM 2012 I encountered a BSOD. Something to do with Kmode exception. After computer restarted, the WLM 2012 icon was solid white. Program would not start. Tried repair through Control panel Programs and Features. Program...
  5. Build 14316. Hyper-v Hypervisor greyed out

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Build 14316. Hyper-v Hypervisor greyed out: Build 14316. Hyper-v Hypervisor greyed out. I have Intel VT enabled in the UEFI BIOS. Any suggestions? EDIT: Processor i5 4460 which has vt-x capabilities. However Intel Processor id utility says it doesn't. Hypervisor worked with previous builds EDIT: When I...
  6. Installing and Running BASH on Windows 10 (Build 14316)

Installing and Running BASH on Windows 10 (Build 14316): So I went ahead and installed BASH to see if it will be of any use to me as as Linux and Raspberry Pi enthusiast. It's very easy. First, make sure that "Developer Mode" is enabled under Settings>>>Update & Security>>>For Developers [img] Then go to Turn...
  7. Card reader problem with build 14316

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Card reader problem with build 14316: Since this update my card reader caused me considerable grief, 15-20 mins to boot. This was a card powered by a PCI card. Removing the PCI card and card reader solved the problem. So I bought a reader that plugged into a USB 2 header on my motherboard, but this does not work...
  8. UWP app icons in Windows 10 build 14316 are corrupt

UWP app icons in Windows 10 build 14316 are corrupt: Pic: Screenshot - e3291153f0df01ad3d2174770a3e7379 - Gyazo As you can see, the Win32 app icons are completely fine, but all of the UWP app icons are corrupted. They almost appear as if they're running in some sort of safe mode. Any suggestions? 47775
  9. Problems With Sleep With New Build 14316

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems With Sleep With New Build 14316: Hello All, I never had problems before with this computer and testing different preview builds, but this new one has really given me some sleep issues. The computer does not automatically go to sleep so I have to manually make it go to sleep. That is just one issue and not...
  10. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14316

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14316: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Hi everyone, Today we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14316 to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. At Build 2016 last week, we shared new experiences and new opportunities we’re creating for developers...