Windows 10: Failed W10

Discus and support Failed W10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Currently using desktop. Yesterday I downloaded W10 on my notebook (it had been in order for me to do so). After many hours, and updating, I thought... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by joodyanne, May 13, 2016.

1. joodyanne Win User

Failed W10

Currently using desktop. Yesterday I downloaded W10 on my notebook (it had been in order for me to do so). After many hours, and updating, I thought I'd have W10 working, but amongst the updates I saw W10 cancelled, or failed. No idea why. I can't find any evidence of W10 being on this notebook and have now started to download again. Can you tell me what may have happened?

Judy

:)

joodyanne, May 13, 2016
  2. Lisa_589 Win User

Windows 10 wont recognize my external Seagate HD

If they are both w10 and w10 has a problem seeing the large drive, how do you know the seagate has failed?

Lisa_589, May 13, 2016
  3. GrumpsBradley, May 13, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Failed W10

We don't have enough information to diagnose what happened, but we can save you a lot of time downloading Windows 10 over and over again. Make yourself a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD:
    USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

To upgrade to Windows 10 you insert the USB flash drive or DVD like you were going to read files from it. Then just run setup.exe from it from within your current OS. Sometimes the upgrade works from the flash drive or DVD when it doesn't work directly from online. In most cases, USB flash drive is better than DVD.

NavyLCDR, May 13, 2016
  5. simrick Win User
    Hi joodyanne and welcome to Tenforums.

Not sure exactly why the upgrade failed, but it happens. I would suggest you check out the following tutorial:
    Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

You're best bet, would be to follow the "prep" work, and then upgrade using a W10 ISO from MSTechBench, rather than trying the Windows Update method again. You can watch the first part of the video for the prep work, then skip to about 14:40 to see how to upgrade a W7 machine using the ISO procedure.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. *Smile

simrick, May 13, 2016
  6. joodyanne Win User
    I don't have either of these at the moment.

Am sending snapshot of two files for you to look at. The windows 10 was downloading a second time when I wrote to you. I never had these problems when I downloaded windows 10 on desktop (tho I removed it)

Failed W10 [​IMG]

Failed W10 [​IMG]

joodyanne, May 13, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    If you follow the method in post #3, you won't need a USB flash drive or DVD.
    I will recommend, however, that you make sure all your data is backed up, just to be safe. *Smile

simrick, May 13, 2016
  8. joodyanne Win User

Failed W10

Thanks Simrick - will give it a go - I can't understand the abbreviations but no doubt I'll find them when I look at the tutorial.

joodyanne, May 14, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    Anything you don't understand, just ask. *Smile

simrick, May 14, 2016
  10. joodyanne Win User
    First question, I went into that site but could not find what you suggested

joodyanne, May 14, 2016
  11. simrick Win User
    Here is the link for MSTechBench ISOs.
    Tech Bench

Select your edition: Windows 10, KN, N, Single language (if you don't know which, you're probably using regular Windows 10).

Click Confirm.

Select your language.

Click Confirm again.

The links for x86 & x64 will appear for you and are good for 24 hours. Select your bitness and commence downloading to your desktop.

simrick, May 14, 2016
  12. simrick Win User
    It's bed time for me. Hope things go well for you! *Smile

simrick, May 14, 2016
  13. joodyanne Win User

Failed W10

Thanks Simrick - no hurry - and thanks again. It still has a way to go yet, downloading

joodyanne, May 14, 2016
  14. simrick Win User
    Okay. If any questions, please post and someone else may pop in to answer you. Night. *Smile

simrick, May 14, 2016
  15. joodyanne Win User
    Will do, thanks. Sleep well!

joodyanne, May 14, 2016
Thema:

Failed W10

1. Failed W10 - Similar Threads - Failed W10

2. W10 VPN Error: The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 VPN Error: The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a...: Hi guysI recently replaced my hard drive with a SSD and used a clean install on Windows 10 via flash drive / recovery media. All has gone fine, except when I try and log on to my VPN I get the error: The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a...
  3. W10 VPN Error: The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 VPN Error: The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a...: Hi guysI recently replaced my hard drive with a SSD and used a clean install on Windows 10 via flash drive / recovery media. All has gone fine, except when I try and log on to my VPN I get the error: The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a...
  4. W10 VPN Error: The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 11 install from W10 failing on 2nd boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 install from W10 failing on 2nd boot: It says it can't find the boot device. I updated everything, clean booted, disconnected everything except kbd and mouse, tried installing from usb, updated the bios, TPM enabled, the install is not finding the drive for some reason. Any Ideas on this?...
  6. Windows 11 install from W10 failing on 2nd boot

Windows 11 install from W10 failing on 2nd boot: It says it can't find the boot device. I updated everything, clean booted, disconnected everything except kbd and mouse, tried installing from usb, updated the bios, TPM enabled, the install is not finding the drive for some reason. Any Ideas on this?...
  7. Cumulative updates 21H2 and 22H2 fail to apply on W10 20H1

Cumulative updates 21H2 and 22H2 fail to apply on W10 20H1: Hello. In the past years I tried to update the system a few times. Antivirus, driver and other software updates did complete flawlessly, however it seems that Windows Update did not update Windows' core components at all. For security reasons I would like to finally update my...
  8. Cumulative updates 21H2 and 22H2 fail to apply on W10 20H1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cumulative updates 21H2 and 22H2 fail to apply on W10 20H1: Hello. In the past years I tried to update the system a few times. Antivirus, driver and other software updates did complete flawlessly, however it seems that Windows Update did not update Windows' core components at all. For security reasons I would like to finally update my...
  9. Cumulative updates 21H2 and 22H2 fail to apply on W10 20H1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Increasingly common BSOD on W10 - wdiwifi.sys failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Increasingly common BSOD on W10 - wdiwifi.sys failed: Since December of 2021, I have been occasionally getting BSODs with the same error messages each time:Stop Code: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLEDWhat failed: wdiwifi.sysIn the past few days, these crashes seem to have become increasingly more common. I have gotten two more...